Eternity

Eyes

A sigh escaped my coral painted lips as I threw my aching body onto the leather sofa. My legs stretched out the length of the couch as I leaned back on the expensive designer pillows. I heard two sets of heels and a squeaky pair of converse echo up the stairs as the girls went upstairs to change. Forks prom had winded down and thanks to Alice Carlisle and I had been assigned to chaperone and just like any other prom the night consisted of nothing but rebellious, horny teenagers. Bella was staying the night seeing as the boys were going "camping" over night.

The girls soon came back down all dressed down in their comfortable clothes Rose and Alice carrying baskets containing makeup, hair accessories, and nail polish. They settled down on the floor before me and four distinctive thuds echoed from the second floor as the boys arrived. It no time at all each of them came down changed out of their suites and into casual clothes. They went to their respective woman and gave her a kiss.

Hands began kneading into my shoulders softly and I held in a groan as Carlisle lowered his head by mine.

"partied out?" he chuckled. I opened my eyes and playfully glared up at him. He smiled and kissed me good and hard. "We'll be back later have fun girls."

"Alright they're gone. Start back on the story? We should be close to when you meet Carlisle for the first time" Rose suggested comparing two nail polishes in the light. I sighed expecting this to come up.

"Give me a minute" I sighed dashing upstairs and emerging not even a minute later in yoga pants and a half button top. I folded my feet under me as I sat back on the sofa and thought. My hands molded into my hair and removed the bobby pins holding my thick curls up and pulled my mane into a lose side ponytail.

I scoffed softly "I can still her Madame Estelle's voice echo in my head. 'Back strait. Bosom out. Bottom out. Head high. Eyes level."

~~*~*~~*~*~

The tip of the quill scratched onto the parchment as I copied the speech of a French King Mr. Roth told me the memorization of it would be in my best interest learning the key points and hidden warnings within. Mr. Roth sat beside the fireplace flipping through my work of this week critically inspecting for mistakes. I breathed in discomfort as I straightened my back up once again. My poor country girl posture being put align by a tight corset and harsh criticism. As I turned back to the parchment and found my place in the book again the door opened and Estelle stepped in.

"Mr. Roth would you mind giving Elianna and I moment alone please?"

He nodded and left mumbling something along the lines of self praise and 'extreme improvement in the simple country girl' before leaving the room.

I stood smoothing the front of my dress and curtsied. "My lady"

Estelle nodded her head in acknowledgment before clasping her hands back together before her in deep thought. A deep crease forming on forehead.

"This Sunday will be your first introduction to the public under my care." she began. "It will be a simple Sunday morning visit but you're behavior, your image will reflect me and my family name. Am I understood?"

I gawked at Estelle for a moment. I had been at the estate nearly a month and not once was allowed off the grounds nor had I seen any form of life outside the estate other than Mr. Roth "Yes ma'm. Ill do my best not to disappointment."

Estelle nodded "Gabriella and Anastashia will help decide an appropriate dress tomorrow."

~*~

"She just holds the family name in very high regard Elianna. She didn't mean anything by it. When Aunt Estelle feels her reputation might be put at stake she likes to lecture us to give her a mental authority boost."

I sighed nodding my head in an attempt to make myself believe what Gabriella was saying. I had nearly made myself sick for fear I would disappointment Estelle. Gabriella was shifting through the dress in my wardrobe and had pulled out a beautiful maroon dress this far Anastasia sat in a chair in the corner concentrating on her needle work.

"Maroon won't do" Anastasia tisked "Ill be wearing a rose colored gown and she must not resemble me"

Gabriella rolled her eyes before sifting through the dresses once more. "Oh" she gasped pulling out a gown that was a unique shade of blue trimmed with lace. " This will look absolutely exquisite with your eyes"

~*~

I released another sigh as I clenched my clammy hands together as the carriage bumped down the road. Gabriella sat beside me staring off into the passing scenery. The corset was tied particularly tight today courtesy of Anastasia. The scenery converted from countryside to the buildings of London and we passed quite a few beautiful cathedrals but continued on. Soon the streets became filthy and trash filled and the buildings haggard before we stopped.

As the carriage driver opened the door and Estelle and Anastasia I questioned Gabriella about my discovery.

"Aunt Estelle's grandmother was a poor woman. Her grandfather was a wealthy builder who built this church. He began attending the church to promote his business and soon met the grandmother they fell in love and the family has come here ever since. Aunt Estelle practically had to drag Uncle once they were married, but it became a tradition. Also it comes across as a great charity in the eye of society to see such a high rank of socialites coming to such a church in the bottoms " she explained.

"A rutty dump indeed, why I could be surrounded with others of our kind had I accompanied Andrew to the Cathedral in the town square" Anastasia griped adjusting the neck of her gown to show slightly more of her bosom.

"Yes I'm sure the members of the cathedral would just love too see your flounce around with young Lord Andrew with your bosom on show. Why they might just cast you out as being a jezebel just imagine the thought!" Gabriella laughed and I covered my mouth with my gloved hand to hide my chuckle. Anastasia huffed and Estelle told us to behave ourselves.

I stepped out of the carriage. Immediately we were welcomed by the church gowers as the four of us entered the large dark cathedral. The lighting illuminated dimly from the flickering candles as I followed up the stairs to the balcony. Each took a seat on the wooden pew and with a flick of their wrist withdrew their fans to cool themselves. I followed suit as Gabriella pointed out some of the more adamant members of the church. I glanced up more toward the front of the church and noticed an attractive man shaking hands of a haggard old woman who was adorned in mismatched rags. He greeted her with a warm smile and I felt a flutter as my heart warmed at his action. I found myself smiling as he helped the woman to her seat before returning to the alter and taking a seat in the large wooden chair off to the left next to a young girl with strawberry blonde curls.

"Gabriella" I nudged her gently. "Who's that there on the alter?"

"Oh that. That's Carlisle Cullen. He's the son of the pastor. He has the biggest heart of any man I've ever seen and that girl beside him is his sister Cora, she's a sweet little thing."

"Carlisle" I mused testing the name on my lips gazing down at him. He was most certainly attractive. Light blonde hair was combed back and his face glowed with warm welcome. A straight nose fit nicely at the center of his face and his medium lips pulled into tight lines as he laughed revealing a set of straight teeth. High cheekbones ended near eyes that squinted as he laughed. I wondered what color they were? As if he had heard my question his eyes diverted from the two gentlemen he was conversing with and met mine. My breath caught in my throat as his eyes met mine clearly catching my stare. I turned my head and caught myself in a conversation with Gabriella again. I glanced back at the preachers son to see he had rejoined the conversation with the other two men occasionally throwing glances my way. I sighed in slight disappointment. I still couldn't tell what color his eyes were..

The service concluded an hour and a half later and the pews soon drained as everyone filed out of the grand double doors shaking hands with the pastor as they went. I began to pull my satin gloves back on my hands as one fell to the ground. Before I could blink the glove was retrieved and being offered back to me, My breath caught in my throat out of embarrassment. I reached for it my trembling fingers wrapping around it.

"Thank you" I stuttered out still keeping my gaze down as my cheeks flushed.

"You're very welcome" a masculine raspy voice replied. I felt my gaze slowly begin to raise to meet a warm smile.

"Allow me to introduce myself I'm Carlisle Cullen." he set a hand out expectantly my still bare hand was placed gently in his.

"Elianna O'Conner." I said in a soft voice for fear if I was any louder my voice would break. His soft, warm lips met the skin of my knuckles ever so softly.

"What a beautiful name" he complimented raising his eyes back to mine.
I blushed and replied with a thank you.

"You are under the care of the good Duchess I presume?"

I nodded "yes I am. Almost two months now."

"You mean to tell me Duchess Estelle" Carlisle began gaining Estelle, Gabriella and even Anastasia's attention. "That you kept this beautiful creature hidden away for two months?"

Estelle released a gentle laugh "I was giving the child time to settle in. Of course you would know that if my good pastor would bring his children and himself to the manor for supper every now and then."

Pastor Cullen let out a hearty laugh from beside Estelle "I should get right on that Estelle."

"Yes you should come visit and meet the young Lord Andrew! He and Anastasia have been courting for quite some time now."

"It would be my pleasure" Pastor Cullen nodded.

I turned back to Carlisle pulling my glove back on and steadied my voice.

"It was a pleasure meeting you Mr. Cullen. I hope to see you again in the near future?" Carlisle smiled and grabbed both of my hands in his.

"Even sooner may God permit" He brought his lips down to both hands and I soon envied the two satin gloves as they absorbed Carlisle's kiss but I could still feel the warmth even through the barrier.
"Goodbye Miss O'Conner It was an honor and privilege to meet you."

"As it was for I" I breathed.

"Elianna" Estelle called sweetly seemingly pleased with my progress "We're leaving."

"Goodbye Mr. Cullen, Miss Cullen, Pastor Cullen" I nodded at each of them before beginning to follow Estelle out of the church.

Anastasia sighed "That Carlisle sure is a fine man"

Estelle nodded "Yes he is. Very polite."

"And handsome. Wouldn't you agree Elianna?" Gabriella asked a mischievous twinkle in her eyes.

I kept my head bowed a blush on my cheeks as my finger slid delicately over where Carlisle's lips had been only minutes earlier.

"Yes very handsome." I sighed thinking back at how attractive he was and his eyes... His eyes were the most extraordinary mix of blue and green.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment and rate!