Status: 'Tis the season (almost-but that's good enough)

The Magic of Macy's

Niall The Liar.

Maybe it was because I had a tendency to drink too much, but the next thing I knew, I was bringing Niall back to my (exclusively mine) apartment. But, simply just to talk more privately.

“No funny business.” I chastised. He shook his head innocently.

“I wouldn’t dream of it, love.”

“Niall is a liar.” I giggled at my rhyme. He joined in as I unlocked the door.

“Niall the liar.” He smirked, getting a little too close to my face for my liking.

There was a crash, and an, “Oh shit!” as I pushed open the door.

I flicked on the lights, revealing two scantily clad men. I tilted my head, taking the scene in. If I wasn’t drunk, it probably would have been a much bigger deal, but my senses weren’t at their peak. “By gosh, Sebastian, I thought you were moving out!” I giggled and Niall gaped at his band mate as he hurriedly put on a shirt. “I will not have you wrestling with famous people in my apartment.” I crossed my arms defiantly.

“Is she?” Sebastian asked worried.

“Completely pissed.” Niall muttered, apparently more sober than I. “What the bloody hell is going on here? Liam?

“Why were you two wrestling on the ground without clothes?” I pointed absentmindedly at them.

“I don’t think they were wrestling.” Niall whispered in my ear. Liam and Sebastian stood frozen by the couch, caught red-handed in something I probably should have seen.

Oh,” I nudged Niall, “This is that same gender date I told you about earlier, Bond.”

“Bond?” Liam’s voice was an octave higher as he grabbed onto that word, hoping to direct the situation anywhere but his affairs.

“I like to be called James Bond in bed.” Niall shrugged, smirking at me. “Don’t I?”

“You’re gross!” I giggled, running forward and jumping on the couch. It was warm.

“He wants to sleep with me again, Seb.” I sang, “What should I do?”

Bloody hell,” Liam muttered. “I should go.”

“Why?” Niall questioned, blocking the door, “I think we can all have a grand ol’ time together here, yeah? I think we should catch up. I haven’t been able to talk with my good friend Sebastian in a whole year!” He slapped Sebastian’s bare skin making a wet smack noise.

“Yes!” I sat up, tugging Liam back onto the couch. “We can all wrestle!”

Liam’s brown eyes widened. Sebastian covered his reddening face. “Oh, my God, could this get any worse?” He cried.

There was silence for a few moments, almost as if we were waiting for it to actually get worse.

There was a sigh of relief and I grinned at Niall happily.

He returned the gesture before glancing at Liam. “Mate, put on some pants. You’re making me uncomfortable.” He chortled.

I’m making you uncomfortable?” He gawked.

“I mean, I’m all for your life style choice,” Niall went on without interruption, “But I’d like to talk about this without your dick looking at me.” Liam’s face burned scarlet as he spastically put his jeans back on.

“Is he why you’re leaving me?” I asked with sad, puppy dog eyes.

Sebastian’s face softened and he ran sweaty finger through my hair. “I think we should talk.”

“You were keeping secrets from me.” Tears welled up in my tired eyes. “You’ve never done that before. You know I hate secrets, and surprises, and spiders.” I mumbled incoherently.

“Ah, the big three.” Niall nodded in agreement.

“I’m sorry I quit.” I sobbed. The atmosphere was no longer playful and embarrassing. It was tense and somewhat tragic. “I don’t want you to leave me. I’ll go back tomorrow. Just please,” I begged, “Don’t leave me.”

Liam swallowed, desperately wanting to leave this nightmare but Niall kept him at bay. “No you don’t.” He whispered to Liam.

Sebastian slid down next to me on the couch. “I’m sorry I lost it like that this morning.” He murmured, “I didn’t want to keep it from you. I really didn’t, Luce. But it was for the best. We didn’t want anyone to know.” He gestured to Liam.

“Why?” I asked innocently, leaning into his shoulder, “Were you embarrassed?”

He sighed heavily, “It’s not like that.”

“I have a girlfriend.” Liam confessed, “That’s why. And I’m so sorry, Lucy. It wasn’t my intention to get you involved. I was just so…wrapped up in myself that I forgot Seb had people who counted on him.” He buried his face in his large palms, shaking his head.

We sat in silence for long, agonizing minutes. Niall made eye contact with me and we held each other’s gaze. I still hadn’t forgiven him, and these turn of events had definitely hampered my attempt to.

“As long as you’re being safe.” I broke the silence, shifting awkwardly. “But, you’re right, Seb. Maybe it’s time to move on. You should get your own place and not have to worry about me.” I forced a smile, “I’ll be okay.”

“I’m not just moving out, Luce.” Sebastian pinched the bridge of his nose, forcing himself to speak, “I’m moving out of the country. I’m moving to London.”

I stared down at the hardwood floor, letting that blow settle. “Oh,” was all I could muster before standing up, “I think I’m gonna go to bed. You should probably start packing. I want you out by tomorrow.”

“Luce,” Sebastian tried, but I blocked his attempts to apologize, “Lucy.”

I shook my head, suddenly feeling incredibly sober and—once again—betrayed.

“We should go now.” Niall muttered.

“No, you stay.” I commanded, grabbing his callused hand as I made my way to my room. Sebastian tried calling me again. I could hear his voice break but I didn’t look back. I shut the door quietly behind us, locking us in. Niall stood stiffly in my room, remembering clearly the last time he’d been in here was when he had confessed something he shouldn’t have.

I lay down on the frumpy bed, “Stay with me.”

He obliged. The bed lowered under his weight. I curled into him, facing his bright blue eyes. They glittered with a thousand emotions but I was only searching for one. The one that had been there when he said he loved me.

“I still haven’t forgiven you.”

“I know.” He whispered back, pressing his lips against my clammy forehead. “But, I still love you.”

“I know.” I answered, “But I don’t know if it matters anymore.”

“I’ll make it matter, I promise, Luce.”

“Don’t make promises you can’t keep.” I said wisely.

“I don’t plan to.” He answered softly.

“But, you’re Niall the liar.” A small, shaky laugh fell from my lips.

“That was last Christmas.” His thumb pressed light circles into my cheek.

“Last Christmas I gave you my heart,” I sniffed, “But the very next day, you gave it away.”

“Yes, but now I’m coming back for you, back for you, back for you, you-u-u-u.” He sang softly, bringing a miniscule smile to my face.

And soon after, I fell unconscious.