Harbor Lights

Prologue

Ablaze the night, in harbor lights...

I heard Kendall's familiar verse begin to echo throughout the venue, sounding muffled from my spot backstage yet clear enough for me to understand his every word.

"Girls, let's go!" I half said, half whined to Callie and Jenny, who were leisurely primping and adjusting themselves in the theatre mirrors. Neither of them paid a bit of acknowledgement to my existence.

The song went on as the girls continued their grooming, well past the chorus and the next set of verses; James.

Ain’t talked enough, let’s talk some more…

"We're missing their entire set," I proclaimed irritably.

“Don’t you mean you’re missing Kendall’s entire set?” spat Jenny suddenly, her cold eyes set on mine now and paying no mind to her makeup. “Or maybe all of a sudden it’s not Kendall you’re worried about. Are you a little confused?”

“Excuse me?” I was at a loss for words. It was no secret that Jenny was a bitch; the things she said and her daily shenanigans rarely shocked me anymore, but this time I really had no idea what the hell she was talking about.

“Never mind, Nessy,” Jenny smirked insincerely, brushing past me and motioning towards the side stage. “Don’t wanna miss the concert now, do we? You girls coming?”

“It’s Nessa,” I replied with the same false smirk Jenny had shot me.

I took a long, hard breath, containing my frustration and reminding myself, it’s Jenny; this is her MO. I followed close behind her with Callie silently by my side as we headed out the side stage exit through a narrow hallway and subsequently into a sea of screaming girls to our second row seating.

“Oh and Nessy,” whispered Jenny finally as we claimed our seats, “I forgot to tell you when you arrived… welcome to Hollywood.”