Say Something

Eleven

Danny glanced at his phone for the millionth time on the Flyers road trip. It had been four days and Gwen would not take his calls or answer his text messages. She had stood him up on the date he had planned, not that he was surprised. Claude still was not speaking to him, also not surprising. The team plane had just touched down in Philadelphia and Danny exited the plane last. Zoe waved to him from her car where she waited on Max. He waved back and crossed the lot to his own car. He made the drive back towards home, pulling off to pick up his dogs from the vets office. The door dinged to announce his arrival as Danny stood in the doorway.

“Hey,” he managed, crossing to the reception desk.

Gwen refused to meet his eye. “Hello Mr. Briere. Let me have someone bring your dogs out,” she said politely.

“Gwen, please. Look at me.” he reached across the desk and grabbed her hand. She glanced at him then. “What time do you get off? Will you come over so we can talk?”

She shook her head. “I have someplace I have to be.”

“Livvie?” She nodded. “Tomorrow?” he asked hopefully. “Please Gwen, we should talk.”

“Are you and Claude talking?”

Danny frowned. “No, he is not speaking to me right now,” he admitted.

“I can’t, Danny. I’m sorry.” She walked away quickly and asked someone else to take the two dogs out to Danny and handle his bill. She stuck her head in her bosses office. “I’m leaving. Thanks for everything, Doc. I’ve really loved working here. And if you ever need help, you know how to reach me.”

Dr. Steph smiled warmly at Gwen. “We’re gonna miss you but you enjoy yourself, okay?”

Gwen smiled and began to say goodbye to the others. She gathered up her things and headed for her car. Danny leaned against it.

“Danny, please,” she said flatly. “I really need to go.”

“I know I screwed up, Gwen. Please, let me take you to dinner.”

“No. I’m sorry Danny but no.”

He sighed and stepped away from her car. He grabbed her hand and kissed it gently. “I won’t give up. I’ll do whatever it takes,” he promised as he dropped her hand. He walked towards his car and Gwen climbed into hers. As she pulled away, he knew what he had to do next.

Danny cornered Claude before practice the next day. “We have to talk about this,” he stated simply.

“No we don’t,” Claude replied.

“Claude, please. I know you’re mad at me, I would be too. Can we please talk, after practice? I need to make this right.”

“For who? Yourself?” Claude snarled.

Danny shook his head. “For her.”

“Fine, after practice. I’ll follow you to your place?” Danny nodded.

“Thank you.”

“Don’t thank me yet. Without any of our teammates to stop me, I might finally get the chance to punch you.”

A sharp knock at the door startled Gwen who was enjoying a soak in the tub. She didn't know it was possible to hurt this much and she hated herself for her part in coming between Danny and Claude. She was glad Livvie was spending her spring break with her dad and she could wallow alone. She sighed when the knocking became persistent. She climbed from the tub and wrapped a towel around her tightly. Leaving a trail of wet footprints behind her, she checked through her peephole to find Claude on the other side of her door. She opened the door quickly.

“What are you doing here?” Gwen asked in surprise. Claude looked her up and down and grinned. Gwen blushed. “Do you know the effect that smile has on women?” She stood aside so he could come inside and shut the door behind him.

“I’ve heard stories,” he replied.

“Give me a minute to make myself decent.”

“I don't mind this look.”

She punched his arm. “Jerk,” she teased. She disappeared into her room and slipped on a pair of jeans and a t-shirt. She ran a brush through her wet hair, the curls already taking on a life of their own. She rejoined him and he patted the spot beside him on the couch.

“I talked to Danny today,” he announced without preamble. She stared at him, not sure what to say. “Do you like him?”

She fumbled for words. “I...I..uh. Oh, Claude. I can’t do this.”

He reached for Gwen’s hand and held it in his, tracing small circles on the back of her hand. “Its okay, Gwen. Just tell me. Do you like Danny? He really likes you. I’m just the idiot you didn’t see it.”

Gwen’s cheeks flushed hot. “I’m sorry, Claude.”

“You don’t have to be sorry, Gwen. Just tell me.”

“I like him,” she said quietly. Claude smiled.

“Was that so hard?”

“I don’t want you to think I didn’t like you though.”

“I know you do but it’s Danny. You two have more in common than we do.”

“Its not because of Livvie, Claude. You are so good with her. You’ll be an amazing dad one day. Its just, I felt something when I met Danny but you asked me out first and well, look at you. You’re incredibly good looking and you’re such a great guy. I never wanted to hurt you and I made Danny promise that I wouldn't come between you two, even though I knew it was a promise he couldn’t keep. God, I hate the way I sound right now, I'm such a cliche. ”

Claude chuckled. “Its really okay, Gwen. And you're not a cliche. You're honest and I like that about you. Most girls wouldn't bust up a make out session on the couch with me to tell me they had kissed someone else, let alone my teammate."

"Do you think we can be friends?"

"Only if you talk to him,” Claude told her. She shook her head. “Gwen, listen to me. You have to give Danny a chance, I mean it. I’m okay with this and if you need my permission, I’m giving it to you.”

“Claude...”

“Danny and I talked for like two hours after practice and...” He let out a breath. “You need to talk him and let him explain for himself, okay?” She hesitated. “Think about how happy you’ll make Zoe; I bet she'll give you a raise.” Gwen giggled and Claude pulled her into a hug. “Please call him.”

“Okay, I will.”

“Now tell me I'm the best ever.”

She laughed then and hugged him again, placing a soft kiss on his cheek. “You’re the best ever, Ginger. And you’ll make some girl really happy one day, I promise.”