Say Something

Two

Winter in Philadelphia was a far cry from what was considered winter in North Carolina in February but Gwen was loving the mild weather as she accompanied Zoe the following week on a trip to Charlotte to help sort out loose ends in Zoe’s move to Philadelphia and to assist in making sure everything went smoothly in the transition. Zoe had taken a chance with her, giving her the opportunity to be her personal assistant, something Gwen did not truly have any experience at. She had been working the last several years as a receptionist by day, waitress at night and she still planned to work weekends at the animal hospital as a receptionist. She was glad for the new path in life and was excited to see where it led. She and Claude had spoken a couple times during the week and she was looking forward to their dinner plans when she got back into Philly.

“I hear you have a date with Philadelphia’s favorite ginger,” Kayleigh said, taking a seat opposite Gwen in the conference room in the Charlotte. Zoe had stolen her friend away from her previous job at a rival PR firm to head up the Charlotte office. She had also recently ended a toxic relationship with her now former boss but seemed happy and relaxed about it.

Gwen blushed. “It’s just dinner,” she offered.

Kayleigh grinned. “Nothing is just dinner with that man. He’s fine as hell. I’m not sure how Zoe always ends up with hunky friends but we certainly appreciate it. Make sure she introduces you to the Penguin players next time they’re through town.” She fanned herself. “Sidney Crosby and that ass are worth the looksie.” Her phone buzzed and she looked down to check the text message, a smile playing on her lips. She typed back and almost immediately the phone began to ring. “Sorry,” Kayleigh apologized. “Gotta take this.” She stepped out of the room and crossed the short distance to her office and closed the door, leaving Gwen alone in her thoughts.

Zoe entered the room as Kayleigh passed. "Who is she talking to?"

"She didn't say," Gwen said. "But as quickly as she left and that smile on her face, I'd say its a guy."

"Hmm," Zoe said thoughtfully. "She hasn't mentioned anyone." She shrugged her shoulders. "I'll get it out of her later. Lets talk about you; you excited for your date?"

"I am looking forward to it," she answered slowly. "He's very good looking," Gwen admitted.

"Don't let those boyish good looks fool you. Claude will go after what he wants hard until he gets it. Not Danny though. There's something fiercely quiet in the way he goes after a woman. Tentative maybe but sure."

"I'm sure he has no trouble with women."

"No, just careful. The divorce was hard, and now him raising his sons. Well, that's pretty sexy, the responsible single dad part," Zoe admitted with a wink.

"How does Max handle you?" Gwen giggled. "I've known you for three weeks and you speak your mind on everything."

Zoe laughed. "I told Max early on I picked the wrong teammate. Danny is a fantastic friend; I just want him to be happy. He deserves it. I'm sure you've heard the stories."

You had to be living under a rock not to have heard the stories. Danny's divorce was one of several dramatic episodes the team had dealt with in the last several years. "I'm sure the stories aren't all true," Gwen said.

"They're not. Danny is better than that." Gwen nodded in agreement as her mind wandered. "So, Claude" she continued, pulling Gwen from her Danny daydream. "Let me tell you how that's going to be so you can be prepared. It'll be different than anyone you've ever dated before."

~*~*~


Gwen returned to Philadelphia a day ahead of Zoe, landing in Philadelphia in the early afternoon. Claude texted her shortly after she landed.

You back in town?

Just landed.

Pick you up at 7?

Ok. I'll send you my address.


At home, Gwen unpacked her bags and put everything away. She flipped on her iPod and did a quick clean up. Even though she hadn't been home in a week, it helped calm her as her nerves began to take over. She threw a load of laundry in the washer and then opened her closet to figure out what to wear. After trying on a dozen outfits, she finally settled on jeans tucked into a pair of brown riding style boots. She slipped a cream colored cable knit sweater over a camisole and grabbed her favorite purse, light blue with an all over floral pattern. A girl on a budget, she had searched far and wide for the Jason Wu purse when it had been released at Target the previous year.

Gwen glanced at the time on her phone, finding it to be a quarter to seven. She dashed for the bathroom, throwing on the faintest touch of makeup. As she spritzed on a dab of her favorite perfume, the doorbell rang. She shook out her curls and ran a quick comb through them before answering the door.

Claude leaned against the door frame, that boyish grin on his lips. "Hey," he said. "You look great!"

"Thank you. Let me just grab my purse and jacket." She darted back inside, returning moments later with her purse in hand. She locked her front door and followed Claude outside. He held the door open for her to her building, and then to his car as she settled inside the plush leather interior.

He drove across town to a swanky restaurant, pulling up to the valet stand in front. He guided Gwen into the restaurant, one hand at the small of her back. The hostess led them to a private table near the back of the restaurant. Gwen rolled her eyes at the girl as she flirted with Claude, standing just a step closer than necessary, her voice breathy as she eyed him up and down. Claude guided Gwen into her seat at their table and dismissed the hostess while holding Gwen’s gaze.

“I should’ve warned you about that,” Claude said as he took his own seat. “Some girls have no shame.”

Gwen laughed. “I would think that the no shame part wouldn’t bother you.” His face turned crimson and Gwen giggled. She reached across the table and patted his hand. “Tell me you don’t like the attention.”

He relaxed at Gwen's touch. “It’s not bad,” Claude admitted with a grin. “You are very calm about it. Most girls would be ready to fight over that.”

“Zoe gave me a little heads up on how this would likely go down for me so I would be prepared. Honestly though, it doesn't bother me. It just means I must have the hottest date in the room.”

Conversation flowed easily between them throughout the meal. Claude talked about how the games the previous week had been, and how he got started playing hockey and Gwen shared with him about her childhood. As he paid the bill, he suggested heading to a bar so they drove the short distance there. Several other players were there and Claude steered her towards where the others were gathered around a table.

"This is Gwen," Claude said to them, placing an arm around her shoulders and pulling her close beside him. Gwen smiled as Claude introduced each of the other men. "Hey Danny, you remember Gwen, right?" Claude asked as Danny approached the table, beers in hand.

"Hi, Danny," Gwen said with a bright smile.

"Good to see you again," Danny replied. He passed beers off to some of the others.

"Beer?" Claude asked Gwen. She nodded and he sauntered off to the bar. Danny stepped into the empty space beside her.

"Date?" He asked her.

Gwen blushed but it was too dark inside for Danny to notice. "Yes; we just came from dinner. The nights young, right?" Danny smiled at her. Inside he was uneasy but pushed the feeling aside.

Gwen noticed then a woman approach Claude at the bar. Danny followed her gaze and frowned. The woman ran her hand up Claude's arm before giving his upper arm a squeeze. She leaned closer to whisper something to him as the bartender handed him his drinks. Claude smiled at her, the smile that melted a thousand panties, disengaged himself from her grasp and quickly crossed the room back to his date. He rolled his eyes as he handed Gwen a beer.

"Sorry," he murmured close to her ear.

"It's okay, Claude," she replied with an easy smile. "I get it; you're hot." Gwen reached her hand out and twirled one of his tousled curls around her finger.

"Let's dance," Claude said, tugging her hand and leading her out to the dance floor.

Danny watched the exchange between them with interest. He was impressed with how easy going Gwen was about the woman. Most girls freaked out when things like that happened but Gwen was certainly more mature about it than some girls would be. His eyes followed them to the dance floor, watching her as she danced with Claude. He held her body close to his and he wanted to charge in and pull that body against his and kiss away any thought of Claude she had. He shook his head to clear the thought. No, Claude was his friend and he deserved a good girl to be with. Danny turned away from them and joined a conversation with some of his teammates and several women who had come over. He immediately began to flirt with one of them.

She was giggling like a schoolgirl, one hand wrapped around Danny's arm as she batted her lashes and smiled at him. Gwen's eyes narrowed as she and Claude approached.

"Looks like they've acquired some bunnies," Claude said to her, taking her hand in his.

Gwen smiled at him and nodded. She wanted to shove that girl to the floor and tell her that Danny was hands off. Claude left her standing at the table while he retrieved more drinks for them. She turned to the others, rolling her eyes at the other women. Her hands clenched into fists as the woman let her hand come to rest on Danny's chest.

"Come dance with me, Danny," Gwen heard herself say, in a confident and cool voice she didn't know she had. She crossed over to him and grabbed his other arm, steering him out to the dance floor with her. The song changed and a slow one began and Gwen froze, not sure what had just come over her.

Danny wrapped an arm around her waist and pulled her into him and they began to move to the music. She fit perfectly against him as he breathed in her delicious scent again. He liked the feel of her in his arms but he pushed the feeling down. She's with Claude he repeated over and over in his head like a mantra.

They lingered a moment longer as the song ended before breaking apart and rejoining the others. The girl was gone when they came back and Claude eyed them as they approached. Gwen smiled at him, what she hoped was a calm, reassuring smile. She held his arm as she went on tiptoe to whisper in his ear. "Zoe would've killed me if she knew I let a girl like that go home with Danny."

Claude laughed. "You are probably right about that," he whispered back. He put an arm around her and pulled her close to him. He cupped her chin with one hand and lowered his face to hers, his lips softly connecting with hers.
♠ ♠ ♠
Happy Thanksgiving! Today I am thankful for: Canada, Russia, Sweden, hockey boy donkey booty, the Charlotte Checkers, and a number of specific players I will not list out here but am very thankful for. Hope all you lovely readers and subscribers have a great turkey day! :)