Reckless & Relentless

My Only Home Is The Bottom of The Bottle

Cassie ran a hand through her soft brown waves, knowing she was leaving the recording booth for the last time for the next few months, something she was actually very happy about. She didn't like it in that booth; Cassie thought it was too small to be comfortable, as she was mildly claustrophobic.

"Okay, Cass, let's do that track one more time, then we're done, and you're free to go. We need to talk tours here pretty soon, though," yelled Katelynn, her manager, into the mic, making Cassie wince at the volume coming through the headphones. Cassie nodded, signalling she was ready, and the music started all over again.

"It's not quite a mystery.
I'm the one who's insecure,
you're the one that makes believe,
that we're all okay, we're doing fine,
when we're both fighting just to stay,
to stay alive,
a fragile state of mind,
that I can't quite survive.

Without a doubt, I need your help.
I know you've heard me ask before,
but come on girl, I need to tell you now,
I know what I've done wrong.

The only way out of here is the way I've avoided for all my life.
There's so many things I wanna say,
but there's too many things still in the way.
I'm lost, please help me find my place.
You're the only one, please lead me out of the dark.
Please lead me out of the dark.
Please lead me out of the dark.

I'm moving on, I'll promise change,
if you will let me in again, I swear today,
I'll be a better man.
I'll be who I was then.

It's been a long two years,
I can't change the past,
I've shed so many tears,
Can't believe I've lasted this long.
I see now that I'm wrong.

The only way out of here is the way I've avoided for all my life.
There's so many things I wanna say,
but there's too many things still in the way.
I'm lost, please help me find my place.
You're the only one, please lead me out of the dark.
Please lead me out of the dark."


Cassie finished the song, and looked up at Katelynn, who gave her a thumbs up. Cassie exited the booth, and Katelynn caught the younger girl in a tight hug. "Have I ever told you how much I adore you?" Katelynn asked, squeezing Cassie's shoulders.

"Oh, shit. What happened now?" Cassie said with a laugh. Katelynn did this whenever she wanted Cassie to do something she didn't think the younger woman would agree to.

Katelynn grinned. "So, Austin wanted me to invite you to go out with all of us tonight," she said, and Cassie groaned. She just wanted to go home; where she could look ugly and enjoy it, as Cassie so often joked. "Come on, you never get out. I just want you to have fun, maybe meet someone," Katelynn joked, bumping Cassie's hip with her own.

Cassie sighed, running a hand through her hair. "Fine. Just this once, because you asked me so nice," grumbled the younger woman, and Katelynn squealed in delight. "What are we doing?"

Katelynn shrugged. "The usual, going out to a bar, possibly a club after. Getting shit faced," she said with a giggle, and Cassie rolled her eyes, but still smiled. Katelynn was a party girl through and through, even if she was extremely responsible and motherly when it came to Cassie, that is, unless a party was involved. Then, Katelynn was determined to get Cassie to go out and have fun.

"Now, get your ass home, sleep for an hour, and then get ready to go. Austin and I will pick you up at eight."

Image


Right at eight o'clock, Katelynn was knocking on the front door of Cassie's house. Cassie opened the door with one hand while pulling on her favorite leather jacket. Katelynn smiled when she saw Cassie's outfit; it was so typical Cassie that it looked adorable. Iron Fist heels and the rest of the outfit built around those. Her makeup had a hint of purple in the smokey eye, most likely because of the purple in the shoes.

"Ready?" questioned Katelynn, and Cassie nodded, following the other woman down the driveway to Austin's black sedan. Cassie slid in the back on the passenger's side, surprised to find someone else back there. The only people she knew out of the entire group were Katelynn and Austin.

Austin turned to look back at Cassie and the stranger. "Cassie, this is Phil; Phil, this is Cassie. Now, hug each other and be best friends," Austin introduced them, then ordered.

Cassie giggled, and Phil did, too. They both glanced at each other, seeming surprised to hear the other make any noise. Austin frowned when neither of them made a move towards the other.

"Hug, damn it," he muttered, and Katelynn giggled. It was such an Austin thing to do, attempt to be the matchmaker with his two most socially awkward and quiet friends.

Phil rolled his eyes at Austin. "You're ridiculous," he muttered, but awkwardly placed his arm around Cassie's shoulders, giving her a gentle squeeze. "Hi, Cassie. I'm Phil," he said, letting go of Cassie's shoulder's before turning to Austin. "There, happy?" Phil questioned Austin, who raised his eyebrows.

"Cassie didn't hug you back."

"Oh, for fuck's sake," grumbled Cassie, wrapping an arm around Phil's neck and hugging him as best she could in her seated position in the car. "Now, are you happy?" she asked Austin who grinned.

"Yes."

"Of course you are."

The rest of the drive was silent; it was only a few minutes anyways, the bar they were headed to was only about a mile from Cassie's house. Or, as Katelynn liked to say, "within stumbling distance". Cassie thought all the drinking was kind of ridiculous; she didn't drink much, but thought herself to be surrounded by alcoholics. Which, in all honesty, she sort of was. Cassie stayed out of the soft conversation between Austin and Katelynn, preferring to keep to herself and stare out the window at the familiar city flashing by.

Phil, on the other hand, was having a hard time keeping his eyes off of Cassie. He'd thought she was beautiful when he'd seen her on TV, but, in person, she was absolutely stunning with her dark hair and blue eyes mixed with cream skin. Phil couldn't keep his mind from wondering if that cream colored skin was as silky soft as it looked, what it'd be like to rest his hands on her hips and have her body pressed up against his.

Cassie could feel Phil practically staring holes in the back of her head, and was beginning to wonder what he was looking at. She turned her head slightly, catching his gaze and sending a shy smile his way. His eyes widened slightly, and he glanced away for a moment, before bringing his hazel irises back to her blue.

Before anything else could happen to make the situation in the back seat anymore awkward for the pair, the car shut off, and Austin announced they were at the bar. Cassie quickly escaped the car, practically Velcro-ing herself to Katelynn's side as they entered the bar. Phil didn't try to go near her again, not wanting to relive any of the awkwardness from the car.

He watched as she sat down next to Alan, who immediately started chattering to her, and watched as a tiny smile curved up the corners of her lips. Then, Phil looked away, and moved to go talk to Tino, who had calmly observed the whole thing.

"Dude, you're whipped and I bet you haven't even said ten words to her," Tino teased as soon as Phil sat down beside him.

Phil frowned at Tino, who was grinning. "Fuck, I know," he finally admitted. "And, you know what? It wasn't even five."

Tino let out a loud laugh. "And you say Austin's crazy. Why the hell aren't you over there talking to her?" he questioned, and Phil shrugged, saying it would be weird if he interrupted her conversation with Alan. Tino raised an eyebrow. "That's the shittiest excuse I've ever heard. You've been head over heels for this girl since you first heard her singing, and now ya don't even have the balls to go talk to her."

Phil shot a glare his band mate's way, but Tino knew that would be the kick in the ass that got the other man to go talk to Cassie. And, he was proved right a moment later when Phil stood from the table they were at, and walked over to take the bar stool on the other side of Cassie, who looked away from Alan's animated expression to smile at Phil, who immediately turned bright red.

Tino continued to watch as the two began to converse, and Alan moved over to sit at Tino's table. "You made him go talk to her, didn't you?" Alan asked, keeping his voice low.

Tino smiled. "Hell yeah, I did."
♠ ♠ ♠
Cassie; Studio
Cassie; Bar
Thank all of you for the comments/subscriptions/reads/recs. c: It makes my day brighter when you comment. :3
Song credit: Lead Me Out of The Dark, Crown The Empire.