Sister, I'm Feeling Pretty Safe, Dead in a Home-Made Grave

Unnerve the Bright Red Day

Today, I decided I was going to see Mikey. His grandmother had given me a message, and I would give it to him. I remember reading somewhere that the reason ghosts existed was because they were bound to the earth by some unfinished business. If Elena was still running around, it meant that she needed to say something to Mikey or have something funished, but we all knew that ghosts could only communicate with those that could see them... but why could I see them? That was the real question.

I sat on my bed. "Gee..."

"Yeah?" He was sitting behind me, rubbing my shoulders to try and get me to relax.

"What if Mikey doesn't believe me?"

"Faye, he's been your friend for years... I'm sure he'll believe you."

"Yeah," I said, though I didn't fully believe it myself.

"And even if he doesn't, what's the worst that's going to happen?"

"I don't know, Gee, that's the problem..."

He nodded. "It's going to go fine, I'm sure," he said, trying to reassure me. He got off the bed and walked over to my dresser. He grabbed my hair brush and came back. Gerard starting running it through my hair. "Did I ever tell you that you have some beautiful hair?"

I smiled. "No."

"Well, you do." He stopped brushing and rested his chin on my shoulder, wrapping his arms around me. I could feel his warm breath hitting my neck. "Now, calm down, OK? It's going to be fine, I promise..."

"But how do you know?" I asked him, glancing over at his face.

"I just do."

I nodded and got up, grabbing my Hello Kitty bag from the door knob. "Wish me luck?"

He walked over and pecked me on the lips. "You don't even need it." He smiled at me, and turned me around. "Now, go! You know how Mikey gets when you're late!"

Laughing, I walked out of the house and got into my car. I was supposed to be at Mikey's house in ten minutes. He hadn't moved too far away. It wouldn't be too hard to get there, either. I pulled up to his new house in exactly eight minutes (I was speeding, so thank god no cops caught me). I got up and knocked on the door, inhaling deeply.

When Mikey opened the door, I could hear three other voices inside of the place. Oh great, I thought. It would be hard enough telling Mikey. Why did I have to do it with all the other guys around. When I walked in, I was greeted with a thousand different hellos all at once, and I felt my nerves kick in.

"So, Faye.." Mikey said as he closed the front door. "You wanted to tell me something?"

Everybody else kept on talking, so I decided I would just say it. It wasn't like anybody was going to hear it.

"I talked to you grandmother yesterday," I said. At that moment, everyone, and I mean everyone, shut up.

Mikey just stared. "Faye... what are you talking about?" Nobody said a word.

"Mikey, what question do you ask her?" I looked at him.

He just stared at me funny. "Faye, is this supposed to be some kind of joke?"

"Mikey, she said for me to tell you that the answer to the question is 'Every day', and she also wanted me to tell you that... that she's sorry for... she's sorry... for moving the van last week, she just wants you to use it again... instead of keeping it locked up so you can forget that she gave it to you... she just liked it so much..."

Mikey shook his head slowly. "Faye... this isn't funny, please stop. This isn't funny..."

"Mikey, it's not a joke! This is for real!" I said, begging. I just wanted him to believe me. I needed to say something that would make him believe me. Mikey started to walk away, and I followed him, but Frank tried to grab me. "MIKEY!" I yelled. Mikey wouldn't stop walking. I struggled to get away from Frank. "Gee says he misses you!"

Mikey stopped in his tracks. Frank's arms reluctantly let go. I ran up to Mikey and Mikey turned his head to face me. "Faye, I don't know why you would do this to me," he said. His voice was cracking, and his eyes were watering. "But this is a really cruel joke."

Mikey walked into his room and slammed the door. "Mikey!" I ran over to the door and tried to open it, but it was locked. "Mikey, this is for real! I'm telling you! I'm not kidding!" Frank and Ray looked at each other as I started pounding on the door.

Ray walked out into the kitchen and grabbed the phone. Frank came up and tried to grab me and get me back downstairs. "GET OFF!" I yelled struggling to pull away from him. I was beginning to cry myself. "FRANK! Get off! I NEED TO TELL MIKEY! I need to tell Mikey!" I was flailing around, but I couldn't escape his grip.

Frank forced me to sit down on the couch. "Calm down, Faye, can you tell me what happened?" he asked.

I looked around. I felt the room get colder. I saw shadows everywhere. They chanted my named. I started screaming. "NO!" I yelled, scrambling up against the couch, but I saw them all coming towards me. Their bodies were mangled and bloody, at least some of them were. "GET THEM AWAY!" I screamed. In a last ditch effort I backed up against the wall, cowering in fear, tears flooding from eyes. These weren't the friendly the ghosts I was used to...

Once I was backed up, sitting in the corner, I saw him. My eyes grew wider. The shadows had taken up the whole room. There was no Frank, no Ray, no Bob. There was no house either. The man was completely blacked out in shadows excepted for his sinister grin. "We're coming for you..." he choked out in a cracked, deep voice. I screamed bloody murder. Screames kept coming out. I clenched my eyes shut and wished Gerard was there, but he wasn't coming. Where was he? Where was Gee? I needed him, and he wasn't here...

The shadows began to fade, and I heard Ray from the kitchen. "They'll be here soon." He saw me screaming. Frank looked worried. I didn't know how much time had passed. I never opened my eyes, but when I did I saw men in white coats in front of me, kneeling down to my level, looking at me and talking to me, though I couldn't understand them. I could only see them. Frank, Ray, Bob and Mikey stood over in the corner of the room. Mikey was crying.

I looked at them worriedly, but then the men in white tried to pick me up so I stood on my feet, and they started forcing me to walk away... but I didn't want to go. I thrashed violently. "LET ME GO! LET ME GO!" I screamed, my voice raspy and cracking.

"It's OK, we're going to take you to a safe place," they said to me, but I wouldn't cooperate. Gee told me everything was going to be fine... This wasn't fine.

"GERARD!" I cried out. "GEE! WHERE ARE YOU!?" I heard Mikey crying again. "YOU TOLD ME IT WOULD BE OK!" I elbowed a doctor in the stomach, and I fell to the ground, crying again. "YOU PROMISED!" I yelled. The doctor recovered, and they pinned me to the floor until I couldn't move. I looked at Frank, but he turned away from me.

"YOU PROMISED!" I managed to scream through my tears. I felt a needle pierce my arm.

"You promised, Gee..." I said, crying. My vision become blurry, and everything started to black out.

"...you promised..."