Sister, I'm Feeling Pretty Safe, Dead in a Home-Made Grave

I Can Feel You All Around Me

There was no reason for me to fear Gerard showing up at my job, either. No, wait. Yes, there was, because I knew he would, just like he did today.

Of course, I worked at the new Starbucks. I loved coffee, so where else would I work? You met the coolest people in coffee shops too. However, the fact that I worked at Starbucks probably made it all the more appealing for Gerard to show up and hang around there.

Just as I had finished putting more money into the register, I felt cold air rush behind me. "Hello there, Gee," I said nonchalantly when I was sure that nobody was paying attention to a single thing that I was doing.

"Damn, you caught me," he said, looking disappointed. "Oh well," Gerard said. "So, how how's work?"

"It's alright, but if somebody finds me, I'll probably look like a crazy person..."

"So?" he said in reply. "Crazy people are the best kind!" Gee was laughing the whole time.

"Not legally crazy ones though, which is what they'll think I am if you keep showing up while I'm in public, you dork," I said, turning around for a second and sticking my tongue out.

"Whatever, whatever," he said. "When do you get off?"

I looked at the clock. "Now... actually."

"Well, great!" he said. "Now we can go home, watch lifetime movies together and cry!"

I rolled my eyes. "Sure thing, you sissy little girl." I joked with him.

"Hmmm, you should get me some coffee before you go," he said, a finger on his chin, eyes directed towards me in a glance.

I laughed and sighed simultaeneously. "Fine, Gee, if you really need it," I said.

He squealed and hugged me again, like he had in the store that one day. Just then, Mikey walked up to me. "Faye!"

"Mikey!" I said, pulling away from Gerard and running over to the lanky bassist I had grown to love since our childhood. I glance back at Gerard. He suddenly looked morose and upset.

"Who were you talking to?" he asked. "I thought I heard you say Gee..."

I shook my head. "No... I think your paranoid delusions are getting the best of you, my friend." I laughed a little bit.

He nodded. "Probably," Mikey admitted. He looked at his watch. "Ah, shit, gotta run. I'll call you later?"

"Sure!" I said. "Bye!" I called to him as he left, waving to me.

I looked at Gerard. Gerard was staring at his feet. I walked over to him and looked at him. "You miss him, don't you?"

He just nodded solemnly. I quickly tried to change the subject. "So, uh, howabout that coffee, huh?" I asked him, smiling. "I'll get it..." I went behind the bar and started to brew the coffee, mixing together everything he liked on it, at least as far as I could remember from when I had been on tour with them. Once it was done, I put the lid on and smiled at him. He seemed happier now, but he wasn't saying too much.

This time, he followed me out to my car, and he even got into the passenger seat. I put on my seatbelt. He sat there with his coffee in his hand. It was hot, but I wasn't sure if you could burn a ghost... I put the keys into the ignition, but I want to ask him one more thing.

"Want McDonald's?" I asked.

He cracked a smile and nodded to me. "That sounds... great," he said, and we drove off to the nearest McDonald's.

That night hadn't gone too badly, really. We went home, sat on the living room couch. I ate my chicken nuggets and Gerard and I threw french fries at each other, all while watching Lifetime movies. And we didn't even cry once.