Sister, I'm Feeling Pretty Safe, Dead in a Home-Made Grave

It's a Long Road When You Face the World Alone

The more time I spent in the house with Gerard, the more and more I realized that I needed to get out and find some real friends, and maybe even a boyfriend, somebody stable, somebody I could rely on. It was hard trying to rely on a ghost, especially one as moody as Gerard. One day, he could be the nicest person in the world, and the next, he could be a total jerk. I guess it depended on what side of the room that single beam of sunlight fell. His room smelled funny too. I didn't think ghosts could give off odors. I guess you learn something new everyday.

I didn't want to tell Gerard that, but I also didn't want him tagging around all the time. How was I going to meet people with him following me around, making me look like a crazy person? I wasn't sure how anything was going to go over, but I was hungry, so I was going to Starbucks for some breakfast. However, Gerard wasn't awake yet. I had checked and made sure, so I knew he wouldn't be following me around this morning. I wanted some quiet, maybe talk to some people. I maybe thought that if I had a boyfriend I wouldn't feel so incredibly... strange.

So, I drove out to the local Starbucks, the one where I happened to work, and I bought my coffee and a slice of lemon-glazed pound cake (yeah, healthy I know, but it had all the same stuff cereal had in it, so was it really that much unhealthier?). I got a discount for being an employee here too, so I was going to take full advantage of it. I sat down at a table by myself, just eating my cake. I dyed my hair black with pink streaks the other day, so it was pulled into a ponytail that I let hang over my shoulder. I was wearing really big glasses to hide the bags under my eyes that I was too lazy to cover with make up.

Just then, somebody sat across from me. I looked up. "Hey," he said. "Remember me?"

I grinned. "Of course I do!" I was sitting across from Patrick Stump. I remembered touring with Fall Out Boy as a roadie just last year. "It's so good to see you!" I said, smiling at him. Patrick was so unbelievably sweet. Now, there was a guy I wouldn't mind bringing home to my parents. "Why are you in Jersey?"

"Well, we have a few tour dates here," he explained, nodded and sipping out of his cup. I didn't know what he had, and I was too interested in talking to him to think about it. "So we came early to get into a hotel and get settled in, you know?" He was staring at me. "You haven't changed a bit, he said, tugging at my hair.

I giggled. "Nope, and neither have you, Pat." Just then, I felt it get colder.

"He just wants to get into your pants," Gerard said, sitting at the table behind me. I ignored him and just listened to Patrick talk.

"Oh!" he said. "So, we have a lot of catching up to do."

"...in your pants, he means," Gerard said, sneering.

"Yes, yes we do," I said, ignoring Gerard the best that I could.

"I can't talk for very long right now, though," Patrick explained. "We're throwing a record release party for a new band on Fueled by Ramen."

"The party's in his pants,"Gerard said, snickering maniacally. "... And you're invited, Faye."

I was so angry I could have burst. "Oh..." I said, trying not to snap. "That's a shame."

"I know," Patrick said, scratching the back of his head under his hat. "Well, we could get together tomorrow night before the show though." He nodded.

"...so you can suck him off," Gerard muttered out of the corner of his mouth.

"WILL YOU SHUT UP?" I said, turning around quickly. The guy two tables down stared at me with a frightened expression and moved to a farther table. I looked back at Patrick, who also looked a bit frightened. "Sorry..." I said.

"OK, so uh, you don't seem to be in a great mood... I'll let you go..." Patrick said.

I nodded. "I'll call you later?" he said.

"Sure!" I said, scribbling down my new number on a napkin. "Here! I just moved, so there's my new number," I said, smiling, thought I felt incredibly awkward. Patrick nodded, gave me a smile and a hug and left, leaving me alone with Gerard. I whirred around, ready to snap, only to find that the coward had disappeared again. I threw out my trash and stormed out into the parking lot. I looked up at the sky and let it all out.

"GERARD WAY! I FUCKING HATE YOU!"