Vampires Will Never Hurt You

Chapter 2

I wake to find the night sky above me. The pain that earlier was searing through my body is now completely gone leaving my whole body feeling numb. A metallic taste, like blood, fills my mouth as I run my tongue along my teeth, finding two giant fangs in the place of what were two normal sized teeth. What's going on!? Everything is different, somehow. Wrong.​​

​​​​​I hear a whimper to my left and turn to see, hidden in shadows, Mikey curled up in a corner between the wall and a skip. Except that he's not Mikey; his skin is pale white and his lips and eyes are deep red. He looks nearly dead.
​​​
He turns to me, his crimson eyes lighting up a little, shuffling slightly closer but not leaving the shelter of the shadows.
​​​
"Mikey, it's okay," I tell him. "What's wrong? Come here." With that he creeps over to me, falling into my arms. "Shit, they didn't come back, did they!?" I ask, panicking. "Because if they did anything to you I'll fucking-"

​​​​​"No, Gee, it's fine! They didn't come back. But... I don't think that they needed to. I think... God Gee, this is going to sound so insane... I think that we're vampires. I know it's impossible but it's all I can come up with, oh god!"
​​​
Vampires? That would actually make sense, I guess. Well, except for the fact that they are fictional creatures! But Mikey's right, I can't think of any other explanation.
​​​
"How come no one came to help us? You know, phone 911, or take us to hospital or something?" I ask, more to change the subject than anything else.
​​​
"They tried," he replies. "There were a few people that saw us; that cam over to help, but I scared them off. I didn't want people near us, not while I don't understand this. Like, what are we meant to eat? Or... Drink? Before you came to help, that's what they were trying to do. They were trying to drink my blood, Gee! And if that's what I am going to be like then I don't want to be round people. I won't be a monster!"

​​​I can tell that Mikey's been awake a lot longer than me, he's had time to think this through, where as I am still trying to wrap my head around the concept.
​​​
"If vampires are real," I say, "and we are ones, then are we like vampires in books and movies? Or are bits different?"
​​​
"I don't know. I was thinking about it while you were out. I mean, vampires don't sleep. But then maybe that's why we woke up. You know, because the transformation finished or whatever."
​​​
It feels weird talking like this, reasoning for something that cannot be true. It feels like when we were young and used to try to prove the assistance of comic book characters and mythical species, only this time it's our existence.
​​​
"And what about the sun?" he asks, glancing up and the dark night sky. "If the sun comes up, will it tear the skin right off our bones? Or burn us to death? It was grey and cloudy yesterday. Dark. Maybe that's the only reason that Andy..."
​​​
He stops, his forehead creased. This must be hard for Mikey, he finally finds someone that's interested in him and it's actually only as dinner. He doesn't deserve that. I cuddle up to him comfortingly as I quietly reach out to dry his tears out of habit, but find none.
♠ ♠ ♠
A/N - Sorry for the really long delay, this story is really taking a long time to think up.