Status: Active!!

Releasing the Demons

Torn In Two

I sit here with my best friend and fellow Zombie Killer, Eve Harrington, as we took a break from boarding up the windows of my home and making sure all the doors and windows were locked in the house so those bastards can’t get in. It’s been about a month since the Zombie Epidemic started and there looks like there isn’t any help coming. When Eve and I first heard about what was happening on the news, I took action and stocked up on food, gas, water, ammo, guns, and more weapons that both of us could use in case we needed to leave the house. So far we haven’t had to leave except for in the day time when the Zombies are less active.

We had accumulated hundreds of weapons both machine guns and hand held pistols and knifes or just any object that would be sharp enough to pierce through the skulls of them. I’ve seen my neighbors I’ve lived next to for years, be killed by the monsters and then 24 hours later turn into the undead. I had stored the rest of the guns in a secret place only Eve and I knew about and no one would ever find it in case there were looters if we had to leave and come back but I seriously doubt that someone who is human would break into a home with a Rottweiler and a German Shepard mixed with the blood of a wolf just to steal something. Maybe they would if they had a death wish. I had to train my dogs not to go after the zombies but to run and seek shelter until I called for them. They were really great dogs and they always listened.

I looked to the small crack of light that was coming through the boards on the windows and I knew the sun would be setting pretty soon. It reminded me back to the day I held my mother’s hand as she took her last breath. She was fighting Cancer but she was losing. It was like her body wasn’t strong enough to fight something like that off. I remember like it was yesterday that the doctor told us both that neither Chemotherapy nor Radiation was helping. Mom refused to die in a hospital so she was sent home to die. I closed my eyes and the memory of that day came back to me…

I sat beside my mother’s bedside as she was sleeping and trying to fight off this disease but the Cancer was winning. I don’t want to lose my mother. She’s all I have left. I watched as she opened her eyes weakly and smiled at me.

“Honey, you should really get some sleep.”

“I can do without sleep mom. Do you need anything?” I asked and she shook her head no.

“I can go fix you something to eat or get you something to drink.” I said insistently.

“I don’t feel like eating right now sweetheart…Honey, I know I’m dying and I’ve prepared myself for whenever the good Lord decides to take me.”

“Mom please don’t talk like that. I just know that you’re going to pull through and beat this Cancer.” I said smiling.

“I know you think I will but I’ve made peace and when it’s that time…I will go home to be in heaven. I just want you to take good care of yourself.”

“Mom you know I can. “ I said gently grasping her hand. She rubbed her thumb over the top of my hand and smiled.

“You’re a strong young woman Layla…I know you don’t know anything about your father because he left but I think you should know he died when you were 2 months old in a drunk driving accident. He liked to go out and party more than wanting a child but I took good care of both of us…and in my need of caring, you’ve been such a blessing. I love you baby girl and I’m very proud of you.”

“I love you too mom.” I said smiling as I wiped a stray tear that had fallen from my eyes. I watched her close hers and then heard the unmistakable sound of the death rattle. I watched her chest to see if it was going to rise again but it never did. I placed 2 fingers on her neck and there wasn’t a pulse. I lowered my head and began to cry softly over the death of my only family. I was alone…


That day I was torn in two by her death and to this day, I still haven’t been able to get over her dying. I opened my eyes seeing the sun had gone down more and Eve had the lantern on low so not much light would be showing. I looked over at the window where she was holding the pump action shotgun in her hands and looking out the crack in the boards.

“Are there any unfriendlies out front?” I asked sitting up in my leather recliner.

“They’re way down the street having a feeding frenzy on some kind of animal.”

“At least they’re distracted for a while.” I said rubbing my eyes.

“Why don’t you get some sleep while I watch for any of those dead fuckers.”

“That sounds like a good idea. I haven’t been sleeping well lately.” I said yawning.

“I know I can tell.”

“Are the vests for the dogs in here?” I asked looking around.

“They’re behind your chair along with the Browning Machine gun. I put some more bullets in there in case we needed them.”

“Thanks. If you have to shoot any of those fucks make sure you have the silencer on. You know how attracted to sound they are.” I said reaching down by the side of the chair and pulling up my Sniper Rifle with Silencer attached.

“Yeah I know. Let’s just hope we don’t have to fire any of the guns this time.”

“Yeah I know. I just about broke my collarbone with the Wesley-Richards 480 double rifle.” I said chuckling.

“I’m glad you didn’t because you wouldn’t be able to shoot those two machine guns. Anyways, get some sleep. I’ll wake you if anything happens.”

“Alright, just make sure the dogs stay quiet if they are close enough to hear sound.” I said pulling the handle on the side of the chair making the back of it go back a little ways.

“Don’t worry Lay…I know what to do.” I nodded and closed my eyes and it didn’t take long for sleep to consume my exhausted mind and body.
♠ ♠ ♠
comments are sooooo welcomed here!