Cath Trilogy: Hey Jane

Hospital Visit

The first thing that Jane noticed was the smell. It wasn't the normal hospital smell of disinfectant, but it was more of an absent of a scent. There was a discomfort in how little there was, then again, it was sort of calming. The detectives walked up to a desk where a young intern in a white t-shirt and pants, a bleached white. The boy also had short, auburn hair and dark green eyes which searched through the drawers of the desk glazed and lost in thought.

"Hi," Rhys said and in turn, gave Jane a reassuring smile. One she didn't return.

"Hello," the boy smiled with straight teeth from having braces. A name tag read: Daniel Richman. "You're the detectives, right?"

Jane and Rhys nodded except Jane's was barely noticeable.

"You know, I'm am a huge fan," Daniel's eyes went wide as though he were meeting a starlet. "I've read all about your cases," Rhys smiled a genuine smile at their fan. "It's all very Sherlock Holmes."

"Are you going to tell Dr. Perkins that we're here?" Jane snapped at him.

"Oh, right," Danny was taken aback and scurried away.

Rhys looked at Jane, but she wouldn't meet his eyes. A minute later, Daniel came back and nodded for them to go. "I'm sorry for taking your time," Daniel apologized.

Jane walked away, but Rhys stayed for a moment, "No need to be sorry, Danny." Rhys to the the 17 year old boy who smiled at his own name. "It's just not the best of days."

Danny nodded, speechless, and went back to what he was doing with a spring to his movements. Rhys jogged to catch up with Jane. "You ready?" He asked her when he was by her side outside of large, sound-proof doors and walls.

"No," Jane was honest in her reply

"Alright," Rhys pushed open the door to Dr. Derek Perkins' office. It took everything in Jane not to scream or throw a fit not to go in. Old habits die hard. Old memories of being dragged to this exact room filled her head. There was still the same furniture, a stereotypical couch and chair. Next to that, there was a desk with two chairs on the opposite side from where the doctor sat in front of a wall with corny motivational posters hanging on it.

The doctor had gray hair which fell to just bellow his ears, and his eyes glistened from contacts. Jane could remember his dark brown hair and giant glasses to make his nerdiness show. His credentials from Princeton were on the wall behind him in frames.

"Detectives," the man had soft smile which combined with his gray hair gave him a welcoming appearance. He nodded at Jane and said, "I'm glad to see you're doing well for yourself."

Jane nodded and gave a polite smile. He had been the one who taught her to do it, but she really didn't trust her words. Still she felt obliged to say, "Thank you doctor," with only a little fumbling on the words.

"Please, Derek," he got up and shook Rhys' hand. "You must be Detective Khan."

"Rhys," Rhys gave a smile back which was just as forced as Jane's. He was normally a confident person, but Jane saw him hiding. Rhys had told Jane on multiple occasions that he hated shrinks. Having red, puffy eyes didn't make him feel any more comfortable.

Derek gave him a concerned look but nothing more, and Rhys was extremely grateful. "Aubrey called," Jane couldn't help but notice the way his lip curled up in a slight smile at her name. "She didn't give me any details."

Rhys took this opportunity to give Derek the details, "We're working on the Prentice Family Case. We're aware that Catherine was a --patient-- of yours," Rhys had to search for the word.

Jane wouldn't look Derek in the eye yet Derek answered, "Yes, she was." He took a deep breath before saying, "Please, sit," before retreating back into his chair where he felt more controlled.

"Did she ever tell you anything that might benefit this case?" Rhys asked. "Anything you think is important. We know she has rights as a patient, but it would be appreciated if you would tell is. We don't have very many options, good options, besides this one."

Derek cast a glance once more at Jane before replying, "I'm sure Catherine would be willing to tell you what she told me."

"There is no information on record of Catherine's new identity available to us. We wouldn't be able to track her," Rhys sighed and said what everyone in the room knew.

"Then as you said, I can't tell you anything," Derek's eyes didn't leave Jane. "That is strictly between my patients and I."

Rhys tapped his finger against his leg with defeat. They had been hanging on believing that Dr. Perkins would give them some information. Now, there wasn't much they could base their case on without reaching dead end after dead end. They needed some serious luck.

"Do you mind if I borrow your partner for a minute," Derek smiled. "In private," Derek told Rhys.

Rhys glanced at Jane to make sure she was okay before leaving. She had nodded toward him, and Derek waited for the door to be closed before asking, "Have you told him?"

Jane knew what he was referring to, "I see no reason why I would need to tell him."

"This could turn into something much worse," Derek warned her. "Tell him, it would only benefit yourself."

"I don't want to hurt him," Jane closed her eyes and tilted her head toward the floor. When she opened them, she saw a carpet she was very familiar with. She knew every pattern and pulled out stitch. It hadn't changed along with anything else in 15 years. "Catherine is dead. She isn't coming back... not even for this case."

Derek looked lost in a though as she looked at him for an answer. "People will find out, and I don't want to see you get into any trouble.

"I'm perfectly capable of taking care of myself," Jane folded her arms over her chest.

"We all need friends, and it hurts to lose them," Derek waved for her to go. "I'm not telling your partner anymore, so the rest is up to you."

Jane had almost forgotten how assertive Derek could be when he wanted to be. His voice never rose above a conversational volume, but Jane could clearly see that he was furious.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry about the time span. Busy schedule.