Cath Trilogy: Hey Jane

The Boy (Part I)

Jane and Rhys left frustrated and concerned of what their next action would be. Jane had the desire to apologize to Daniel, but he was gone when they left Derek to his work. A sigh escaped her lips, and she turned to exit the building that haunted her.

"Did you go here ?" Rhys asked with curiosity written on his face.

Jane stopped in her track looked at the ground. With one word, she unraveled a thread in the pattern of the mysteries Rhys had about her life, "Yes."

Rhys looked over her frozen body and said, "I never would have guessed."

"Yep," Jane wanted nothing more than to be alone. Her face was bright red humiliation, and she wished she had been less stubborn when Rhys had asked her if she really wanted to go. The answer was so much more clear than it had been at his mother's house.

"Jane," he called after her when she ran away. He wasn't as quick as her, but he was louder. "If you don't stop, I will shout embarrassing facts about you."

Jane stopped and turned to face him. "What do you want?" She rolled her eyes to keep tears from escaping.

"You know you don't need to be embarrassed about this right?" He comforted her by placing his large hands on her small shoulders with reassurance and gave a mirthful smile. "I won't judge you for any of this," he made a motion to indicate the building they were standing in and what the building stood for.

Jane was taken aback by the statement. "Wow, um... I don't know how not to be embarrassed. This place was where I did things that no one would hear and till want to know me."

"Come on, try me," Rhys dared her.

"I was selectively mute for everyone until three weeks before I was released, and I only talked to anyone beside three people after two weeks, and I was here for a long time."

"That's the worst you could thing of?"

"Dr. Perkins has scars on his arms from me biting him."

"Are you going to bite me?" Rhys asked with a raise of his eyebrow.

Jane was confused by the question, "No."

"Then I don't think I have much to worry about," Rhys gave another dazzling smile, and Jane was amazed by how unfazed Rhys was."

"Are you sure you're okay about this?" Jane looked at her shoes to hide her face which could give away so much.

"Of course," Rhys took his hands of her should and decided to slip one around her waist to lead her out of the building.

Outside, there was a small courtyard with tabled and chairs along with a few trees. It was empty except for two boys. It was Daniel and another boy who Rhys and Jane had not seen but somehow looked familiar. He was sitting on the side of the table which faced the building, and Daniel had his back to them. They were rather cute in how different they were. Daniel had a somewhat tanned skin while the other boy had pale skin from lack of sunlight. Where Daniel had auburn hair brushed up, the other boy had dark hair --almost black-- which flopped over one eye. The color of his hair matched the condition of his eye. It was a terrible condition, and his bottom lip was split at one edge. He smiled at Daniel with a look that only could be conjured with what people associate with love. Their hands were clasped through intertwined fingers.

Jane admired the couple, but she also worried about this other boy's safety. She gave Rhys a look for she knew that she would be the worst to go into this type of situation. Her sociopath tendencies were watered down, but they could show at terrible times. But, he was ushering her to go for a reason that Jane couldn't comprehend. Eventually, she sighed and tucked her suit at an angle so that she could show her badge. As she walked over, she thought over every scenario that could have occurred when she talked to the boy. Luckily, she never would have even thought of the insane chain of events that would spring from this conversation.

She nodded to Daniel in an apologizing . She turned to his lover and asked, "Do you mind telling me how you came across your injuries?"

The boy just stared at her at a loss of what to say. His mouth moved, but he couldn't form words. He was skinny, very skinny. He wore tight fit, black jeans, and a black jacket with a hood pulled over his head. His shoes were worn down to almost nothing but a bit of plastic and cloth. His appearance was something that some people could be scared of. Someone could pass him on the street and judge him because of what he wore without ever getting to know his personality. He went against the norm, so he would pay the consequences even for how undeserved they were. "Fell out of bed," he managed to say.

"What's your name?" Jane didn't realize how out of order her conversation had become.

"Ryan. Ryan Fisher," he replied, and his grip on Daniel's hand increased in strength.

"Well Ryan, if the 'bed' hurts you again, give me a call," Jane handed him a small white with her name and cellphone number.

Ryan swallowed, hard and nodded.

Jane walked back to Rhys, "See, I knew you could do it."
♠ ♠ ♠
I got halfway through typing this when I went to change the song that was playing. Instead of clicking left I clicked right, and you can guess what happened. Let me just say, I went through a lot to bring this chapter to you.