Cath Trilogy: Hey Jane

I Love Luci

Who the Hell are you?

Claire Fisher's voice reverberated through Jane's head. Rhys swore that he knew her, but she couldn't recognize his face. She was the woman who was raped and murdered all those years ago, but the name William Prentice meant nothing to her. They would say it was amnesia if it wasn't for the fact that she was completely aware of the rest of her life. Medical records even said that she had been in a coma for 7 years. From the time she was supposed to be pregnant to the time she died.

"Well, we got Adam," Rhys shrugged as they walked to his house.

"Yep," Jane said then sighed. "Hopefully after this case, things will get normal."

"Better get to the bottom of this. But," Rhys yawned with his whole mouth open not even trying to cover it up, "We have tomorrow."

Jane checked her watch 2:30. Rhys unlocked the door, and as he did so, she did her best to cover up a yawn of her own. "I am really quite confused by all of this."

"You have no idea," Rhys rolled his eyes lazily and opened the door. He didn't even make it to his room, just flopped onto the couch.

"Goodnight Rhys," Jane told him before trudging up the stairs toward the guest room.

"Nighty night," Rhys called after her. A second later, he was asleep.

Jane opened the door to the guestroom and turned on the lights. Just after she took off the jacket of her suit, a man approached her. His mouth was open as though to speak, but Jane was quicker. She screamed with shock and created a fist which collided with the man's jaw. His expression was of pure shock as his world came into contact with the floor. He gasped for air and tried to talk. Jane replied by sending a wave of assaults at him that sent him back to the ground, unconscious.

Rhys ran to the door and just about knocked it down, "Jane, are you okay?" He looked at the man lying on the ground, "Woah, who's that guy?" His exhaustion seemed to have left him with the adrenaline that ran through his system.

"I don't know, he was here when I came in," Jane took a few deep breaths to get oxygen back into her cells.

Mrs. Khan walked into the doorway and saw the man on the floor. She didn't blink an eye, just said, "Right, I was supposed to tell you guys that this man is here for you." She was dressed in a flannel night gown with her hair tied into two braids.

"Mom!" Rhys said sharply.

"What I told you now didn't I?" Mary smiled at her gaping son.

Jane thought she had a valid point, so she didn't pry. Instead, she asked, "What's his name?"

"Oh," Mary rattled her brain. "I can't seem to remember. He had a really original name too. I remember thinking that the name sounds really different."

The man on the ground woke with a bit of grogginess and said, "Lucifer, my name is Lucifer."

"That's it," Mary smiled.

Jane took this time to analyze him. British accent, London. Expensive, well tailored suit. Lean muscular build that made him look weaker than he was. The only way she had been able to take him down was with a sucker punch. He also had a few other trait that she picked out a shaking in his hands indicating some sort of addiction that she couldn't quite pick out. It could have been something as simple as caffeine given the stains on his teeth, or it could have been worse. His apearance was attractive with nice blue eyes that reminded Jane of her father's as well as brown hair that also reminded her of her father's. There was a lot about him that reminded Jane of her adopted father, Michael. This Lucifer fellow also reminded her of something that she couldn't remember.

"What did you want to tell us?" Jane asked and slipped her suit back onto a comfortable position on her shoulders.

"Aubrey wanted me to come and help you with the case that you're currently on," Lucifer explained.

"What do you have to offer?" Rhys asked with his eyes still not able to decipher so much about him.

"I'm the father of William Prentice," Lucifer told them.

Jane's lip curled with contempt, but she managed to push it down, "Why did you come here?"

"Well, to be honest, I would rather have met with you under different circumstances. It seems that you found the man you were after, and Aubrey wanted me to help you capture him. She gave me the number to this house, and your lovely mother told me to come over. So, here I am," He smiled brightly, and Jane wanted to hit him again.

"Well, we can work it out in the morning; I'm gonna pass out if I stand any longer," Rhys said. "Mom, can he take the green room's couch?" The green room was a small library, but not a library with a small TV and it now had Rhys's old play pen. He told Jane that the only reason it was there was because he had lost a bet to his mother when he was 13. The consequence was that every time a girl came to the house, his mother would set it up as to make changing to the subject of small child Rhys much smoother. It also had a couch, which is why it could be used to accommodate guests.

"Okay," Mary sighed. "And to think two days ago I was on my own."

She led Lucifer to his room, and Jane climbed into bed. She stayed until she had heard her fair share of Mary laughing at cheap flattery. She grabbed her pajamas and changed before jamming her ear buds in and listening to this band that Gabriel adored. The beats took her away into sleep.

Jane awoke to the sound of laughter and the smell of hashbrowns and eggs. Her stomach protested, and she felt like just laying in silence until everyone went away. She put her legs up to her chest and cried. Why doesn't anyone remember me? She thought as tears streamed down her face. Why don't they care? She finished a few minutes before Rhys came into her room and said, "Come on sleepy-head, you're wasting day light."

"Coming," she smiled at him, but apparently, he was an empathetic son of a bitch.

"Hey, what's wrong?" He asked and put a hand over her shoulder.

"Nothing," she said and pushed herself out of bed.

"You sure?" Rhys asked, "If you want to talk about it, I'm right here."

"It's just stuff," she said and got out of bed.

As she ushered him out to change into suitable (pun intended) clothing, Rhys turned to her and said, "Be sure to tell me when you can." She let the words eat at her for a moment before grabbing her clothes and running to take a quick shower.

She was down in the dining room 15 minutes later with 4 hour old reheated food waiting for her on the table. She slowly ate as she stared down Lucifer in her mind.

"So, why does Aubrey think you can help us track down Adam?" Rhys inquired.

"It's his profession. He tracks down criminals and subdues them for Scotland Yard," Jane answered before Lucifer had the chance.

Just then, she noticed Lucifer staring at her. She blew it off as him being impressed by her knowledge of him.

"How'd you know that?" Rhys asked, astonished.

Jane paused for a moment before saying, "I know a lot of things. I also know he is behind the 829 South New Hampshire Avenue incident. That was him catching the killer and putting the man in WP."

Rhys just stared at her, "When did you figure that out!?"

"This morning in the shower," Jane said and turned to Lucifer.

"Really quite impressive," Lucifer said looking bemused but still shocked. His leg was shaking now, Jane could see.

More than just caffeine, she noted as Lucifer took a sip of coffee. "Are you an alcoholic?" She blurted out.

Lucifer swallowed and said, "Of course not."

"Oh, okay," Jane sulked at the defeat of her assumption.

"You look really familiar," Lucifer noted. "Jane Wilson, I've never heard the name before, but... never mind." He went silent and just continued to look at her.

"Rhys," Jane smiled at her partner. "Could you get me some coffee?"

"But, you don't drink coffee. You say it makes your head go all fuzzy and you can't think," Rhys raised an eyebrow of confusion.

Jane pouted as she had learned from her closest friend in high school, "Please."

Rhys got up and almost tripped over his feat to fill her request, and when he was gone to put some coffee in the microwave, she said to Lucifer, "Why?"

"Why what?" Lucifer asked.

"Why didn't you adopt me? I was scared and alone, and my parents were dead. I understand that you had lost a son, but I needed comfort too," Jane's face contorted with anger.

"Catherine?" Lucifer asked in shock.

"It's Jane now. Ever since I got put into WP so that I could be put into foster care or adopted, I've been Jane. You could have changed that if you had bothered to..." Jane stopped when she saw the expression on Lucifer's face. The microwave beeped in the background and Lucifer wrapped his arms around her. "What the hell?"

"I thought you were dead. William will be so happy," Lucifer smiled with tears in his eyes. "If I had known you were alive, I would have done anything to take you into my care. But, you grew up to be so smart. Your father will be proud."

"I heard you talk about my father in the present tense before, and I could understand that. But, you're using the future tense... are you okay?"

"He's alive. You're father is alive."
♠ ♠ ♠
Bum bum bum! Gasp!

In case you were confused, WP= Witness Protection

I know it's been about a month, but I just took my first finals and now it's summer, so I will try to have chapters ready so that they can be put up on a more regular interval. Thanks for your patience