Status: Rated R for violence, gore, use of alcohol, suggestive themes and nudity

Into the West

Ever, Ever On

It was noonday now, and as the fellowship paddled up the river,everyone’s nerve were at unrest. A bad omen loomed over the forests, a foe, an unseen enemy laid ahead, and they could all feel it. Frodo sat closer to Eadlyn she covered him in her arms, her eyes watching the surrounding forest. She could feel Frodo was tense and very worried about the choices he would be making in the near future. Eadlyn rested a hand on top on his head and played with his chocolate curls. She closed her eyes and began to hum softly , Frodo’s ear picked up the tune, “the road goes ever ever on, Over rock and under tree, By caves where never sun has shone, By streams that never find the sea;” He said with Eadlyn’s tune, Bilbo’s old traveling song. A smile came to Frodo face, “Over snow by winter sown, And through the merry flowers of June, Over grass and over stone, And under mountains in the moon.” Eadlyn finished, Frodo looked up at her and smiled “Always keep a bit of home in there somewhere Frodo…it might be the very things that keeps you going” Eadlyn said He nodded slightly, the She rangers advice had sunk into the memory of all of her party.

The sun was to be setting soon; the Fellowship halted their boats on a small break of land that rested in the widest part of the river. Eadlyn gathered up her axe and bow before heading back to the Boat. “Where are you going?” Aragorn asked as Eadlyn stepped on foot into the boat “ashore…We need fire wood…and food to save what's left.” She said simply. Aragorn nodded “no ones to go out alone, it’s not safe” He warned “she won’t be alone” Legolas called as he reached down grabbing his bow. Eadlyn got inside the boat letting the elf push it into the water, before the two of them paddled to the opposite shore. Aragorn watched the two disappear into the woods, he still wasn’t happy about two of them going out so far from the group but he knew both were perfectly capable of holding their own.

Eadlyn stalked through the forests quietly, as she picked up fallen branches from the left littered ground. “I am sorry…for the behavior of my kind back in-“ Eadlyn held her hand in the air hushing the Elf Prince “you cannot always go behind them and try to clear their wrong doings…” Eadlyn said picking up another plank of wood. “you’ve no more control over your race, than you do the mountains or the river back there…These are dark times…I understand, and it’s nothing new to me” She said standing back up straight “I understand that I’ve yet to prove myself to the peoples of Middle earth…” She added tucking the wood into her bag “but a day will come” She sighed walking on. Legolas watched her and quietly followed. It seemed as though all of the animals had fled the forest, save a few birds whom had lingered. “Fowl it is” Eadlyn said looking to Legolas, He smirked at her playfully “what? You have a bow” he said putting on an innocent face Eadlyn scowled, but all in good fun “You know very much so that I cannot hit small targets!” She said laughing a bit. “oh…are you admitting I’m better than you at something” Legolas said in fake astonishment “No..well yes just this one and only thing…” She said almost indignantly Legolas chuckled and readied his bow, waving her over to him. Eadlyn ducked under his arms and grabbed onto the bow as well. “then let me teach you” He said Placing his arms on top of hers, using his hands to direct the actions of her own. “aim” He said, Eadlyn focused on the bird “steady” He muttered it got quiet as Eadlyn waited instruction “release” He called both of them let go and sent the arrow flying. The bird fell from the tree graceful in its death. “there” Legolas said placing his bow back onto his back. Eadlyn went to reterive the bird. “yes great…now we only need about six more of these…” She added in. “now is that practices or birds?” Legolas called mockingly Eadlyn leered at him good-naturedly “I had forgotten what I child you really were” she said laughing. Legolas smiled down at her fondly. “come on lets get moving” She called.

Eadlyn and Legolas returned to the Island in the river, Eadlyn dropped her bag infront of Aragorn & Boromir. A frown on her face “birds is all I could find….all the animals have gone…” she said very troubled by this fact. “they’re better than nothing” Boromir commented taking the birds and plucking the feathers from them, noticing It would take far too long to do it on his own he walked over to Merry and Pippin for aid. Aragorn began to set up the fire wood, but was having trouble getting it to take fire, “hand me those two rocks” Eadlyn called knealing down across from him. Aragorn picked up two fair sized rocks and handed them to the She ranger. She rubbed her hands together before taking the rocks from him. Her body heat flowed intot he stone as she struck one rock against the other over the wood and dry leaves. Aragorn watch her work with fixed eyes. Soon sparks began to jump from the rock and a fire roared onto the fire wood. Aragorn and Eadlyn leaned back as the fire erupted loudly, causing everyone to look their way “now that’s a nice fire” Sam said with wide eyes. Eadlyn smiled back at him with a nod. “how?” Aragorn asked picking up the two rocks which were now cold again. “Give me your hands” Eadlyn said Aragorn held out his hands allowing her to incase them within her own small hands. A surge of warm shot through his finger tips and up his arms warming his whole body. Aragorn looked at her slightly amazed, Eadlyn’s eyes shied away from his gaze, as she removed her hands from his. She looked down on her softly and smiled shaking his head “Forgive me” He said with slight amusement “It seems I was wrong…there is more in you than what eye can tell” He said Eadlyn looked at him slowly, the corner of her mouth upturning into a very small smile.

Eadlyn had watched the hobbits encircle the fire as night fell. Sam had managed to find a way to cook the birds that were caught and fix something to go with them. Eadlyn had made soup from the bones of the birds and the gizzards. “you know this taste better than how it smells” Pippin said with a pleased smile on his face Eadlyn laughed as she handed a bow to Merry whom looked sick as the steam from the soup went through his nose. She looked up to see the two men arguing in the distance. Frowning she headed over to them, "You were quick enough to trust the Elves. Have you so little faith in your own people?" Boromir asked Eadlyn looked between the ranger and the Gondorian. "Yes, there is weakness. There is frailty….But there is courage also, and honor to be found in Men…. you will not see that." Boromir added, Aragorn leered at him slightly and turned his back, Boromir quickly caught his arm "You are afraid! All your life, you have hidden in the shadows!" He added pointing to Eadlyn “Scared of who you are, of what you are….while she…she there, longs to see a home she’d be banished from, a home you left of your own free will, a city and people who need the hope that their king could offer, you can look upon that creature there…and turn you back on your shared people…on your city…” He added Eadlyn sunk back a bit as Aragorn looked at her, a slight guilt shown over his face as he looked upon his fellow Dunedain descendent. He quickly turned away from the both of them, looking at the ground he closed his eyes, and place his hand over the Evenstar. "I will not lead the Ring within a hundred leagues of your city!" Aragorn said bitterly into the face of Boromir. Eadlyn glared at him “You mean your city” Eadlyn hissed darkly She stepped in front of Boromir, who step aside “You hide in under the light of the elves…while your own people suffer to the long looming could of darkness…western, northern, southern..what have you…all realms of men all hailed from one bloodline…one that you lead up…one that only you can reign over…and yet you leave them in their pain and sorrow…kingless, like shepardless sheep….while you stand in your Inglorious light….the elves are only half of you Ranger…not all of you” Eadlyn hissed pushing past him. Aragorn watch her trying to take in all she had just said. Eadlyn jump up onto a large rock sitting with her legs crossed she gazed into the forest, folding her arms which were shaking from anger and bitterness. She closed her eyes and sighed.

Everything fell quite after the She ranger’s outburst; soon the fellowship had felt o rest. Eadlyn stayed awake, to watch over the party through the night. She began to nod off slightly. Shaking her head to stay awake she eyed the water. Maybe the cold water would awake her. She walked to the shore with her bag, and looked back at her party, making sure they were all well into their dreams. She stripped from her clothing and waded into the water, to her collar bone. Shivering in the cold depths she became wide awake. A single log floated down the river, Eadlyn watched it , it was uncommon to see a single log headed down stream when there had been not wind or storm, more so a log so large. She backed up a bit as she spotted small filthy fingers latched onto the log. A gasp escaped her lips as she ran to shore, her hair fell against her body hiding all that was worth looking at. Aragorn ran to her, standing in front of her he looked from her eyes to the Log. Two large yellow eyes glistened from above the log. "Gollum. He has tracked us since Moria." Aragorn said simply looking at the creature dully. Boromir and Legolas came to the two ranger’s side. Eadlyn stood slightly uncomfortable; her lack of clothing seemed to go unnoticed for the moment however. "I had hoped we would lose him on the river. But he's too clever a waterman." Aragorn said as the four of them focused on the log. Gollum sunk back behind the wood with a croak. “are you alright?” Legolas asked pulling Eadlyn closer to himself. She nodded “a bit disturbed” she muttered, he chuckled half hearted. "And if he alerts the enemy to our whereabouts it will make the crossing even more dangerous." Boromir added. “It’s already as dangerous as it’s going to get out here Boromir” Eadlyn sighed turning and walking away from the men back to her bag. Boromir looked at her and then did a double take turning to Aragorn “was she?” He mouthed Aragorn laughed and nodded.

Everyone had settled back to sleep and Eadlyn went back to her perch. She turned to look behind her as she could hear Aragorn foot falls. “you need sleep…I can take watch through the rest of the night” He said. Eadlyn looked down at him “I’m fine” She said simply turning to look back at the forest. Aragorn sighed and grabbed her hand, making her slide down from the rock, he used her body weight and pushed her down gently to her make shift bed, with his hands on her shoulders. “I didn’t ask” He said looking down at her. She glared at him as he went to sit on her rock, he smirked down at her. Eadlyn rolled her eyes and laid down. “you needn’t count solely on yourself…you have friends among us…” He added. Eadlyn frowned “I’ve learned that that’s only temporary through my life…in the end…your all you have” She said before closing her eyes, Aragorn's eyes wandered to her hand, which was tightly latched onto a dagger. She trusted no one.

Morning came quickly and the fellowship pilled back into their boats. “I’ll be glad when we get where we’re going…I can’t take much more of sitting in these things” Sam said looking disdainfully at the boat. Eadlyn giggled from her seat as Aragorn pushed their boat into the water. The forest faded, and great gorge walls where now on either side of the river. Eadlyn cast her eyes up to see two towering statues of men, their arms out stretched in a halting manner. Their faces where stern, and top their heads where stone Gondorian helmets. Each one held a book in his arms. Eadlyn gazed at them in amazement” Aragorn tapped Frodo’s shoulder a smile on his face. "Frodo, the Argonath! Long have I desired to look upon the kings of old. My kin." Aragorn said in wonder. "Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta! Out of the Great Sea to Middle-Earth I am come. In this place I will abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world” Eadlyn spoke, she had heard much history about the Argonath and the great kings of old from Gandalf when she was younger. Aragorn looked back at her as her eyes were fixed on the two kings. Again the searing guilt rushed through his body. She logged for home like a fairer lost out at sea.

The current of the waters seemed to change direction after passing the Argonath, ahead of them growled a massive waterfall. The company pulled the boats ashore, and made camp. It wasn’t the idea resting spot, the beach was made of harsh gravel and the area was far to open for their liking, anything could easily spot them there. "We cross the lake at nightfall. Hide the boats and continue on foot. We approach Mordor from the north."Aragorn instructed, Everyone glanced up at him. “you make it sound so easy” Eadlyn said dryly "Oh, yes?! It's just a simple matter of finding our way through Emyn Muil? An impassable labyrinth of razor sharp rocks! And after that, it gets even better!"Gimli said in a huff and flurry. Pippin looked up slightly alarmed “better?” He asked as if the dwarf had lost his mind. "Festering, stinking marshlands, far as the eye can see!"Gimli added. Aragorn looked at him vaguely annoyed "That is our road. I suggest you take some rest and recover your strength, Master Dwarf." Aragorn said before walking over to Legolas who gazed into the forest. Eadlyn looked over to Frodo, their eyes locked. They both knew this was the last day they’d see one another in what would feel like or might just be eternity. Eadlyn rose to her feet and walked to the shore she closed her eyes and looked to the sky.

"We should leave now." Legolas said walking over to Aragorn, "No. Orcs patrol the eastern shore. We must wait for cover of darkness." Aragorn instructed, the Elf cast his eyes on the forest ahead of them “It is not the eastern shore that worries me. A shadow and a threat has been growing in my mind. Something draws near… I can feel it." He added. Aragorn looked at him searching his eyes as if asking “what do you see” Legolas went to speak “where’s Frodo?” Merry asked looking around. Eadlyn’s gaze broke away from the sky which she had been gazing at for an hour or so now. She looked around and her eyes met up with Aragorn's. He nodded at her and she tore off into the forest.