Status: Rated R for violence, gore, use of alcohol, suggestive themes and nudity

Into the West

News From The Mark

“Gandalf!” Eadlyn called out as she awoke, she looked around franticly she had had dreams of Gandalf fighting the Balrog, and passing into shadow. She looked down to see she was being carried by one of the strange orcs. She quietly and skillfully reached for her dagger. She jammed it into the orcs neck. He dropped her to the ground and fumbled at his neck trying to pull it free. But the ridges in the blade made if difficult. She landed on her feet and looked around as the orcs began to crowd around the injured one. She was in a very rocky grassland, “I know this place” she thought looking around; she focused on the orcs, far ahead of the line two carried Merry and Pippin. “I am sorry…I cannot save you alone” She muttered as the orcs turned to face her now holding their weapons high “No! Saruman wants her alive!” One called Eadlyn backed up and whistled loudly. The Orcs looked around; the thundering beat of large hooves hitting the ground filled the air. Iluad the great draft mare ran to her master’s side without having her halt Eadlyn grabbed her mane and flung herself onto the mare’s back. “go Iluad, we ride for Edoras…we’ve not much time!” She called her eyes focused ahead of her. Edoras…she hadn’t thought she would ever return. And above all she feared how they would have her.

Eadlyn and Iluad rode without rest, straight through the night; soon Edoras was in view, Iluad slowed to a trot as they entered the city. Eadlyn pulled her cloak over her head, hiding her face was she passed through the bleak roadways. The villagers watched her in wonder and fear. Some of the elder town folk began to mumble to themselves “Rider” Some said “I cannot be…” “She was exiled” “rider..it’s the rider…” Eadlyn lowered her head and continued to ride through the city. Meanwhile Eowyn exited the castle sighing heavily, He brother had been banished month past, and her cousin Theodred was only fading faster with each day. Grima had Persuaded her uncle, King Théoden to keep the healers at bay and only let Grima tend to Theodred’s wounds. She looked out in sorrow at what was once a great city, full of life and bustling. Now it was still and stagnant, lifeless in its nature. The poison of Saruman had a great hold of Rohan. The shield maiden looked out over the city and her eyes fell on a familiar steed. “Iluad” Eowyn muttered, before a light smile came to her face “Eadlyn!” she gasped grabbing her shirt in her hands she ran down the steps of the castle.

Eadlyn dismounted Iluad and tied her to a post “you know the deal…anyone tries to steal you what d you do” She asked the horse, Iluad snapped her teeth together “very good..you bite” Eadlyn praised patting the mare’s neck. As she scaled the stairs a Woman with long blonde hair and blue eyes greeted her with a hug. Eadlyn froze “Rider!” The woman called out. Eadlyn slowly warped her arms around her “Eowyn” she breathed relieved. Eowyn pulled back and smiled down at her “the heaven must have heard my prayers!” She called grabbing the Rangers hand she lead her up the stairs. “Come” she said her tone was more grave this time “what has happened?” Eadlyn asked horridly “T-Theodred” Eowyn managed. “what..what is it, show me…fly!” Eadlyn urged Eowyn picked up her skirt and took off running through the halls of the castle, Eadlyn followed behind her.

Eowyn opened a door, the whole castle was dark and dim, Eadlyn looked around outside in the hall before walking into the room. She had never remembered the castle being so dark. As she walked inside the small room, Eowyn closed the door behind them, locking it Eadlyn looked back at her curiously “Grima spies on me constantly…” she said slowly Eadlyn nodded and turned around to face the bed. A pale figure laid there in, under many blankets. He was very pale and his breathing was shallow. Eadlyn slowly walked over to his side. She sat down on the bed gently as not to move it, and rested a hand on his forehead & hair line. “Theodred?” Eadlyn questioned looking over him. He was bruised, badly beaten, and looked very ill, his eyes fluttered a bit but would not open fully.

“he is very weak” Eowyn called standing at the other side of the bed. “what happened?” Eadlyn asking looking up at her. “Ambushed…he and his men…by Uruk Hai…a breed of Orc created by Saruman…they were ill prepared…and stood no chance, Eomer found him, he was the only survivor…” Eowyn said, Eadlyn looked over Theodred; her heart broke for him, to see a man who was once a idol in her eyes, knocked down to nothing. Memories of them playing in her past flooded her mind, laughing as they raced on horseback, piggy back rides, dancing. “I am so sorry” She whispered shaking her head. Her eyes slowly wandered back to Eowyn. “Eomer? Where is he?” She asked she wasn’t sure if she even wanted to know. Eowyn frowned and tears came to her eyes. “My uncle Banished him under the lead of Grima…he has I under his thumb…Grima is ruining the city, and killing my uncle” Eowyn cried breaking down. Eadlyn jumped to her feet and held her up in her arms.

“shh, at peace with you…It shall all be fine…We will fix this” Eadlyn said rocking the distraught girl. Eowyn looked up at the ranger and smiled sniffling a bit “I’m glad you’re back” she said softly, she looked at Theodred “I know if he was well…he would be too…he waited, he waited for the day you’d return…” She said standing back up on her own. Eadlyn walked back and sat on the bed.

“He was furious…and so was Uncle…when they found out that the Villagers had run you away, He and Eomer went out to look for you.” Eowyn continued. Eadlyn shook her head “I was long gone…Iluad goes with the speed of Crebain from dunland..I was far into the lands of Bree…” Eadlyn whispered, brushing her hand through Theodred’s hair, he turned his head to face her, and his eyes flutter open a bit more. She reached down and lifted the blankets. Flinching she looked away as a large untreated gash lay in the center of his torso. “has no one tended to him at all?” she asked furious, Eowyn shook her head “Grima is the only one with permission to, and he does nothing” the shield maiden said quickly. Eadlyn covered Theodred back up in the blankets, tucking him in. “go get me gaws…a few wash cloths, and whatever herbs you have here” she ordered never taking her eyes off of him “and a pale of hot water if you can..” she added. Eowyn smiled and nodded before running off.

Eadlyn waited patiently at Theodred's side for Eowyn to return. Hearing footsteps that did not belong to the maiden she got up and placed a heavy shelf in front of the door, as Grima tried the door from the outside it would to open. He muttered something under his breath about Eowyn and walked off. Eadlyn sighed and brushed a hand through her hair. “and I thought I was going to receive help here…when they cannot help themselves at the moment” she thought looking back at the fallen prince. Eowyn knocked on the door after finding it would not open “tis me” she whispered. Eadlyn pushed the shelf away from the door and took the items she had requested away from Eowyn who locked the door back. Eadlyn removed the blankets from Theodred and sat at his side again, she dipped the wash cloth in the hot water, and laid it on the gash gently.

He flinched “I know…it’s going to hurt a bit…but it’ll be better soon” she said softly whipping the gash clean; she dipped the cloth back in the water and repeated. “ hand me the Kingsfoil and Alfirin petals” Eadlyn asked holding out her hand. Eowyn handed her a bag of herbs. Eadlyn emptied the herbs into a small bowl and began to crush them up with her throwing knife. She then cut her palm with the blade, with a slight wince she squeezed a bit of the blood into the crushed herbs. The liquid turned it into a ruby floral aroma paste, she took a clean wash cloth and covered it in the paste, before spreading it out over the wound. Theodred gripped the sheets of the bed as the salve burned as it cleaned the gash. Eadlyn took and needle and thread out of her bag, and began to stitch up the gash. Hours seemed to pass but finally the wound was closed up and patched with gaws. “this will need to be checked on and cleaned every days or so… the salve will expel any bacteria that lies within the wound” Eadlyn instructed. Eowyn nodded “you can stay here with Theodred, I will leave you the lock and key…it’s best if Grima does not know of you being here….” Eowyn whispered walking over to the door “Good night Eadlyn…” She said before exiting the room.

Eadlyn’s eyes lingered on the door after she locked it behind Eowyn. The she ranger sighed heavily and her heart went out to Merry, Pippin, Frodo, and the others. She frowned a bit, while she was determined to find Merry and Pippin again, she wondered if she would ever see Legolas and the others again, let alone Frodo and Sam. Her heart began to feel heavy wit mourning. Theodred groaned a bit and brought her back to what the reality was currently. She turned and sat back down on the bed. Lifting his head and boy gently so that her lap could be his pillow, she tucked the pillows under his body to level him out, before pulling the covers over him. “it’s ok, I’m right here…I’m not going anywhere, not this time” She whispered running her hands through his hair. Leaning over she kissed his forehead “rest” she called with a sigh. “there’s no telling what tomorrow will bring….” She thought to herself looking at the door as footsteps walked by.

Morning came and there was a light knocking at the door “Eadlyn are you awake?” Eowyn’s voice called quietly. Eadlyn slid the keys to the door across the ground and under it. Not long after Eowyn had unlocked the door and entered. She locked it behind her and turned to face Eadlyn a smile came to her face “did you sleep like that?” Eowyn said highly amused, as The ranger still had Theodred resting in her lap. “He fell asleep…. And so peacefully…I couldn’t move him” Eadlyn said trying to work the crook out of her neck Eowyn shook her head and handed Eadlyn a small plate of food “Grima’s stalking all activity here lately…” she muttered annoyed, Eadlyn set the plate down on a small night stand before looking up at Eowyn. “who is this Grima?” Eadlyn asked, Eowyn pulled up a chair and sat down “he’s a very greasy dank little man…looks like a worm…he’s a native to Rohan…but he sided with Saruman….Uncle does not see it though as he’s leech craft has clouded my uncles mind” Eowyn said wearily. “what me to kill him?” Eadlyn said bluntly her voice was dry and her eyes dull. Eowyn chuckled loudly “If only you could…we don’t know what trickery lies behind him” She added Eadlyn simply nodded and picked up her plate

“when’s the last time he ate something?” she asked looking own a the sleeping Theodred. “It hasn’t been able to get anything down since we found him…” Eowyn sighed. Eadlyn took the small silver spoon and scooped what looked like oatmeal into it, she shook Theodred very lightly “come on wake up…just for a moment, I need you to eat something for me” she said softly although her words weren’t too friendly in their nature, she meant well, her bedside manner had never been to great. Theodred opened his eyes and bit and through heavy eyelids tried to focus on Eadlyn’s face in the dark room. Eadlyn lowered the spoon to his lips and slowly poured the meal into his mouth. It took some time but eventually he swallowed it down, and the cycle repeated. “He wouldn’t even try to eat for me” Eowyn giggled, Eadlyn looked up at her and smirked “would you say no to me?” she asked her eyes glinting with an vile undertone, Eowyn’s smile faded a bit as a faint fear surged through her body “n-no” She managed to get out, Eadlyn’s smirk fell and she looked to the side Eowyn did the same. The shield maiden had almost forgotten the true nature of Eadlyn, what she was, and even though she didn’t want to be, sometimes she was afraid of her. Only Theodred had been able to look at her in a different light.

Eadlyn set the bowl to the side satisfied with the amount Theodred had eaten, she helped him drink some water before letting him rest again. “Eowyn…” She said slowly, Eowyn turned to her quickly “You know I cannot stay here in this room…my friends need help, I have to go to them…something has to be done about Grima..” She said Eowyn nodded slowly “I know…I suppose I could help you leave in the night” Eowyn muttered almost sadly, Theodred’s eyes opened and he looked up at Eadlyn “ I cannot leave the two of you here while it is as it is….” The she ranger said with a long sigh. “I need to see to it that Theodred heals…that, that worm doesn’t terrorize you, and that the King doesn’t tear apart his own city” She added. “we need a plan” She uttered. Eowyn nodded “b-besides…I’ve a guard, if that’s what you wish to call him, who’s probably just about to go mad…right about now, If he’s even still alive” Eadlyn muttered. Eowyn’s eyes sparkled a bit and a sly smile played on her lips “oh a guard is he? What tell me about this so called guard” she said playfully. Eadlyn frowned a bit and rolled her eyes “well…”

Aragorn had awoke early only to find Legolas had been standing far ahead of them gazing at the distance as if in a trace. Aragorn looked back at the snoring Gimli before heading over to the elf’s side. “did you not sleep? If we are to find them we have to be at our best..” Aragorn said slowly Legolas glanced at him briefly “I cannot rest…” he said, Aragorn sighed and turned back to Gimli “Gimli up, the suns risen we’ve lost some time” He called sternly. Gimli awoke with a start, giving out a snortish snore. “we need you focused” Aragorn said in a hushed tone to Legolas while waiting for Gimli to rise Legolas leered at the ranger slightly “If she was Arwen, ad placed in the same situation…we’d have been on their heels as of now” He said pointedly he looked at the ranger as if talking to an ignorant child. Aragorn did not know just how to take that statement, “is she your equal to Arwen?” Aragorn asked Legolas stayed silent “Gimli, hurry up!” Aragorn said walking past Legolas a slight smirk on his face “let move on” he added in. Legolas watched the ranger for a moment before following not waiting on the dwarf.
♠ ♠ ♠
once again more of Eadlyn's past is coming to light. and there is a lot more to go i'm sorry i am trying to bring this all to a head with good timing.