Status: Rated R for violence, gore, use of alcohol, suggestive themes and nudity

Into the West

Crys of Falling Rain

Eadlyn sat on her knee’s leaning over on her arms as her hands supported her, her long black mane fell freely and was weighted down heavily in blood. Her breather was greatly labored and her arms shook beneath her. Red streams trickled from the edges of her mouth, wider streams from her crown. Behind under her hair her back was raw, sliced to bits with whip markings, seeping out every so slowly her blood into a crimson puddle on the hard rocky floors. They left her there bare, for all the other prisoners to look upon. Yet she held her ground, she was not a spy. The door to the prison opened and light flooded into the nearly pitch black room. Eadlyn didn’t bother to shield her eyes or move at all, focusing on her hands, which had been skinned down to the muscle. These people who were so afraid of Sauron, could act at times like nothing less that his shadow.

Eowyn gasped and ran over to the mess of hair and flesh that laid on the ground before her. She took off her cloak and wrapped it around Eadlyn’s battered body gently drawing her into her arms. Once again tears fell from the shield maidens eyes “I’m sorry…I’m sorry….I tried…tired, but they would not let me through” She managed through the tears. Eadlyn nearly delirious from blood lose and pain shook her head unable to speak both Females looked up quickly as the door were swung open. “Grima!” Eowyn barked holding Eadlyn closer, Grima stormed past the blonde protector knocking her away from Eadlyn onto the ground. He grabbed Eadlyn by a mass of her mane and drug her behind him. She kicked and screamed as a new pain washed over her. The pain of feeling ever peddle, rock, and stone ripped against her open wounds, dirt and rock lodging within the raw flesh. “no! no let her go! Where are you taking her!” Eowyn called getting up to her feet. Running after them, Grima walked into the king’s hall and slammed the great heavy doors behind him, the guards locked it. Eowyn banged on the doors “stop him! Stop him!” she called but soon found it was in vain. She paced at the doors nervously pulling at her hair in frustration. She walked outside of the castle and her heart sank further as a white rider and a few companions where headed towards the city. Was it Saruman? Had he come to finish off what was left standing… was this the end of the city she so loved? As the shield maiden of Rohan looked to her people’s flag, it tore from its pole and floated through the air.

The rebirthed Gandalf, Gandalf the White, whom Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli were reunited with in the deepest corners of fangorn, lead the way into the city. Legolas had his eyes fixed upon the great castle ahead of them as the rode slowly through the city. Eadlyn was not with the hobbits, nor was she with Gandalf, she must have been here, he had to be here. After all she once called these lands home long ago. However the look on Gandalf’s face was not assuring to the elf, for it was very grave. Aragorn looked down as the flag of Rohan fell near the hooves of his horse, as he looked around the city his heart broke, such a proud and power people, they once where…but no more. As they neared the castle the villager’s suspicious glances and sidelong looks began to become more and more unnerving. Aragorn cast his eyes to the castle, and spotted Eowyn the only fair sight to behold in Edoras; she seemed to shine under the sunlight. Yet tears rolled down her pale cheeks silently. "You'll find more cheer in a burial ground." Gimli muttered to himself looking right back at all the staring faces.

Eadlyn sat on the ground in the same manner she had been in the prison, at the king’s side. However her body trembled more now. Grima sat at the opposite side of the king in the stewards chair, whispering things in the kings ear, but it was evident it wasn’t the king he was talking to. A small animalistic whine slipped from Eadlyn’s lips, and shrill short of whinny, like that of the fabled Kelpie. Grima glanced at her before whispering something else. As the door opened to the kings hall, Gandalf dressed in his old grey robes walked in. he had his arms linked with Legolas’ for support in walking, and he seemed far more frail that what anyone had remembered. "My lord. Gandalf the Grey is coming. He is a herald of woe." Grima whispered. “Gandalf?” Eadlyn thought trying to raise her head a bit but she didn’t have it in her. Legolas’ eyes fell on the odd creature on the ground. He gazed at it for a while, and then she became known to him. Aragorn saw in Legolas’ eyes the urge to bolt to her side, with a warning glance he placed a hand on the elf’s back before walking along side of him.

"The consideration of your hall is somewhat lessened of late, Théoden King." Gandalf called, Grima leaned over to the king’s side yet again "He is not welcome." Grima uttered. Aragorn and Gimli took glances back at the guards who followed them, as if taking count. "Why should I welcome you, Gandalf Stormcrow?" Théoden said, his voice unnatural and forced, Grima nodded in agreement “a just question my lord” He said before rising to his feet. "Late is the hour in which this conjurer chooses to appear. Lathspell I name him. Ill news is in ill guest." Grima called walking a few paces ahead of the throne. "Be silent! Keep your forked tongue behind you teeth. I have not passed through fire and death to bandy crooked words with a witless worm!" Gandalf barked as his eyes fell on Eadlyn, Grima took a few steps back as Gandalf pointed his staff. “The staff, I told you to take his staff” Grima growled at the guards. Knowing their mistake they rushed to Gandalf. However there blocked by oncoming attacks from Legolas, Gimli and Aragorn, one by one they disarmed the guards and took them to the ground. "Théoden, Son of Théngel. Too long have you sat in the shadows." Gandalf called out walking closer to the kin as the others fought the guards. "I would stay still if I were you." Gimli said as he knocked Grima to the ground stepping on his chest with his heavy foot to hold him in place.

"Harken to me! I release you from the spell." Gandalf called holding out his hand as he closed his eyes. The king began to cackle, a laugh both Eadlyn and Gandalf alike knew far too well…the laugh of Saruman. "You have no power here Gandalf the Grey." He mocked in amusement, Gandalf opened his eyes and flung away his cloak, beneath if glimmering in the lightless room, his new white robes, he glistened with a holy glow, Startled the king moved back into his throne, eyes wide. Legolas leered at the king tearing his eyes away from Eadlyn’s mutilated body. "I will draw you, Saruman, as poison is drawn from a wound." Gandalf called spreading out his arms he aimed his staff at the king, where moved around in the throne squirming under the power of the wizard, he groaned and barked as a magical war waged between Gandalf and Saruman from his tower in Isengard. Eowyn rushed into the hall flying past the guards and moving to run past Aragorn to reach her uncle. The ranger quickly grabbed her arm stopping her in her tracks. “wait!” he called "If I go Théoden dies." The king said yet it was not his voice, the spell was losing its hold and the voice of Saruman now spoke clearly through the kings lips. Eowyn’s eyes flicked to Eadlyn who had slumped over more, her arms about ready to give out.

Gandalf pointed his staff again, and the king was thrown back into his chair. "You did not kill me. You will not kill him." Gandalf said calmly, looking through the kings eyes into Saruman's. Saruman laughed bitterly “Rohan is mine!” he called "Be gone!" Gandalf called out as Théoden launched forward at him, as Gandalf spoke the king was flung backwards into his chair and Saruman from his tower in Isengard, thrown to the floor. He had lost. Gandalf lowered his staff and sighed in victory, Eowyn broke free of Aragorn and ran to her uncle. She kneeled before him and looked into his face, holding his hands. Slowly but surely be began to look like is former self. His eyes searched her eyes and a slight smile came to his face. "I know your face. Eowyn…Eowyn." He said, she nodded and smiled widely holding back tears of joy. Théoden’s eyes wandered over to the wizard “Gandalf?” He questioned "Breathe the free air again, my friend." Gandalf said still a bit tired from the battle. "Dark have been my dreams of late." Théoden muttered in a daze, Gandalf nodded and gave a crooked smile "Your fingers would remember their old strength better…if they grasped your sword." He said, Hama one of the kings meekest guards, scaled the three steps to the throne and held out a grand sword. Théoden grasped it gingerly at first and them firmly, examining it. His eyes then turned to the cowering Grima with hate.

As the king ran after Grima, tossing him down the castle steps, Legolas rushed to Eadlyn side. He got on his knees before her and lifted her face, her eyes where hollow and wild, it was clear she was sinking into the Shadow realm. He touched her face gently his eyes searching over her body horror-struck, he gently picked her up into his arms, and she let out a sharp screech as his arms sunk into the lashes on her back. Eowyn walked over to them timidly He looked at the shield maiden wanting some sort of explanation for this. “they thought she was a spy, it was Grima orders…come I know where she can rest….besides…t-there’s….” Eowyn said her voice failing her for a moment “There’s something she needs to see…” She added before leading Legolas down the halls. Theodred’s room, Eowyn was almost afraid to bring Eadlyn inside, he had laid there for two days now, and fortunately had to rotted as of yet. Eowyn slowly opened the door, Legolas sat Eadlyn down on her feet, his eyes fell upon a dead man in the bed, he looked back at Eowyn with questions. The maiden glanced at the elf before taking Eadlyn’s hand and leading her gently to the bed. “I’m sorry….” She said clasping the She ranger’s hand over Theodred’s arctic one. Eadlyn’s head shot up and still in her wild state her eyes franticly searched over Theodred body. She fell to her knees at his bedside and placed her hands on his face. “I….no…Th-Theodred” she whispered coming to herself, the air about her became less feral . She lifted his body into her arms and got um on the bed, Ignoring her wounds and the pain of her body she cradled him in her arms. Hugging him tightly she hide her face in his neck before crying out, loudly like the fell beasts of the Nazgul. The sound carried out of the halls. Théoden looked upp from where he stood as he watched Grima flee from the city “Where is Theodred? “ He asked Looking to Hama “where is my son?”

The made haste in a memorial service, as Eowyn sang while Theodred was carried to the tomb, Legolas looked up towards the castle in the distance; Eadlyn sat atop of Iluad and watched from a distance, the wind whipped at her hair which was still matted with blood and her wounds were still untreated. But she didn’t seem to feel any of it. She didn’t feel anything at the moment. She didn’t want to, Eowyn’s eyes wandered up to the She ranger, as she finished the last line. Some time had passed now, and though both Legolas and Eowyn strongly urged Eadlyn to have her wounds taken care of, she went to Theodred’s tomb. She kneeled on the ground in front of the door to the large sepulcher, gazing at it in disbelief. She closed her eyes and pulled out her dagger. Grabbing the end of her hair with one swift movement she cut it, and said a soft prayer. Standing up she left the black strands fly away in the light breeze. Gandalf watched her, how once floor length hair that would trail behind her in a regal black train, now only fell to her knees. “ I pray your soul finds the white shores…” She muttered softly gazing at the beautiful white flowers that grew around his grave. "Alas, that these evil days should be mine. The young perish and the old linger. That I should live to see the last days of my house." Théoden uttered lowly in despair. Eadlyn mounted Iluad not being able to take it as the King began to cry. She road back to the city, dismounting from her horse she ran up the steps to the hall, through the halls, running as fast as her weak body would allow her. She didn’t know where she was going all she knew was she couldn’t stop, she was trying to out run her pain, out run and sorrow, out run her failures, her fears, just to leave them behind her.

With her eyes closed she ran into the arms of a stranger, she stood there her head hung low and against their chest. They were shocked at first, but slowly they wrapped their arms around her pulling her closer. She knew this stranger; he wasn’t a stranger at all. Aragorn rested his head on top of hers and rocked her slightly as he held the wilting woman to him. Silent tears fell from Eadlyn’s eyes, and her arms slowly reached around Aragorn returning the embrace, her fingers snapped closed on his shirt beneath his cloak, as she gripped the fabric tightly. More tears fell. Legolas came to a halt as he had been running behind her, he looked one at them in sorrow, hanging his head. Aragorn looked to Legolas and then to Eadlyn, and almost as if a new light had been shed on her. She seemed smaller, frailer, and so lost. Like a motherless child, in an otherwise orphan-less world. Eowyn walked out from the nearby room in which Eadlyn had stopped in front of , Theodred’s room. Eowyn covered her mouth slightly and tried not to cry again as she watched how Eadlyn ‘Rider’ a known stoic figure to the Rohirrim was dwindled down to nothing. “for what few I have…In the end…No one shall be left…” She muttered. “Shhh, shhh….We’re not going anywhere” Aragorn said looking at Legolas, who shifted his weight from one foot to another, Aragorn took a few steps away from Eadlyn allowing Legolas to run to her, he took her up in his arms and crushed her to him, she wrapped her around around his neck and hide her face in his hair. “I’m here…always” He said softly.