Status: Rated R for violence, gore, use of alcohol, suggestive themes and nudity

Into the West

A Time For Play

Eadlyn Sat near Aragorn as they had just finished supper, Gimli still snacked on nearby bread, while Legolas, Aragorn and Eadlyn had their eyes fixed upon two children whom had wandered into Edoras. Eowyn had fetched them something to eat and made sure they were settled in. She turned to the king “"They had no warning and they were unarmed. Now the Wildmen are moving through westfold, burning as they go” Eowyn said darkly, she glanced down at the two children, brother and sister, before rising to her feat. Eadlyn eyed the children warily, kids had never taken to her, and in most cases, her sheer looks alone made them cry in fright and run back to their parents. "This is but a savor of the anguish that Saruman will unleash. All the more potent for he is driven mad by the fear of Sauron." Eadlyn said with a hard gaze upon Gandalf and the king. Her sorrow growing steadily more into hatred so strong it could out burn the fires of Mordor. "Ride out, meet him head on. Pilot him back away from your women and children. You must fight." Gandalf said turning to Théoden, the king seemed at a great loss on what would be right to do. "You have two thousand excellent men riding north as we speak. Eomer is devoted to you. His men will come back and fight for their king." Aragorn added in “Eomer?” Eadlyn said looking up at Aragorn “you’ve seen him?” a tiny hint of hope linger in her voice, Aragorn nodded slightly and glanced at her, before giving his focus back to the king.

"They will be three hundred leagues from here by now!” Théoden called out loudly in frustration, he got up from his seat and paced across the floor “Eomer cannot help us." He muttered Eadlyn frowned “give him that chance to figure that out on his own my lord. He may yet pull through” Eadlyn cut in lowly, Théoden turned to her sharply and looked through her with empty eyes. "I know what is that you want of me.” The king sighed heavily and looked to Aragorn “But I would not bring added death to my people. I will not risk open war. I cannot" Théoden added, Eadlyn frowned "Open war is upon you, whether would risk it or not." Aragorn said, his words were slow, and pointed, the look Eadlyn's words right from her mouth. Death was coming to Rohan one way or another, Théoden’s best chance for his people was to fight back. "When last I remember, Théoden, not Aragorn, was king of Rohan." The king barked Eadlyn rose to her feet and leered at him “But is is Aragorn whom leads the line your people came from” She hissed back, as the words left her mouth she found she had surprised herself. Where had that come from? Why would she come to Aragorn’s defense, after all he abandoned their people, her people. He was selfish in his underline nature. Was he not?

Aragorn looked up at Eadlyn in mild shock and then a miniscule smile came to the corner of his lips. “Sit” He said lowly so that the others could not hear, as he did so he grabbed her sleeve pulling her back to the bench of the table. Eadlyn sat and watched Théoden intensely, Gandalf to held a smirk on his face, he cleared his throat and fixed his gaze upon the King. "Then what is the king's decision?" Gandalf said as dry as ash. Théoden glared down at his feet, He knew what he had to do, not for the sake of his pride, but for the sake of his people whom trusted him. “Evacuate the city” He muttered.

"By order of the King, the city must empty. We make for the shelter of Helm's Deep. Do not yoke yourself with treasures. Take only what rations you need!” Hama called through the city. Eadlyn followed behind Legolas, Aragorn, Gimli, and Gandalf to the stables. As they did so they pasted the Prison, Eadlyn gazed at it darkly as flash back scorched her mind. Closing her eyes tightly she placed her hand over her heart as pain surged through it. A paint she hadn’t felt in a while now. “Mine…See how they treat you…see what they’ve done” Sauron called to her “Eadlyn” He hummed a deep dark rumbling in her heart, a burning like acids through her core. Legolas stopped walking and looked back at the she ranger; his stormy eyes flickered with concern as he walked back to her. “Eadlyn?” He called out quietly, tilting his head to look her in the face, He eyes opened slowly and she removed her hand from her heart, shakily. Legolas searched her eyes and she nodded, signaling that she was fine.

"Helm's Deep! They flee to the mountains when they should stand and fight. Who will defend them if not their king?" Gimli said and Eadlyn and Legolas entered the stables. "He is only doing what he thinks is best for his people. Helm's Deep has saved them long-ago” Aragorn replied looking somewhat distant, Gandalf walked in a hurried way, his face looked displeased, and his tone biting "There is no way out than that of narrow valley. Théoden is walking into a trap. He thinks he is leading them to protection, but what he'll get is carnage." Gandalf barked. "Théoden has a strong hold but I fear for him.” Gandalf added gentler now, Eadlyn nodded “and for the life of Rohan. There is not much more they can lose.” She muttered walking behind Gandalf; he glanced at her and nodded "He will need you before the end, Aragorn.” Gandalf spoke facing the ranger “The people of Rohan will need you. The defenses have to hold." He added. Eadlyn’s eyes wandered into Aragorn’s and they locked, staying there. Was it wise to put such trust in him, would he keep hold to these people or would he flee as he had in the past? Was this role to close to his rightful destiny? “Then again” Eadlyn thought looking Aragorn over, something had greatly changed in him as of late, she could not point it out exactly but something was new. Aragorn looked into Eadlyn’s eyes and in then he could see her doubt, and so far through the journey she had proved him wrong in this thinking’s of her, this time, he wanted to prove something to her. “They will hold” Aragorn said turning his gaze to the wizard.

"The Grey Pilgrim. That is what they used to call me. Three hundred lives of men I've walked this earth and now, now, I have no time." Gandalf sighed, mounting Shadowfax, Eadlyn held the steed’s reigns "Good luck. My search will not be in vain." Gandalf said, Eadlyn looked down at the ground “Gandalf” she said slowly looking up at him. “Northway, you know where the stone of the Mearas is, wait there for me. And I shall meet you to add your search” Eadlyn said Gandalf nodded and looked to Aragorn "Look to our coming, at first light, on the fifth day. At dawn, look to the East." Gandalf said sternly, Eadlyn released the reigns and stepped to the side “go” Aragorn said smacking the rear of Shadowfax causing the horse to bolt out of the stables with its rider. Slowly people began to leave the stables. Legolas walked to Eadlyn’s side “what time are we leaving?” he asked fully determined to go with her after Gandalf. Eadlyn laughed “we? We aren’t going anywhere you are staying here with Aragorn” she said humorously shaking her head as she walked past him “No I am going with you” He stated nothing finding it very funny in the least little bit. Eadlyn stopped and sighed. She smiled and touched his face gingerly “Legolas, I am a big girl…I can travel on my own just fine…I’ve done it all my life” she said casting her eyes over to Aragorn whom was talking with some of Théoden’s men she nodded in his direction “He will need you with him. They all will need you. No one’s better with a bow or more graceful on the battlefield, if it comes to that.” She said Legolas placed his hands over hers and nodded, he didn’t like it but if being here was more helpful in her eyes than being with her, he would stay. “I will come back, with Gandalf. Remember at first light, on the fifth day” She said, Legolas nodded again and removed his hands from hers she pulled her to him and kissed her forehead “My valar keep you” he said gently before walking off. Eadlyn looked after him as he walked away, before turning to the Kings Hall. There were a few things she required before heading out.

"You are a daughter of kings. A shield maiden of Rohan. I do not think that will be your fate." Aragorn said to Eowyn , she tore her eyes away from the handsome ranger and fixed them upon Eadlyn who quickly walked to them. “Eowyn” She called passing by Aragorn. Eowyn nodded and opened up the trunk “I had a feeling you’d leave us…to go in pursuit of Eomer” she said quickly. Out of the trunk she pulled out a blade, and a very small shield. “These where Theodred’s.” Eowyn said handing them over to Eadlyn, who took them from her with great care. “I am sure he would want you to have them” she added with a faltering smile. Eadlyn pulled free the blade from it’s sheath holding it up in front of her face she looked over it carefully before swinging it. Being careful o keep it away from any living bodies. She swung it around trying out her movements with the sword. As she swung it around, Aragorn pulled forth his sword and walked in front of her. Blocking her swing, he smirked down at her “consider it a quick rematch.” He said recalling the spare they had long ago at the very start of their journey. Eadlyn freed her sword from his and took a step back. “consider it so” she said smoothly a slight menacing smirk on her lips. Aragorn shivered, but stood his ground.

A small crowd gathered around the two as they spared, both seeming to be equally matched, where Aragorn lacked in speed he held in a strong block, and here Eadlyn’s strength failed her, her quick movements prevailed. Eowyn watched the two rangers with a smile on her face, clapping she cheered them both on. Legolas and Gimli pushed their way to the front of the small crowd of men whom watched. Gimli roared in amused laughter and clapped his hands together. “come on laddie, do nto lose face to just a small little lass!” Gimlii called. Eadlyn’s ees flared up “small?” she hiss in a deep dark tone, but this only seemed to amuse Aragorn as he laughed at her reaction. She leered up at him “I’ll show you small” she growled fighting back fiercer, her movements almost blinding, Aragorn struggled to keep up. Legolas smiled “always fights better when mad” she muttered Eowyn walked to his side “is that so, how do you know Eadlyn?” She asked him. Maybe she was biased on the idea of the she ranger being with her cousin, because that’s all she had ever pictured. But she wasn’t so trusting of this Elf with her friend, after all elves had never treated Eadlyn like a living creature, a feeling creature. Legolas looked down at the blue eyed blonde. A knowing smile came to his face. “She and I, just as you had, grew up with one another, for a time” He said fondly a twinkle came to his eyes “so you are her friend?” Eowyn asked shocked Legolas looked at Eadlyn watching her spare “to be honest I’ve yet to hear her say it. But I would like to think so. “ he said with a slight pause “even so there is a thorn in my hear that I should selfishly like to think, that maybe….” He trailed off, Eowyn smiled in him she saw a lot of her cousin, and The Elf talked of Eadlyn as Theodred once had. She chuckled and shook her head “I swear I shall never know the wonder of how all the world can hate her core, and yet she can bring the strongest of warriors down to their knee’s with just a gimlpse of her ability to love.” Eowyn said softly and smile playing on her lips. Legolas looked up stunned “No you mistook me” He said quickly, she looked up at him confidently a smirk on her face “did I…or did you give me to much to take from?” He asked slyly before walking over to Eadlyn and Aragorn who had both given up. “let’s call it a draw” He puffed out of breath “I call it nothing…but if you are so tired…I cannot drain you of your strength you will need it” Eadlyn said her pride not allowing her to admit that she to had been worn out.

The crowd wandered away and Eadlyn sheathed her sword. Turning her gaze to the approaching Maiden. “must you go so quickly. See us off just a little ways yet” Eowyn asked looking down at Eadlyn, who smiled at the girl softly and nodded “I will stay to see you off a little ways. But I cannot linger, the faster Gandalf and I can find Eomer, the better off you all will be” She said, Eowyn grinned down at her and hugged her before wandering off. Aragorn put back his sword and smiled at Eadlyn “she looks up to you greatly, you can see it in her eyes” He said Eadlyn frowned slightly “yes, but there is fear there as well…it lingers in all whom have known me” She said with a sighed. Aragorn made her look at him lifting her chin “I see not fear, not the fear that you speak of, but a fear that is respect a reverence” he said lowly, Eadlyn searched his eyes and opened her mouth to speak but closed it and pulled away and turned her back “speak to me of reverence when you re-call the scars that mar my back, and glance at these skinless hands beneath their wraps” Eadlyn said looking down at her bandaged hands. “No reverence is held, and I ask not more it. I ask to be seen, for what lies in me beneath the Black hand that made me” She said as she walked away. Aragorn watched her go sighing heavily. “by whatever I can give to it…the black hand shall hold you no more” Aragorn muttered before walking off himself.