Status: Rated R for violence, gore, use of alcohol, suggestive themes and nudity

Into the West

Shadows of Promise

Frodo walked across newly found lush lands, as Gollum lead them his secret way to Mordor. Frodo held the ring in his fingers twirling it around on his chain as he walked. His eyes focused on the creature before him that was splashing around in the water, half out of his wits mind seeming to have been reduced to that of a child at some times. And Frodo found that worried him. How long was this Journey to take? What would the ring do to him in that time? Would he be able to complete this journey at all? See the Shire again, maybe one last dance with Eadlyn under the great party tree. He couldn’t say. But he had to go on, for the Shire’s sake, and for those he so loved there, for Eadlyn, for the fellowship, for Gandalf. "Hey stinker! Don't go getting too far ahead!" Sam called out to Gollum harshly seeing that he had wandered far off up the stream now. Frodo stopped walking and looked fiercely lightly at Sam "Why do you do that?" Frodo asked a hidden quality in his tone, Sam looked back at Frodo slightly confused “do what?” he asked Frodo nodded to Gollum in the distance "Call him names? Run him down all the time." Frodo said. Sam looked back at Gollum and then back to Frodo "Because. Because Mister Frodo” Sam said with a paused “that’s what he is. There’s not anything left in him but lies and deceit. It's the Ring he desires. It's all he cares about." Sam said Frodo narrowed his eyes at him "You have no idea what it did to him. What is still doing to him!” he called out, he looked past Sam to Gollum, as he tackled fish in the water “I want to help him Sam." He said absently. “why?” Sam asked truly not understanding the meaning behind all of this, Gollum was merely their guide for the moment, and otherwise he would have nothing to do with him. "Because I have to believe he can come back." Frodo said his voice trailing away.

“For one day that would be me” this thought lingered in his head, but he dare not voice it. It was a silent truth that Frodo saw growing every truer with each passing day. But he dare not tell Sam this nor anyone else. "You cannot save him, Mister Frodo." Sam said resting a hand on Frodo’s shoulder A sneer came to Frodo face as he whirled around face Sam. "What do you know about it?” Frodo barked his tone had taken a strange pitch that had sounded all too familiar “Nothing!" Frodo yelled. Sam looked at Frodo blankly and walked past him. Frodo quickly came back to his senses, and fear arose in him He looked up at Sam in disbelief at himself. "I'm sorry Sam. I don't know why I said that." Frodo stammered, Sam closed his eyes and sigh, the very truth that Frodo was hiding, was the very thing Sam already knew, He was losing his friend. "I do.” Said sighed turning to face Frodo “It's the Ring. You can't take your eyes off it. I've seen you. You're not eating. You barely sleep. It's taking a hold of you Mister Frodo. You have to fight it." Sam said getting into Frodo’s face, "I know what I must to do Sam.” Frodo said getting right back into his face, almost as if Sam had challenged him, his defenses where high because of his fear of the cold truth. “The Ring was entrusted to me. It's my task!” He called walking past Sam “Mine! My own!" He called out loudly his eyes widened when he heard his own words, and his hands began to tremble. “My, Precious” Gollum's voiced echoed in his head, Frodo’s heart sank and he closed his eyes slowly and kept walking "Can't you hear yourself?” Sam called after him his voice pleading “Don't you know who you sound like?" he added, Frodo halted and looked up at Gollum who was still at the great distance. “I know Sam…I know far too well” Frodo thought.

Meanwhile Eadlyn road with the villagers of Edoras as promised. She laughed as she watched Eowyn help Gimli off of the ground as he was thrown from the horse he was riding one. Eowyn spotted Legolas smiling down at Eadlyn fondly a twinkle was in his eyes as he sighed inwardly. A smirk came to the maiden’s face as she walked up to Eadlyn. “I know something you don’t know” she sang as if she were back in her elementary days of basic play. Eadlyn arched a brow “a bit to old for that kind of sort now aren’t we?” she asked Eowyn shook her head “no we’re not…answer mea riddle?” Eowyn said Eadlyn nodded and waited the riddle “what's made of wheat, dusted in cane, owns oceans of blue. Lives in shadows green, where angels sing, and dreams long of cocoa and cream” She sang Eadlyn looked down at her as if she had lost her mind. “a bakery?” she answered Eowyn shook her head and danced around her playful “so it still goes, I know something you don’t know” she giggled tapping Eadlyn’s nose before running off. “You little dandy lion, get back here!” Eadlyn called after her chasing her round and round, the line that contained, Théoden, Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli. They had not heard what caused the girls to act so foolish but it was funny all the same. Legolas laughed out loud and watched them. Aragorn chuckled softly and smiled. Théoden smiled fondly "I have not seen my niece smile in a long time." He said Aragorn looked to him "She was a girl when they brought her father back dead. Cut down by Orcs." He added, Aragorn looked over to Eowyn and she looked back smiling and giggling as Eadlyn chased after her “get back her and tell me!” he heard Eadlyn call out faintly. “Never! You have to figure out the riddle” Eowyn replied.

"She watched her mother succumb to grief. And she was left alone to tend her king in growing fear. Doomed to wait upon an old man who should have loved her as a father." Théoden finished, Araognr looked back to the two girls, his eyes caught up with Eowyn’s and they lingered there, under Eadlyn tackled the girl to the ground gently, the two rolled down a small hill laughing all the way. Eadlyn pinned Eowyn to the ground as she giggled uncontrollably, Eadlyn leered at her in a playful sort “now tell me” she demanded Eowyn just shook her head and kept laughing. Aragorn watch the girls and laughed at them, now many of the on lookers where laughing and wondering what had gotten into them. “what do you suppose that was all about?” Aragorn asked as both Théoden and Legolas were at his side. “With those to, it could be anything, they’ve been that way since they were just girls” Théoden said his smile growing wider “and form what I’ve learned, with Eadlyn there are just some things..you’ll never know” Legolas said with a chuckle. “aye…she is a mystery” Aragorn said lowly. Eadlyn got off of Eowyn and rolled over on her back next to her. The maiden took her pinkie and locked it onto Eadlyn’s pinkie. Her eyes looked to the sky. She though now was not a time to be just lounging around in the grass. It felt like time stood still. “Promise me something” Eowyn said in a distant tone, Eadlyn sat up on her elbows lower arms looking down at Eowyn “hm?” she asked Eowyn smiled resing one hand on her stomach the other still had her pinkie latched around Eadlyn’s. “Promise me…that she shall be friends to whatever end” Eowyn said her voice fading away. Eadlyn looked down at her.

Was it even possible for her to promise such a thing, with her nature, she knew not what was to come? What she would turn into. Eowyn looked up at Eadlyn turning her eyes away from the sky, an innocent and happy smile on her face. “promise me” He repeated, Eadlyn nodded slowly “I promise” She said Gripping her pinkie around Eowyn’s tighter “to whatever end” she added, Eowyn’s smiled turned into a grin as she quickly sat up and Embraced The she ranger.

The refugees made camp for the day, as the sun was now starting the set. Eadlyn packed up Iluad preparing to leave soon, she watched as Eowyn offered from stew to Gimli who rejected it politely. Eadlyn nudged Legolas’ side “watch” she said in amusement Legolas smiled down at her and did as he was told. Eowyn walked over to Aragorn, with the bowl. "I made some stew. It isn't much, but it's hot." He said gently handing him the bowl; her eyes danced awaiting what he thought of it. It was more than obvious to the watching eye she wanted to showcase herself to him. After all that’s just what a ranger needs in a lady right? A loving heart that can warm his spirits and give him a nice hot meal to satisfy his hungry after being gone for so long, same could be said for the needs of a king. “thank you” Aragorn said with a smile as he took the Bowl and spoon gratefully. He brought the stew to his lips and took a bit. He swallowed down hard and tried to hide how awful it really tasted, after all the girl looked so proud of her work. He nodded and made a sound that some somewhere along the lines of “mmmh” He said looking up at her he smiled and painfully took another spoonful “it’s good” he managed. Eowyn’s lit up “really!” he asked with excitement. Aragorn nodded and smiled, Eowyn sighed and walked away please with herself to make more. Eadlyn laughed and shook her head before heading over to Him. But she stopped herself as Eowyn suddenly turned around and headed back to the ranger, feeling confident now.

Aragorn whom had just poured the rest of the stew out on the ground, hurriedly tried to recover himself as he notice she was returning. "My Uncle told me a strange thing. He said that you rode to war with Thengel, my grandfather. But he must be mistaken." Eowyn said with a half laugh, Aragorn looked up at her "King Théoden has a good memory. He was only a small child at the time." Aragorn stated his eyes wandered over to Eadlyn who was now back talking to Legolas. "Then you must be at least sixty. Seventy?” Eowyn paused and her eyes grew large “But you cannot be eighty!" he gasped, Aragorn chuckled a bit and nodded "Eighty-seven." He said looking down a smile still played at his lips. "You are one of the Dunedain. A descendant of Numenor, blessed with long life. It was said that your race had passed into legend." Eowyn said her face very serious now. Aragorn looked up at her "There are few of us left.” Aragorn said as Eadlyn turned to look back at him “But the Northern Kingdom was destroyed long ago." Aragorn sighed. Eowyn followed his gaze to Eadlyn she then snapped her eyes back to Aragorn in shock “I’m sorry” she said quick gesturing to his bowl, which he hadn’t completely emptied out “please eat” she said with a smile, lingering for a moment before scurrying away.

Eadlyn watched her leave a great distance before walking over to Aragorn, she sat herself down next to him and laughed as he dumped the rest of the stew. “worse than that of orc blood isn’t it” she said with a smirk Aragorn looked at her and rolled his eyes he mouthed “yes” whipping his tongue off with a cloth to get the taste off. Eadlyn laughed and watched Eowyn from afar “her mother passed before she learned cooking skills…and I left them before her lessons were done” Eadlyn said in a distant memory. Aragorn looked down at her “you cook?” he asked incredulously She looked up at him “I’ve not seen you cook, a day since we started the journey” he said with a smile. “well I hunt don’t I?” Eadlyn asked “that doesn’t mean you can cook what you catch” he laughed. Eadlyn looked at the meat she had on a stick. She was going to eat it herself, but she now had a point to prove “hear have at it” she said slyly handing him the food. Aragorn looked down at her before cautiously taking a bit. He chewed slowly before his eyes glimmered “good I know…she said rising to her feet” she went to walk away “and that’s month old wolf meat!” she called back, Aragorn stopped chewing and quickly spit it out” he quickly got to his feat and ran after her “wait! Rider!” he called Eadlyn stopped. He looked down at her and took off the Evenstar holding it out to her “take this; I know you will return it, it will help it, an undying light when all other fail. I know no one who will need it more that you” He said carefully. Eadlyn looked at the star, and then back at Aragorn. She took one of his hands, and face it palm up, she then took the star form him and enclosed it in that hand, slowly. “I am bond for the dark, there I thrive. It was her gift to you. It is her heart. Kept it. You will need it more than I. I am coming to understand now” She said in a low soft tone. “coming to understand what?” Aragorn asked just as softly Leaning down to hear her “ That I, I am my own light in the darkness.” She said looking into his eyes. “A star rises out of the darkness” these words lingered in his head, he had heard them before long long ago. He watched her as she walked off and mounted her horse. Eadlyn bid farewell to Legolas, Gimli, Eowyn, and Théoden before riding off into the sunset.