Status: Rated R for violence, gore, use of alcohol, suggestive themes and nudity

Into the West

The Morgul Blade

Eadlyn brust through the doors of the Inn looking around, she spotted Merry, Pippin and Sam getting ready to head up a flight of stairs “Sam!” Eadlyn called running over to them with a slight limp “where is Frodo?” She asked. “Strider took him that ranger took him up the stairs!” Sam said furious Eadlyn glared at the stairwell “Strider huh” she growled running up the flight of steps. She through open the door Strider looked at her shocked for a second; Frodo smiled but was still afraid. The other hobbits rushed in front of Eadlyn. "Let him go! Or I'll have you Longshanks!"Sam called out his hands into fists. Eadlyn held her arm out in Front of him. “Let the Halfling go strider” she said her voice had child over and her words where pointed. Strider leered at her. "You have a stout heart little hobbit, but that will not save you. You can no longer wait for the wizard Frodo. They're coming." He said, ignoring the female ranger, Eadlyn leered at him “He will go nowhere with you..Gandalf’s trusted me to protect him” Eadlyn barked drawing her sword, Frodo looked between the two rangers “you will only lead them to him…you pose more risk!” Strider growled “Frodo’s life is mine and lies with my hands…I will not trust him into the hands of a failure! A coward!” Eadlyn barked Strider got quiet and looked at her with wild eyes as she removed her hood, her white eyes pierced into his soul. The Hobbits watched them intently.

Night had fallen; Both Eadlyn and Strider where up while the hobbits rested, or at least tried to rest, one ranger on either side of the room. Eadlyn stood protectively next to Frodo whom was up and watching her he felt safer now but he couldn’t say he trusted Strider completely. Eadlyn could feel the Black Riders they were now in the Inn its self. She closed her eyes and held her blades crisscrossed near her chest as she leaned against the wall near the door. Strider too had his sword ready; however his gaze was fixed upon Eadlyn. A loud screech filled the air moments later, Strider looked outside of the window to see the Black Riders mounting their horses and riding off into the night. “Alright…so your plan worked” Eadlyn said hating to admit it. The Hobbits had woken up completely.

The Hobbits watched the two rangers, wide eyed at the sounds the Riders had made. “what are they?” Frodo said with frightened eyes. Eadlyn closed her eyes and looked away walking over to the other side of the room. To see him look like that, Strider watched Eadlyn’s reaction to Frodo "They were once Men. Great kings of Men." Strider said slowly "Then Sauron the Deceiver gave to them nine Rings of Power. Blinded by their greed, they took them without question. One by one falling into darkness." He continued tearing his eyes away from Eadlyn who seemed to shrink back with every word. He looked at the hobbits, Frodo noticed Eadlyn’s behavior and looked at her in a puzzled way. She glanced at him sidelong but quickly closed her eyes and turned her head away. "Now they are slaves to his will. They are the Nazgûl, Ringwraiths, neither living nor dead. At all times they feel the presence of the Ring. Drawn to the power of the One. “ Aragorn said pausing he looked back to Eadlyn, “They will never stop hunting you." He said pointedly he wanted her to hear that, Eadlyn glared at Strider from the corner of her eye, He shivered under her hollow white eyes. Frodo looked to Strider and then Eadlyn “Rider…” He whispered, Eadlyn quickly sheathed her swords and stormed out of the room. Outside of the door she collapsed to her knees and looked down at her hands which had balled up into fists. “You cannot run…it will bring you home” Sauron’s voice whispered into her soul “You…are…mine” He added Eadlyn’s eyes flew open “No…I am my own” she growled under her breath, she winced as a sharp pain flew through her heart and down into her lungs. It felt as if something was stabbing her, Eadlyn let out a sharp cry.

Frodo heard Eadlyn’s cry and quickly ran out the door, seeing her on the ground he ran to her side, resting his hand on her back as he looked over her shoulder to see her face. “Eadlyn! What’s wrong?” he asked franticly She shook her head and brushed his hand off her back. “I’ll be fine” she said getting to her feet slowly, Strider watched her emotionlessly from the door way. He looked up at him leering “I am not what you think I am” she hissed pushing past him and climbing out the bedroom’s window. Frodo watched her do so confused and worried.

That morning Eadlyn stood outside of the Inn holding the reigns of her horse and a new pony. “here Sam..” she said softly handing the hobbit the reigns “he can carry most of those pots and such…make your load lighter…we’ve a long way to go…” She said glaring up at Strider. He wanted to take the Hobbits to the Elf City, it wasn’t a bad plan, but it was dangerous and she did not trust him. “thank you…he’s beautiful…I think I’ll call him Bill” Sam said with a smile, at this Eadlyn couldn’t help but smile warmly down at the hobbit. Strider watched her do so and arched an eye brow. Her smiled quickly faded when she saw how he was looking at her. She turned her back to them all “let’s go…” She said leading Iluad along.

The party traveled through the forests again. Eadlyn was in the far back, and strider in the front to protect the hobbits from both ends. “Where are you taking us?” Frodo asked Strider. “into the wild” he said simply Frodo frowned in frustration Eadlyn new this man far too well and knew curtness was something Frodo would have to get used to. “how do we know this Strider is a friend of Gandalf?” Merry asked “Eadlyn doesn’t even like him” He added. "I think a servant of the Enemy would look fairer and feel fouler." Frodo said never taking his eyes off of the male ranger. “he’s foul enough” Pippin piped in. “we have no other choice but to trust him…” Frodo said looking back at Eadlyn she never took her eyes o of strider, “besides…we’re under watchful eyes” He added smiling a small smile at the She ranger. “yes but where is he taking us?” Sam asked. "To Rivendell, Master Gamgee. To the House of Elrond." Strider said loudly letting the hobbits know he could hear them. “ah being brave I see strider…putting up such a front…you know who lives there in awaiting you…you the one who abandoned her…” Eadlyn said darkly. Strider stopped walking and stood as still as stone. He looked back at Eadlyn and glared at her. “I know who you are…” she whispered her voice distorted like that of the Black Riders. Only no one other than strider heard any of Eadlyn’s part of the conversation, she was inside of his head. He watched her as she smirked darkly at him. "Did you hear that? Rivendell! We're going to see the Elves!" Sam said in glee. Strider had started walking again and Eadlyn giggled at Sam’s excitement. Even though the situation was just as grave for her as it was for strider.

The party stopped in a snowy area, the hobbits stopped and pulled out their cookware, Eadlyn watched them and the stood on top of a large boulder, keeping watch. Strider looked around making sure no other presence was around. "Gentlemen, we do not stop 'till nightfall." He ordered to the hobbits. Eadlyn looked at Strider as if he where ignorant and shook her head. “You know nothing of Hobbits do you?” she asked coldly. "What about breakfast?" Pippin asked "We've already had it." Strider replied quickly Pippin stood up "We've had one, yes. What about second breakfast?" He asked. Strider rolled his eyes and kept walking. Eadlyn jumped off of her rock ad sighed, she helped the hobbits put back their cookware. “Ignorant oaf isn’t he” she muttered making them chuckled. Frodo smiled at her slightly glad to see she wasn’t all the way checkout. "Don't think he knows about second breakfast Pip." Merry said. Pippin turned to his cousin with wide eyes "What about elevenses? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper? He knows about them doesn't he?" Pippin asked Eadlyn shook her head and set the things on Bills back. "I wouldn't count on it." Merry said patting Pippin’s shoulder. Eadlyn looked up to see Strider in the bushes, an apple whizzed through the air and Merry caught it, and handed it to Pippin, whom looked up at the sky. Eadlyn watch Strider as he looked back at her the two were locked in a stare down before strider started walking again.

The landscape became merciless as they entered marsh lands, the much of the marsh was knee deep for the hobbits, and little fly bugs much like misquitos attacked the party, Pippin swatted at them "What do they eat” Merry said between swatting at the bugs “ when they can't get Hobbit?" He asked. Pippin tripp over a thick parch of muck and fell into the marsh. Eadlyn held out her hand and pulled him to his feet. “wait” she called out halting Iluad, she picked up Pippin ad put him on the large mare’s back, “come now she’s large enough to it all four of you” Eadlyn said as the other hobbits lined up to be mounted. Once they where all on the mare’s back Strider started walking again. Eadlyn lead Iluad behind her. “oh this is much better, we’re even higher than the bugs now” Pippin said very pleased. “I’m just thankful for the rest” Frodo said as Sam as rubbing his calf “me to” Sam said.

Night fell and after much argueing about who was going to stay with the hobbits, Eadlyn finally won the battle and got Strider to go hunt for food. She helped the Hobbits set up cap and a warm fire. Strider came back shortly with a Doe he had caught, he tossed it onto the ground in front of Eadlyn. His eyes said “you cook it” she just leered at him. Once the Hobbits where fed, and asleep Eadlyn stood at a distance from the camp overlooking the land surrounding them. “Strider sat down and began to hum while fiddling with a knife. "Tinúviel elvanui, Elleth alfirin ethelhael O hon ring finnil fuinui A renc gelebrin thiliol. Tinúviel the elven-fair, Immortal maiden elven-wise, About him cast her night-dark hair, And arms like silver glimmering.” He sang, Eadlyn frowned and with a short grunt she walked ever further away from the camp. Strider watch her with a blank gaze. The son awoke Frodo, he sat up and looked at Strider. "Who is she? This woman you sing of?" Frodo asked, Strider never took his eyes off of Eadlyn "'Tis the Lady of Lúthien. The Elf-maiden who gave her love to Beren, a mortal." Strider murmured his tone was sadden and troubled. “what happed to her?” Frodo asked as Strider looked away from Eadlyn “she died” He said softly looking off to the side. Eadlyn frowned and glared at the ground, her fist clenched, Frodo noticed this small movement and gazed at her, he wondered why she was so far away. Strider turned to Frodo, the air around him was much kinder and softer now. "Get some sleep, Frodo." He said.

That following day the party had left the marshlands. Eadlyn trailed behind everyone, she hadn’t said much or made eye contact, and seemed to be in deep thought. Frodo kept glancing back at her. He was worried, she was not acting herself. “What’s wrong mister Frodo?” Sam asked Frodo looked back at Eadlyn “ I don’t know…and that’s what bugging me….” Frodo said turning back to Sam “I want to help her Sam…” He said. Sam looked back at the She ranger and nodded. Strider came to a stop in front of an odd rock formation. The landscape had become quick rocky, yet it was still far better than the marshes. Strider looked up at the rock formation "This was the great watchtower of Amon Sûl. We shall rest here tonight." Strider instructed Eadlyn looked at the tower a warning filled her heart. “…I…this isn’t a good idea… the Riders know you strider…they will know you would stop here” She voice slowly. However he ignored her and led the group up the hill. “Whatever happens…you all stay near me” Eadlyn whispered to the hobbits gathering them around her.

The sun started to go down and clouds took over the sky, the made camp on an overhanging just below the ruined tower. The hobbits where grateful for the break and set sat down under the tower. Strider pulled out a few short swords and handed them to the hobbits. “so you where listening to me..” Eadlyn said to Strider, He glanced at her briefly before handing Frodo a sword. "These are for you. Keep them close. I'm going to have a look around. Stay here." He said to the hobbits “like I’m not even here” Eadlyn thought bitterly Frodo walked over to Eadlyn and grabbed her hand, looking up at her. “Don’t worry about him…” He said looking down at his feet and then back up at her “I trust you…we all do” Frodo said with a small smile. Eadlyn watched him silently before a smile found its way onto her face “thank you master Frodo…” She said, giving his hand a light squeeze. He nodded and released her hand before heading back to the others. Merry and Pippin whispered something with him and Frodo took one last glance at Eadlyn before setting up for the night.

“No!” Eadlyn hissed in a hushed voice, night had fallen, and everything was dark, everything but the fire Merry, Pippin, and Sam had started. Frodo sat up quickly at the sound of her voice “my tomato burst” “can I have some bacon?” “ok want some tomatoes” the three hobbits said ignoring Eadlyn. “what are you doing?” Frodo cried out franticly. Eadlyn stood over the hobbits baffled at this simple minded act. She opened and closed her mouth wanting to shout but to stunned to do so. "Tomatoes, sausages, nice crispy bacon." Merry said unfazed “was saved some for you mister Frodo” Sam said holding out the pan. Eadlyn felt a pain serge through her heart, she grunted and clenched the shirt covering her chest, before her head snapped up she looked out into the distance. “you fools!” she growled at the hobbits before running out from the shelter of the overhanging. "Put it out, you fools! Put it out!" Frodo yelled running to the fire he stomped on it putting it out. He then cast his gaze to Eadlyn watching her movements as she unsheathed her swords and her eyes darted around looking for something moving. "Oh, that's nice! Ash on my tomatoes!" Pippin cried out. Frodo looked back at him incredulously A Nazgul’s scream filled the air. Eadlyn gasped as the pain got worse, she clenched her heart dropping one of her swords. Seeing ti fall she quickly picked it up trying to ignore the pain. She gazed over the over hanging down at the misty grounds below “five…” she muttered, The hobbits ran to her side to see for themselves. Upon seeing them they drew their swords and looked at one another afraid. “It will be ok…” Eadlyn grunted through the pain. “just stay with me” she added stronger this time as she rose to her feet slowly. She drew in a sharp breath and swung her swords around in circles. “up the steps go!” She called and the hobbits wasted no time doing as they were told, she trailed behind them.

The Hobbits stood in the middle of the ruin ring that was once a watch tower, “back to back!” Eadlyn called placing the hobbits to each other’s back. She looked Frodo in the eyes getting down to his level “Do not break formation…do you hear me” She said calmly, Frodo looked deep into her eyes and nodded, he was afraid, and that was because in her eyes, he saw fear. He had never seen any emotion other than playfulness and assuredness in her eyes. “ E-eadlyn….” Frodo stammered, searching her eyes. “Stay with each other, if you get separated, find me….” She said standing back up at full height. “And if I’m down….Find Strider” She said coldly. Frodo shook his head but stayed quiet.

Nazgul surrounded the five of them, pulling out long thick swords made of pure rough iron. Eadlyn drew in a sharp breath. And watched the wraths move in closer. Sam began to lose is cool out of fear “Back you devils!” he cried out swinging at one of the wraths, their swords clashed and Sam was thrown to the side. “Sam!” Eadlyn called knocking the wrath in the back of the head It screeched and backhanded her with its blade, Frodo began to backup out of fear and stumbled, falling. Be backed up until it hit a fallen piece of wall reaching into his pocket he pulled out the ring holding in plan site for all. The leader of the Nazgul spotted this and turned to him heading towards Frodo. Eadlyn felt the leader’s movements and turned around “Frodo! No!” she called running to the leader. Frodo backed up some more but couldn’t go anywhere; the leader pulled out a long danger and held it up. Afraid Frodo slipped on the ring, and was taken into the Shadow realm. Pain surged through Eadlyn’s heart, she gasped and tried to breathe, once she regained herself she focused on Frodo and the Nazgul, all of their true forms had shown in this world of the dead. Each one of the Nazgul where shinning in this realm and they wore brilliant crowns, but they had the bodies of ghosts. They surrounded Frodo and cornered him. Eadlyn regained her strength seeing him in trouble and darted for them Blades raised. The leader, the witch-king reached out for the ring, The ring wanting to be returned raised Frodo’s hand, whispering to the Nazgul in black speech. Frodo spotted Eadlyn pushing through the Nazgul her sword raised to the witch king while he was not looking. Frodo quickly yanked his hand away; the witch king was furious at this and plunged his sword into Frodo shoulder just as Eadlyn had jumped in the air to strike him. Frodo cried out in pain, and Eadlyn’s heart felt like it was being ripped out of her chest, she managed to plunged her sword into the witch kinds shoulder it went all the way through. Another Nazgul slashed Eadlyn with his scythe. She cried out louder as she was sucked out of the shadow realm, somehow Frodo found it within himself to pull off the ring. He cried out again “Frodo!” Sam called holding his friend. “oh Sam” Frodo managed to say looking at Sam and then to the battle. Eadlyn whipped around the slashed at the Nazgul that cut her, but her eyes were set on the witch king. She ran at him, as Strider cut down the one behind her. Eadlyn and the Nazgul’s sword clashed each one tried to fight the other off. Tear burned in The she rangers eyes “you..you bastard!” she barked Pulling back her sword she tried cut him but he blocked her and laughed hauntingly. Another Nazgul came from behind her and rammed his sword through her side. Strider saw this and kicked him away from her, using fire to keep them back. Eadlyn pulled back her swords and drove them both into the witch king chest where his heart would have been, but to her dismay he only cried out pulled the swords out and fled, with the others, Eadlyn grabbed her heart and pain seared thought it. She wanted to fall to her knees but she couldn’t.

She ran to Frodo’s side, lifting his body up in her arms. “Fr-Frodo!” She called through her pain. “help strider! Strider!” Sam called. Eadlyn’s hand trembled as she ran it through the hobbits hair, “I-I I’m sorry…I’m sorry” she stammered her eyes danced around franticly. Strider cam over quickly and kneeled next to them he watched her utterly stunned at her reaction before picking up the broken blade that lay next to them. "He's been stabbed by a Morgul blade.” Strider said dryly and the blade turned to dust in his hand. Eadlyn shook her head, she knew what it was like to be stabbed by the blade all too well, she knew the fate of the victim. “I’m sorry” she whispered. Frodo looked at her gasping from the pain; the sounds he was making became more and more like that of the Nazgul, whines, screeches. "This is beyond my skill to heal. He needs Elvish medicine." Strider said urgently Strider went to take Frodo from Eadlyn but she growled from deep within her throat, he back up startled. She gathered Frodo up in her arms carrying him like that of a bride in her arms. She looked up at Strider and nodded telling him to lead the way. “hurry!” Strider called as the Nazgul’s screams where heard again, the group proceeded to leave Amon Sûl. "We're six days from Rivendell. He'll never make it!" Sam called out, Eadlyn never took her eyes off of Frodo, she knew he was in the Shadow realm and she knew he was seeing things that the other could not. “Gandalf” he called faintly “hold on Frodo” Strider said to him before walking ahead of them all. “Gandalf!” he cried louder seeing a vision. Tears feel from Eadlyn’s eyes as she entered the Shadow realm with him.

Strider grabbed her shoulders and pulled her out of it “that’s not going to help him..I need you here” He ordered. Eadlyn looked at the ranger stunned, but he looked at her just the same, as tears streamed down her face. He recoiled from her, looking her up and down. “you feel?” he asked shocked. “ I am not” Eadlyn said he voice quivering as she putting heavy emphasis the word Not “ I am Not what you think I am” she started through gritted teeth. Sam watched them with worry as they kept walking, as blood poured down Eadlyn’s back and side, she was living a thin stream of blood behind her on the ground as she walked.