Status: Book 1 Complete! Second addition started!

Nothing Personal

Old Faces; Old Feelings

Ring! Ring! Ring!

Madison jolted up from slumber, throwing off her sheets as she stumbled out of bed to get her phone on the desk. She looked down angrily at her screen, wondering who the hell was crazy enough to be calling her this late. Suddenly her eyes softened as she recognized Tabitha's picture on her screen, knitting her eyebrows in confusion.

"Hello?" She answered immediately.

Something was terribly wrong, she knew by Tabitha's low tone. "Madison, can you pick me up please? I-I—I just need somewhere to stay for a while. It's just temporary I promise."

"What are you talking about?" Madison asked, concerned.

"Can we talk about it later?" Tabitha begged.

"You got kicked out, didn't you," Madison suspected. It was a suspicion that had plagued her mind for a while and kept her up most of the night. Tabitha did come home awfully late and she had been hinting at her dad's growing agitation. "And right after Todd's funeral," she murmured to herself, in disbelief at the timing. "That's not right," she spoke louder to console her Beta.

"I know it isn't but I'm not going to argue about it with him. The family made the decision and I'm not going to appeal it. It's too much effort. Half of them hate me already," Tabitha said on the other line. Her voice broke and she struggled to suppress a sob. Madison could hear that much.

"What? Why?" Madison demanded. She was angry and upset for Tabitha's well-being. She wanted nothing more than to maul Richard for disowning his only daughter who she knew very well looked up to him. Tabitha respected him more than anything and like any subservient daughter, let him do as he pleased with no questions or objection. It infuriated Madison. She saw it as an abuse of power.

"We'll talk about it later," Tabitha said. This time it was a statement, not a question.

"Okay," Madison complied, understanding Tabitha's delicate psyche. "I'll pick you up. I can leave right now."

"Thank you."

With a click of the line, Madison hurried to slide on jeans and a jacket over her scanty tank top. She shoved the iPhone in her back pocket and hurried out the door, keys in hand, ready to leave. As she backed out of the driveway, a movement caught her eye and she turned her head to look towards her passenger side but saw nothing. Unnerved and caught off guard, she paused, turning down her headlights to catch any abnormal eyes and much to her relief, saw no red beams staring back at her through the darkness. She then proceeded to back out and accelerate down the uninhabited street, zooming past the flamboyant, arrogant, and blackened mansions.

Tabitha tossed her phone aside, too, as she continued to pack her measly duffle bag. She would return later, tomorrow most likely, given 3 days to pack what she needed and get the hell out of there and she wanted it done soon as possible so she wouldn't have to face her father again.

She sniffled, wiping her nose with her arm and wiping away her tears off her cheeks with her fingers. She didn't want to cry but it was hard not to. Her father was angry, so was Tom, and so was Trent. Her mother sat on the sidelines as Tabitha was berated, interrogated, and insulted on every level. Richard had been so infuriated with her lack of response he gave up and pointed to her room.

"I don't want to see you anymore," he blatantly told her. "You're good as dead to me now." That was the crack in her floodgates. Without a word, she went to her room to start packing. That's how she ended up there.

They asked so many questions, all of them she couldn't answer. Why were you late? Where were you? What were you doing? Did you have anything to do with Tom's death? What do you know? You know something! (Well that was more of an accusation.) It didn't help she was exhausted from burying a body –no, two bodies –that she had killed with his gun. She couldn't admit that without anticipating the needling in her arm. She could face her dad angry and frustrated but she couldn't swallow it if he was disappointed. She'd rather him believe her as a delinquent than a murderer.

In the distance she heard the sound of crushed gravel under ties from her opened window and knew that Madison was here. She finished up her bag, stuffing her last pair of shorts inside, before zipping it up. Her hand levitated over the knob though as her eyes drifted back to her desk. It was a simple one-drawer desk, slim and slender but sturdy. She eyed the key-locked drawer. Should she take it? Would Dad notice? She thought. I mean, I carry one all the time…I wouldn't see why he wouldn't mind. He still loves me…he has to! He wouldn't want me to end up like Todd, no matter how angry he is. Just take it, Tabs. Just take it.

She stepped to it quickly, pulling out the unlocked drawer and grabbing her gun, stuffing the empty revolver in her jeans and hiding it under the cover of her jacket and along with it, a small cartridge of .45. She hid it in the front pocket of her Adidas bag.

You should probably take a rifle too. The one Todd bought you for your sixteenth birthday. It's the only one you have the rights to. Dad won't let you take any of the others.

She briskly walked passed her family in the kitchen, refusing to make eye contact but didn't miss Richard lifting head to get the last glimpse of his daughter. Tori got up, the legs of her chair scratching against the tile but it was too late as Tabitha slammed the door behind her.

Tyler was the only one absent one from the round table. He had left the "family meeting" in frustration, upset at the bias decision based solely on Trent's testimony. It wasn't just because he held his younger brother in contempt or that he favored his sister, he was pretty neutral on the matter actually, but simply because he could see Tabitha wasn't given a fair chance. It was obvious –in his eyes –something was awry, she was distressed, tired, and exhausted. Something wasn't right. He couldn't understand why no else saw that.

"Dad, do something," Tyler tried to urge his dad after his fateful decision only minutes before. "Don't just kick her out. There's more to the story than she's telling us! She's scared, don't you see that?"

"Then she should've told us," Richard stood firm. "She had her chance and now she'll suffer the consequences. We don't keep secrets in this family. If she can't trust us with her second life, we can't trust her and therefore she is no longer family."

"She is your only daughter!" Tyler pointed, scowling at Richard's stubbornness. Tori's lips curled, trembling as the fact hit home hard. Tom and Trent glared at him, upset he was trying to reverse the situation. "And you two ought to be ashamed of yourselves, rushing into a decision simply based on speculation! You have no evidence, no support, except for hearsay!"

"Hearsay," Trent repeated with wide eyes, outraged. "She said it herself, 'I don't want you to end up like Todd.' She knows something!"

"And we kick her out because she's too scared to talk?" Tyler incredulously asked, not understanding the logic.

"Stop putting words in our mouths," Tom snidely remarked, "so you can rest your case council."

Tyler sneered at his older brother. There was a reason he liked Todd better than Tom, a very significant reason. Todd was understanding, considerate, genuine, not snarky or selfish like his egotistical counterpart. Rarely did Todd ever use sarcasm and when he did, it was out a light humor, not to taunt someone. Frustrated at his family, he threw his hands up in defeat with a heavy sigh.

"I can't believe how cut throat this family is," he sneered at all of them, even at his mom who was too meek to object to anything although she looked pretty torn up about the decision. "How you can let your husband, sorry soon-to-be-ex-husband still make the decisions, especially when he just ousted your only daughter? I can't describe how wrong that is, how betrayed Marcy must feel by you for not sticking up for her, even when she stood by your side after you were discharged. She bent to your every whim, going out of her way to make you feel comfortable, and you can't give the same courtesy? You fed her to wolves after she pretty much saved you from a few! Was it worth the sacrifice mom?"

"You do not talk to your ailing mother that way!" Richard objected, standing up, shoving the chair aside.

Tyler wasn't done though, as his blood just began to boil. "And you," he accused his father, "you are God damn shark, rather you disown your own daughter to pressure her to talk when most likely some other force is intimidating to keep her mouth shut. That's really good work, dad," he sarcastically retorted. "You just exiled her. She's defenseless now because you can't handle a delicate situation, not can you Colonel?"

His brothers gasped as they stared incredulously at Tyler, awed that he would use Richard's proud title in such a disrespectful manor. Richard was flabbergasted by his audacity, stunned. He was paralyzed in his stance, not sure how to proceed.

"She looked up to you, Dad," Tyler kept firm. "You broke her heart when you told her she was dead you. She failed you and with that piled on top of the shit already weighing her down, she's officially shattered. Good going."

"And Trent," Tyler redirected, "she wants nothing more but to protect you. You're her little brother, her baby brother. I can't believe you turned on her."

"I don't owe her anything," Trent objected.

"You owe her everything," Tyler hissed. "She tried to set an example, take you under her wing, because you were the youngest and while Tom and I gave you shit on a daily basis, she has the compassion to comfort you when you just wanted to break down in the corner. When mom and dad announced they were separating, who was there who offered to take you to the ocean? Not me and certainly not Tom. It was Marcy. She loves you and you really disappointed her. I hope you're proud of yourself."

Trent tried to look unmoved but anyone could see the guilt weigh him down as he sunk into his chair. His eyes sank to the floor where he stared down his shoes, unable to look his older brother in the eye. But the past is the past and what is done is done, I can't change it, he justified.

"I hope you're all happy now," Tyler concluded, grabbing his leather jacket off his chair, shrugging it on as he prepared to leave, "as you could have just signed Tabitha's death certificate." He heaved. "I don't know about you but I'm not quite ready to attend another funeral. I don't think I can handle it." Just as he was about to depart, he stopped under the archway of the kitchen and glanced back at them. This time his eyes were solemn, sad, and gloomy, wet with moisture. "I guess Todd was the glue of this family. Now that he's gone, we're falling apart. Is this the way he wanted us to be? Divided? Isolated? Do you think he wanted his favorite sister exiled? She loved him, too, a lot, probably a lot more than we did. They were closer, really close, and she took his death hardest than the rest of us. She held his corpse in her hands until the EMTs had to pry her off. She was willing to hold onto a corpse because she couldn't imagine him gone but that was the only thing left of him. Think about that for a while. Do you think Tabitha wanted to endanger him? She adored him. She looked up to him. She would die before letting anything happen to him on her watch."

And that's what he was concerned about. Whatever she was involved in, whatever that got Todd killed, he was as sure as the sky was blue she was angry inside, angry enough to look for retribution. He was weary about it. He didn't want her to be put in danger's way.

"You two may not be good brothers," Tyler directed at Tom and Trent, "but I am. I'll make sure she's okay." He took his hand off the wall and left the room, deciding he'd adopt Todd's role as Tabitha's protector. Todd wouldn't want Tabitha to get hurt, not at all. Todd put his legacy into his baby sister, his love of soccer and his love of horses or just compassion for all animals in general. He'd hate for her to be alone in her time of need or do something reckless that would get her buried, too.

He waited outside for her and after fifteen minutes in the bitter cold, Tabitha popped out hastily. He was about to call to her from his shadowed shelter but when he noticed how she was heading to the garage instead of towards the bright head beam charging forwards the house. Curious, he followed closely, not going into the garage when she sneaked in, afraid of startling her. From a corner, he watched as she snatched her favorite Remington pump action off the peg wall, check if it was loaded, and stole some .22 short bullets as well as long ones.

She stuffed them in her jacket pockets while attaching a sling onto the rifle and hung around her shoulders. She stopped short as she spotted Tyler's lurking form outside.

"What do you want?" She addressed him coldly even though her memory served her as a neutral party in her vile interrogation.

He looked down at her gun. "Will that protect you from whatever you're afraid of?" He asked genuinely.

She was hesitant to answer but found no other acceptable answer than the truthful one. "I really hope so." The magnum sure did but she knew it wasn't hers to take and she also knew she could better handle her colt, too.

"Why don't you call the police?" Tyler asked.

"I can't call the police for this, it's….complicated."

She was surprised by his understanding. She didn't expect that from Tyler. He was usually indifferent towards her and yet here he was, the only one truly getting it, or somewhat. He had suspicions close to the target but she didn't have time to open up to him despite wanting to. She was tired of holding it in but she knew it wasn't rational to lay that on Tyler.

"Do you need help?" Tyler offered. She shook her head.

"You can't help," she declined. She reached forward and laid her hand on his shoulder, staring intently in his eyes. "Not that I don't want you to because honestly, I do, I want you to know everything but it's my job as family to protect you. If I told you everything, you could get killed and I won't let that happen." Subconsciously, she traced the outline of her rifle with her fingers, soothed by the trigger knowing she could end it all with a bullet before any harm ever reached

"Is that why Todd is dead, because he knew something that he shouldn't?" Tyler guessed.

She shook her head. "Todd's death was a surprise. I didn't think they knew about him or that they'd go after him. It was at random. It was a message to me and it's a message I got crystal clear."

"What message? Who are they?" Tyler shot off.

"That they are capable to hurting me, just like they want to. And I can't further elaborate anything else without putting you in grave danger. Please, trust me on this. There are other factors, other people, who would be just as pissed if you got into this." Like Madison, she thought. She didn't think Madison would even considerate but she wouldn't risk marking Tyler a target in Madison's no witness policy.

"What can you tell me?" Tyler begged, sharing a silent connection with his sister. Out of the Reed siblings, he and Tabitha shared the most physical similarities. Same eyes, same hair tone, and same skin complexion. The only difference was he towered over her by a couple inches, inheriting Tori's height.

I don't want to put him in danger. She contemplated silently, dropping her gaze. But…She thought slyly. She might as well give him a bone. She raised her head, revealing stunning gold eyes. He gasped, stunned and in disbelief.

"I can't tell you anything else," she said cryptically but Tyler was hypnotized by her eyes. They were majestic and regal, like a lion's, but different. He couldn't place it. "This is out of your league Tyler." She embraced him in a possessive hug, holding him dear as her last family connection she had. It was then the news sunk in and she felt like she'd cry at any given moment. "Stay safe, please, and protect everyone else. Guard them with your life like Todd defended mom. I would do it myself but…" You saw how that worked out, she mentally finished.

As if he could read her mind, he nodded solemnly as he hugged her close.

"I promise Marcy."

"And you need to know," she whispered close to his ear, "that you have to shoot. Don't be scared to pull the trigger. They have no problem killing you. It's what they do. To protect everyone, you need to shoot. Do not hesitate. Do what Dad taught you. Trust your judgment and never second guess anything."

He nodded again.

"I love you Tyler and if you ever feel scared or over matched, just call me and I'll be over as soon as I can. This is my fight to fight and I'll be damned if you get stuck in the middle of it."

She quickly pulled away to meet Madison, scurrying to close the door behind her after tossing her gun and duffle bag into the backseat. Madison looked over to Tabitha who stared directly ahead, avoiding Madison's interrogating eyes so she wouldn't detect anything. Madison mistook Tabitha's strange behavior as fatigue and a coping mechanism and let it slide, turning her attention to the darkened road as she backed out and turned around to face the road.

Tabitha bit her house one last look even though she would most likely return in the morning for the rest of her clothes that she knew Tori would take it upon herself to pack. She still felt bitter and angry about it, upset that her family had ganged up on her –aside from Tyler –and extremely depressed that she felt she had disappointed them, too, all because she tried to protect them the best way she knew. It was too late though and she knew Tyler would have to take over.

The house disappeared quickly in night, with just a dim light from the outdoor security lights outside of the garage. As Madison turned onto the main road, Tabitha let out a weak sob as she realized she no longer had a home she was welcomed to.

I'll say goodbye to Callie tomorrow, she said, and Clover, too. Oh Clover, her lips curled into a sour face as she transitioned into a mess. She pictured her dopey Lab jumping all over her. She would miss Clover dearly. She imagined Clover whining, wanting her favorite girl to come home from school and play fetch with her before going to the pasture to graze with the cows or into the woods from family hunting trips. What would happen to Callie with no one to ride her anymore? Gone like the rest of the horses, Tabitha realize as she let out another horrific cry. With no use, Callie would be euthanized. Callie didn't deserve that. She trembled at the thought of her favorite animals suffering. They didn't deserve it.

Madison wanted to comfort Tabitha but knew better than to threaten both of them by being distracted. She was disturbed though and felt her own heart ache. She never saw this side of Tabitha before. Tabitha was always so closed off and rugged, never emotional –except for the times she was angry. She was beyond repair now though and Madison felt ashamed she had brought this to Tabitha. She didn't ask to become a werewolf or adopt this life of secrecy. She tried to cope the best way she could but it clashed with her life, her family, and she paid the ultimate price.

It didn't take long for an exhausted Tabitha to pass out in the guest room. Tenderly Madison tucked her in, wiping a strand of hair away from her face before departing, closing the door behind her.

"So is she staying permanently?" Frank asked quietly behind her. Madison nodded. "That's fine by me. I like her. She's a sweet girl. What about her school?"

"I don't think she can handle private school anymore, especially with her brothers exiling her and her father refusing to even acknowledge her….Do you really think he'd still be the-forty-thousand tuition for a daughter he disowned? I don't think so. It's also humiliating if she continues to go there and everyone finds out she's been kicked out."

"It isn't our call to make, Maddy," Frank realized what she was trying to do but she pulled out her bottom lip, begging him.

"Please daddy, just call him and ask him to fill out some transfer papers. He'd be happy to pass over his duties, please," Madison pleaded. Frank sighed in defeat.

"Don't make assumptions," Frank warned with dark eyes, "but I know education is important and I don't want Tabitha to miss it for so long so I will call Mr. Reed tomorrow and talk about the paper work. We still have to establish if he still wants for guardianship and this is solely temporarily or he wants to grant guardianship to us. Don't get too excited, Mads," he cut in, noticing a sparkle in her bright eyes. "Just get to sleep and make sure your friend is okay. Are you two still going back tomorrow to get the rest of her stuff?" Madison nodded. "Okay, Goodnight honey."

Frank kissed Madison goodnight and headed to bed where Trevor was snoring lightly in. Madison returned to her bed with a grin on her face. Even though she knew it was horrible news, she was glad she could have Tabitha all to herself now. Yeah, it was selfish, she admitted that, but it was also convenient. Tabitha was finally available to her at all times. With her attending the school now, too, she could have eyes on all ends. She was sure Lucas, Alex, and Cecelia could handle being by themselves with Devon to take command as her runner-up and watch over them at St. Catherine's and St. Paul's. Sure he was a little scrawny but he possessed natural leadership she could finally utilize.

She drifted off the sleep content, clutching her pillow as she imagined her next step in her plan.

The Next Morning

The pit in her stomach bothered Tabitha as she rode with Madison to the Reed Ranch in the early morning. She was jittery and anxious, shaking in her seat while Madison was cool and calm behind the wheel. She tried to relay much on that day, only focusing on the boxes piled in her room next to her now vacant closet. Richard was observing from a distance, awkward about how Tabitha would greet him.

What Tyler had said had bothered and he hadn't gotten a wink of sleep from it and it showed on his pale face and dark bags under his bloodshot eyes. If someone had gotten close to him, they would scrunch their nose in disgust due to his stench reeking of vodka. Tori had left him alone to help her daughter move boxes to her Ford Escape.

"I talked to your father and although he isn't keen on the idea on you coming in," Tori explained. Tabitha rolled her eyes. Tori basically meant he was still as stubborn as ever, "he still cares deeply about you and wants you to keep your car, to be safe."

"Can you ask him to keep Callie? I don't want her put down," Tabitha begged. "It's not too much to ask, I promise after I'm 18 I'll buy her from him, but she shouldn't die!"

"I'll take care of her personally," Tori promised, embracing her daughter. Tabitha hugged her tightly, grateful.

"Thank you so much mom," she murmured in her mother's chest. Tori rubbed her back soothingly. "Don't forget Clover, she needs love, too."

"It's what I'm supposed to do as a mom," Tori told her. Suddenly she grinned down at her daughter as she delivered more good news. "I also compromised with your father that you can keep Clover. You raised her, you trained her, and she deserves to be with you. That's why we let you keep the car, too, to fit her in the back on your way to Madison's."

Tabitha was speechless and could only hug her tighter to show her appreciation.

"You can keep your phone, too," Tori also said. "Since I pay for it, he doesn't. Just keep it on you at all times, please, and be safe, okay?" Tori asked for. Tabitha nodded.

"Hey sis," Tyler interrupted, sliding a box into the back seat. "You're not going to forget to give me a hug, too, aren't you?" Tabitha grinned at him and opened her arms to welcome him into a hug. He embraced her and picked her up, squeezing her tight. She squealed and begged him to put her down so she could breathe right.

Tori had drifted off into the middle of Madison's BMW and Tabitha's Ford, eyeing Madison strangely.

"I'm going to find Clover," Tabitha announced, "I'll be right back." Tori nodded as Tabitha ran off towards the kennels.

"Aubrey," Tori demanded, startling Madison who had finished stuffing some show boxes into her trunk. Madison looked up, confused by Tori's sudden change of expression. One second she looks heart-stricken at the thought of her baby leaving and then suddenly changed to a fierce one as soon as she spotted Madison. "Frank called and offered to send papers to get her transferred to a public school," Madison wasn't quite sure but she swore she heard a bit of disdain when Tori pronounced 'public.' "Richard is all for it but I want you to do me a favor. Watch her back, make sure you help her around, and don't let her stray to a bad group of friends. That's all I ask."

Miles apart, Tori was no longer able to protect her baby and neither were her brothers but she swore Tabitha would be guarded and have her best interest looked after, so she looked upon Madison for that guidance. Madison nodded her furiously, understanding Tori's dilemma.

"I wouldn't have it any other way," Madison consoled. She didn't feel right though as she swore the brunette was a little more apprehensive than usual, like she was scared, but not of the distance. "Mrs. Reed, is there…something bothering you?"

Tori shook her head too quickly, too rashly for Madison to believe and she immediately narrowed her eyes at the possibility Tori was hiding something, something crucial. "It's just my nerves," Tori excused, "that's all. You continue packing and drive safe on your way home. Thank Trevor and Frank for their gracious hospitality and taking my daughter in, too, and tell them I really appreciate them looking out for her," she said curtly before leaving Madison. The blonde was bothered by something but she couldn't pinpoint what had disturbed her about Tori's behavior.

"Come on Clover," she heard Tabitha call from a distance, followed by excited yips and thundering barks. Madison saw Tabitha come forward from the sheds behind the garage with a large yellow beast in tow, secured by a bright red leash. "Come on, girl, it's time to go to your new home."

Madison shook her head. Tabitha hadn't even asked her if she could bring a dog to her house but she knew Tabitha loved that dog and didn't have the heart to tell her know. She would just warn her to ask first before bringing anything else inside her home when they finally settled down, she reminded herself.

"I'll see you at my place," Madison announced as she closed the trunk. Tabitha nodded as the popped hers open. Clover knew exactly what to do and leapt in the back, laying down in the shade provided by the trunk door, blocking the merciless sun's rays.

"Good girl," Tabitha cooed to the lab, stroking her softly before shutting the trunk, propping the back window enough to get air in without disrupting the air conditioning or risking Clover to jump out. Keys in hand, she slid into the driver's seat and glanced at the backseat. She only brought her clothes and her tennis equipment –just a couple of rackets, a basket of balls, and protective racket cover slip. The rest of her room's inhabitants weren't hers to call or keep. That was fine with her though. She was happy with just her clothes and basic electronics.

Bidding one last look, she left without another word, still bitter towards the rest of her male half of her family. Her father had been too much of a coward to at least say "be safe" like her mother did and Trent sulked like a baby instead of admitting he caused her exile, too prideful to admit maybe he acted too rashly, and Tom –well Tom was Tom –and the bastard glared at her relentlessly when he could until she got tired of it and punched him in the face that made him disappear for the rest of her short visit. She was sure it would leave a nasty bruise, too, she thought with a delish grin.

Madison helped with her vast collection of sport shoes –her honored supply of Nikes and colorful Adidas, as well as smuggling some extra bullets, too. Tabitha didn't feel comfortable with the amount she accumulated the night she was kicked out. It wasn't a safe amount to work with.

Later That Day…

"What do you think?" Frank asked Trevor, holding up two color samples in his hand. "Tabitha said she's a red fan but I'm not sure if that would work. Maybe we could add red as an accent, like, with bedding or a rug, but then, what should the color of the wall be? I can't leave it white –it'll be too plain –and I don't know what other color would be subtle enough…"

"She likes yellow, too, you ought to know," Trevor suggested. Frank widened his eyes.

"No one told me she liked yellow! Did she tell you she liked yellow?"

Trevor nodded. "It was a few months ago when she slept over, she complimented our living room scheme and we got into a small conversation about colors. She likes vibrant colors, bright, vivid colors, like yellows and reds. She wouldn't mind if you painted her room yellow."

The guest room had officially been deemed Tabitha's room. Frank was suddenly ecstatic at the thought of having another girl in the house, another daughter, another project. His excitement began slowly after her had gotten off the phone with a curt Richard that morning. He then started to interrogate Tabitha on all her likes and dislikes as they prepared to make her as comfortable as can be.

"I'm going to ask her myself, just to make sure," Frank insisted. He spotted Madison and Tabitha down the aisle, staring up at a bed display.

"I like the sheets," Tabitha approved, tracing the outline of the classic colored flowers printed on the comforter.

"Really," Madison asked incredulously, "I didn't take you as girly." In fact, the flower print theme was something she liked. Madison was surprised by Tabitha's admission due to the belief that the two girls were very different.

"Tabi," Frank interrupted, "do you like the color yellow as a wall color?"

Tabitha nodded absently, not realizing he meant for her room.

"Thanks!" Frank said, a new idea bursting in his head. He rushed back to Trevor, boasting about how 'this was the theme!' or 'It's going to look amazing!'

The Next Night

"So what about a party," Tabitha asked from her new bed. The soft mattress sunk under her weight, just like she liked it. She realized the significant difference to her cheap, spring mattress back at dad's compared to her new one and sighed in content, falling back into her black ruffled pillows Madison had insisted on for decoration.

Madison had walked into Tabitha's room only minutes before, cell phone in hand, to gaze at her handy work. She had grinned contently, amazed at the feminine feel of the small space. She didn't expect Tabitha to like something of that nature. The room was bright and artistic, with classic black-and-white accessories and furnishings, like the sleek black polished desk, black poster bed, and black curtains, alongside its contrasting counterparts like white carpet and similar flower printed white sheets. All-in-all it was a beautiful room.

Madison looked down at her iPhone, the message still on her screen. "Yeah, Scott asked me to come to a party Lydia is hosting." Then she did an uncharacteristically thing. "Let's go! I mean, it's Spring Break and it's a good way for you to come out to the school like 'Hey! Here I am!' You know what I mean? Here," Madison insisted, going to Tabitha's fully stocked closet and racketing through the different outfits. Suddenly her smile dropped. "Damn, don't you own any dresses?" She asked incredulously. She sighed. "I'll be back. I'll let you borrow one of mine."

Tabitha rolled her eyes but said nothing as Madison briskly left her room. "Way to let me get a word in," she whispered to herself. She didn't mind going to a party but she would've appreciated if Madison had asked her first instead of assuming she'll go with whatever Madison plans like some little lapdog. Just because she's an Alpha doesn't mean she can abuse her power. Drop the attitude, she reminded herself. Madison was generous enough to open her home to you. Don't get resentful now.

"I think this is definitely you," Madison came back with a little black bundle in her hands. She shook it out, smoothing it and held it out for display. Tabitha eyed it wearily, already hesitant of the short length of the skirt. "I know you don't like short dresses but it ought to be considered a felony not to embrace your killer legs."

"And I know you hate strapless," Madison remembered. "So this ought to work," she said, fingering the medium width straps.

Overall the dress had a lot going on, layer after layer of decorative, vertical designs but Tabitha liked the single, solid color. It was a perfect balance. It reminded her of a flapper dress. Simple shape but tons of eye catching movement, too. She took the dress from Madison and held it to her body in front of a mirror posted on the door.

"It's pretty," she admitted before slipping it on. The skirt of the dress skimmed her thighs, barely protecting her rear but Madison ignored Tabitha's discomfort as she nodded approvingly the sight of her beautiful friend.

"Now I'll I have to get are the matching heels and you're set," Madison bid, leaving Tabitha alone again to steam silently. Heels, she thought with dread. Does she want me to embarrass myself at the party?

Madison –classy as usual –dressed appropriately in her trademark fashion in a vibrant red halter top dress, with crisscrossing thick bands supporting her top while the skirt flowed freely over her knees. Her hair fall over her shoulder in golden waves carelessly while she dabbed only minimal amount of lipstick that matched the same intensity of her dress. The brightness of her summer dress contrasts against the dramatic focus of her face, making a stunning combination. Glossy pair of bold, black flats adorned her feet. She wore them for a specific reason. They were practical and efficient. She would never be caught off guard in a disabling pair of pumps or heels. She was always prepared.

It was this reasoning Tabitha stole as she debated the dangerous looking pumps Madison had suggested for her to wear. Bitterly agreeing, Madison lent her a pair of her second favorite flats, much to Tabitha's relief.

"I think we spent enough time messing around," Madison announced as she finished curling the last length of Tabitha's hair. "You look gorgeous as usual, now let's go."

Tabitha was awkward an uncomfortable, not used to being in that image. She rarely wore a dress –especially one that short –and wasn't used to spending half an hour on her hair. For a moment she was distracted by how it bounced on her half-bare shoulders. Madison on the other hand admired it, on how Tabitha pulled off the look fairly well. Tabitha patted her head, grimacing at how sticky and firm is felt, not smooth at all. One of the reason she disliked hairspray.

The drive was short and quiet, with the radio humming in the background until Madison cut it off as they parked off side the road. Tabitha looked at the hordes of people packing into the brick mansion while Madison eyed them suspiciously.

"Why are you so hesitant?" Tabitha demanded, irritated that she made her go through every imaginable female torture and suddenly wants to head back.

Madison shook her head. "I'm not weary of the party but the timing. I can't believe I didn't realize this before. Why would Scott be at a party during the full moon?" He wasn't as refined as she was or as in control. Was he that careless that he would endanger humans with his second nature and expose everyone else involved? She growled at his naivety. "The child is going to expose us. I better stop him."

"But he doesn't know you're the Alpha," Tabitha objected.

"What does that have to do with anything? I can be sly without exposing myself. You have so little faith in me," Madison taunted with a grin. Tabitha felt unnerved by her Alpha's light manor. It was very unusual for her.

"I think the full moon affects you very differently than most," Tabitha murmured to herself, watching Madison attentively as the rounded the hood, after she closed the door behind her. Tabitha followed, awkward and hesitant to proceed as she eyed another group rush to the front door.

"Haven't you been to parties before?" Madison teased as she hooked Tabitha's arm with her own. Tabitha glared at her.

"Have you?" She retorted. Madison just raised an eyebrow, amused. Tabitha on the other hand was sincere when she asked it, wondering if the ever-serious Madison ever really, truly enjoyed easing back and socializing.

"Not really," Madison replied honest, shrugging, excluding the dinner parties and business events she trailed to with her fathers. "I just had no one to really enjoy it with me," and then she shot Tabitha a genuine smile.

Tabitha was flabbergasted by Madison's unintended revelation. She understood Madison rarely hung out with ordinary humans but she didn't think she was solitary. This new information stunned her. Had Madison just admitted she was lonely? Tabitha pursed her lips as she analyzed her Alpha's distant expression. She began to feel sorry for her friend.

Minutes later, Tabitha sighed, dismayed, as she secluded herself in a corner on a chair, smiling occasionally at bystanders who were captivated by her face but her cold-shoulder scared them off. She kept looking for a familiar face but found none and sunk deeper into the cushion of the antique chair.

"Stiles," Scott alerted his friend, startling him.

"What," Stiles hissed. He was pissed his friend made him spill his drink over his shirt. He looked up from his wet collar to Scott's fierce gaze and turned around to see what he was staring at and his own honey brown widened when she realized who was sitting across the room.

"That can't be…"

"Tabitha?" Scott finished. "What is she doing here?"

Stile stuttered, unsure himself. Scott set down his drink on a table and made his way through to crowd to get a better look. Stiles followed hastily.

In the kitchen, Lydia eyed Madison behind her glass doors, watching the bubbly blond sneak a glare at Allison. She didn't know what Madison had against Allison. She didn't mean to intend her friend but Madison had a couple more points on the brunette on the attractive scale.

The strawberry blond made a bold move and confronted Madison, surprising her but Madison kept a cool façade, keeping a small smile on her face to keep a friendly demeanor.

"Aubrey," Lydia greeted brightly, "what a wonderful surprise! I didn't expect you to come here."

Madison smiled back but Lydia could see it was strained as Madison's dull blue eyes wandered back to Allison who was being followed by Matt back inside the house.

"Did you come with here with someone?" Lydia tried to distract her but Madison paid her no attention as she focused on Matt. She had her suspicions on the boy and wasn't too fond on his obsession with Allison. Allison was hers and the last thing she needed was another watchful eye safeguarding her.

"I'll get back to you on that," Madison excused herself. Lydia glared at the blond as she rudely walked away stalking Matt from a few yards away. She kept her distance as she blended with the other part guest. A boy made the mistake of rubbing up against her and learned his lesson after Madison retaliated with an extremely painful jab to his groin with her elbow.

Allison suddenly stomped out, as if frightened by something, eyes not capturing Madison's lingering figure outside the doorway, but Madison stayed behind, creeping into the room the pair were talking in.

Matt noticed her black flats first before his bright blue eyes lifted to her bright red skirt of her dress and then to her extraordinary face. He saw her outreach her hand and took it, not processing the fact how effortless she pulled him off the carpet despite her small size.

"Thanks… Aubrey is it?"

Madison smiled, nodding as she took in the young amateur photographer. "I heard you guys fighting…" She had caught the word 'stalker' somewhere in their short conversation. Matt's face fell and he glared at Madison fiercely.

"Ease dropping is very rude," he insinuated, "and you have no idea what's going on."

Madison lifted a brow. "Don't I? I think the whole school can see you're a little too interested in Allison and I believe every word she said. It's very concerning."

"You don't know anything," Matt insisted, stepping forward trying to be intimidating but despite having 5 inches above her, Madison wasn't moved and glared up at him.

"I think you should give her some space," Madison politely offered but when she saw his eyes darkened, so did hers, and her indifferent demeanor changed dramatically. Sneering she dropped her hand from her hip and pushed him back, startling him by her sudden strength. He grabbed a nearby bed post to support himself as he stared at Madison incredulously. "And if you don't, well," Madison sarcastically smiled, "severe consequences will follow. Do not underestimate me, Matt."

They glared at each other for a long moment. "You don't know who you're messing with," he warned gravely with a dark glint in his eyes.

"Neither do you," she stood firm, meeting his gaze.

"I'm a very dangerous person," he persisted, standing tall.

"As am I," she equaled herself.

"I can make very bad things happen and it would be a shame if something happened to you," Matt taunted.

Madison harrumphed. "Trust me, so can I, and the one thing I have over you is experience. So I'll say this again Matt, do not think you have an advantage over me in any way. I am not someone to be taken lightly."

"Why are you so defensive of Allison anyways?" Matt challenged. "Last time I checked, you two haven't even had a conversation. What are you, her protector?"

Madison laughed loudly and grinned, "far from it."

Matt said nothing, confused and puzzled, as Madison bid him one last glare before stalking out. He gulped, trying to figure out who 'Aubrey' really was and what she had planned? She was friendly with Scott…was she working with him? But then she said she wasn't Allison's protector…

What was she?

"She disappeared," Scott argued with Stiles after half an hour. Tabitha had vanished within the crowd much to his frustration.

"Look, it probably wasn't even her," Stiles insisted. "It was most likely a hallucination. We both had them." He doubted it though, as her face was imprinted in his mind.

Scott turned his attention to Jackson who was wandering around. "I'll be back."

Stiles threw his hands up in the air. He was sick of Scott abandoning him as usual. Giving up, he turned to the opposite direction and sat down on the bench, swirling his drink.

"You probably shouldn't drink that," a female voice said beside him. Woozy and disoriented, he looked up but couldn't recognize her face as his sight kept going out of focus. "If you haven't noticed, a lot of people are acting a little bit odd and I have a strong suspicion it's because of those drinks."

He narrowed his eyes on her face, trying to focus but she kept blurring so he focused on her voice.

"You remind me of a girl I know," he admitted. "Your voice is exactly the same."

She laughed. "If you can't tell it's me then you must be really drunk."

As Madison descended down the stairs, she caught Lydia's lingering figure waiting on the bottom step. Annoyed, she didn't even bother to smile. "Lydia," she curtly acknowledge just as she passed her, roughly shoving shoulders.

"Madison," Lydia snared. Madison froze in her step.

"What did you call me?" She asked harshly.

"You heard me, Mads."

She glared at Lydia, not hesitating to take her arm to drag her somewhere private. Lydia didn't fight back as she felt herself being dragged to the kitchen.

"How did you know that?" She snarled, growling at Lydia as her eyes burned brightly red. Lydia tried to hide her fear but Madison could tell from her rapid heartbeat that Lydia was terrified.

"Peter told me."

"Peter?" Madison demanded. "That's impossible. Peter is dead. Now you're going to tell me how you know my name."

"Not for long," Lydia confided.

"Not for long what," Madison interrupted.

"Peter. He won't be dead for long," Lydia correct herself.

"What do you mean," Madison further interrogated.

"It's a lot to explain but I've been seeing him…in public, in visions, and he tells me stuff, things…instructions. He told me about you, about how you'd take his place…" Lydia struggled for breath as Madison gripped her neck tighter, cutting off her air supply significantly. "He needs you," Lydia whispered hoarsely, barely coherent. "I need you to help me," she struggled for breath and clawed at Madison's hands. "Help me bring him Derek."

"Derek?" Madison asked incredulously with weary, disbelieving blue eyes. Lydia nodded as much as she can. "Why would he want Derek?"

"I can't explain anything else. All he told me was that I need to get you to help me retrieve Derek. Derek trusts you. He'll follow you willingly. Please, just trust me," Lydia begged as Madison relieved from of the pressure she applied to her throat. Lydia gasped for air, clutching at her bruised neck.

"Why should I trust you?" Madison questioned, claws extended.

"Because we both have something to lose," Lydia said. "I'll keep your secret, I promise." Madison eyed her intensely, glaring at her. "Peter trusts you. He told me that. He needs you but you couldn't have known that and he used me to deliver that message. I'm just a messenger. Please don't kill me."

Madison rolled her eyes and stepped back, giving Lydia her space as she clutched the granite counter for support. Her legs were still shaky and her heart pounded painfully against her rib cage. She couldn't look Madison in the eyes as she was scared of Madison's true nature –the ruthless, merciless killer Peter was boasted about, his pride and joy, his best student, the clever and cunning young woman, who was not only intelligent but at her physical prime, one who is able to take down a grown Alpha such as his nephew.

"I'm still not sold," Madison told, hesitant to believe her. Lydia sighed. "How do I know you're telling the truth?"

"I don't know!" Lydia cried out. "I don't know how he does it. He bit me a long time ago and since then I've been subjected to these visions and tormented with his nightly visits. I don't know how to explain it!"

Madison tilted her head, surprised how genuinely scared Lydia seemed. She could see in Lydia's bright green eyes she was truly scared but not of Madison but of Peter. Either she was a good actor or she was truly tortured? Lydia mistook Madison's silence as doubt instead of consideration and tried to compromise.

"Just meet me at the Hale house, then, okay? I can do the rest. You need to meet Peter there."

Madison eyed her wearily. Lydia seemed set on this, never falling on her story, truly believing it, and her heart rate supported her credibility but Madison's logical side still argued Peter was beyond revival. She inhaled and exhaled. "All right, when?"

"In an hour," Lydia replied much lighter, relieved.

"I'll see you there."

Madison turned curtly to search for Tabitha, anxious to leave and get ready for this proposed meeting. Lydia grinned while she let out a nervous laugh. She was close to having this all end.

"Tabitha it's time to go," Madison directed after spotting her Beta outside beside the pool. She was a little confused on how Tabitha came to nurse Stiles' passed out form but settled with an odd look, saying nothing else.

"Bye honey," she bid Stiles before leaving him on the pillar. "We're leaving?" Tabitha asked, excited, as they cut through the backyard and turned to the street, hurrying to her BMW. Madison nodded, still distracted by Lydia's revelation. She was torn. She admired Peter –she truly did –but even when he was a live, she was hesitant about his interference. She didn't like sharing her territory with another Alpha. What was he planning? What did he intend to do? She didn't like being uncertain but needed to see for herself.

The ride home passed quickly, as Tabitha –exhausted –almost passed out, in and out of consciousness. She nearly staggered upstairs under Madison's motherly watch to her room where she collapsed in her bed, not bothering to undress. Madison left at the point, speeding to the burnt mansion in the center of the darkened woods where she was met with a puzzling scene.

Lydia had somehow dragged Derek's body to the middle of the floor and glanced at him curiously before turning her gaze to Lydia.

Derek –in a drugged daze –thought he saw Madison but couldn't quite focus on her shadowed figure, only making out bright blond locks and a darkened coat –a pea coat Madison had snatched to protect her body from the cold before she drove out.

Madison looked up at the moon, her dull blue orbs igniting into a passionate red under its intense cover.

"Mads?" Derek meekly asked. "Why are you here?" She didn't answer him, now focused on Lydia who hovered over a mirror.

Lydia waited though as Madison leaned over the broken hole and stared at Peter's pale corpse. She'd seen death but it didn't mean she enjoyed its view. She cringed at the scene and stalked back to the corner.

Within a moment, after Lydia maneuvered the mirrors to reflect the moon's power onto Peter's hibernating corpse, he moved from under the earth, digging his nails into Derek to steal power from his body. Madison stared at the hole, unsure and uncertain of what was happening but from Derek's shrieks, something was happening, something painful. Lydia stood beside her, scared of Peter and clutched the blonde's arm tightly. Sill stunned, Madison made no effort to remove it.

He burst from the earth, dirty with dust and roots, startling Madison who could only stare in disbelief. He turned his head and spotted his favorite disciple. She changed, he thought. Her hair was different but her face was unforgettable, unchanged by time, as her crystal blue eyes bright under the moon still dominated her face.

"Madison," he acknowledged her. "Still radiant as usual," he noted, taking in her attire. "Though, I'm a bit taken by your hair. Why the sudden change? You don't need to tell me now. We still a lot of catching up to do."

Before he passed out, Derek heard snippets of Peter, coming to one conclusion before he faded into darkness. Peter knew Madison. Don't let Peter hurt her… Don't let him…