Status: Book 1 Complete! Second addition started!

Nothing Personal

The 'New' Girl in Town

November, 2011

"Well, Aubrey, I'll be honest. I'm very confused on why you decided to transfer from St. Catherine's Private School to Beacon Hills High School, it seems like a huge downgrade," Principal McKinley questioned with curious green eyes. She diverted her gaze from the thick manila folder to the young woman postured confidently in front of her, legs held together politely under a knee length skirt that flowed elegantly over her flawless porcelain skin. A pastel blue blazer covered the girl's slender arms and was unbuttoned, revealing a bright yellow tank top underneath. Her golden hair cascaded like a waterfall over her slim shoulders and over her breast. The Principal was awed by the girl's elegance and was instantly envious that the much older woman couldn't have inherited that same dainty physique like Aubrey's.

Madison, taken on the name of "Aubrey" as of nine years ago in memory of her mother, shrugged nonchalantly and smiled pleasantly. "The economy hit my uncle hard and we decided there isn't much difference between private and public schooling except for the insane tuition."

Principal McKinley dropped her gaze, visibly embarrassed by her question and mumbled an apology. Madison didn't seem to mind and waved it off. She adjusted her posture and ran her fingers through her hair and immediately thought of her mother with a pitiful expression. She inherited most of her mother's dark looks, including her hair, with exclusion of her exquisite grey-blue eyes that she received from her father's cooler looks. Over the summer though she recently rid herself of the odd contraction and tainted her natural chocolate locks with a bitter blond fix. She had to admit she pulled it off very well and it seemed natural but she missed the connection she had to her mother. It seemed to her that she had erased it.

"Well here are the class selections you chose and I am glad to say you qualify for all these classes. I don't see many students such as you who try to challenge themselves to this extent."

Madison offered a polite smile. "College is very selective and you have to be on top of your game."

Principal McKinley agreed. When she reviewed Aubrey's selections, her penciled-in eyebrows skyrocketed to her graying hairline, amazed by the girl's options, physics, AP English, AP government, and calculus. She doubted that Aubrey could even qualify for half these classes but when she compared transcripts from her old school, and the fact Aubrey maintained a 3.8 GPA. Principal McKinley knew this girl would not settle for anything under perfection.

"I think you and Lydia Martin would be very good friends," McKinley thought out loud. Madison titled her head in mock confusion and hid a small grin, as she was already aware of Lydia Martin. "Ms. Martin is in many of these classes and has an impressive GPA herself. Unfortunately she's in the hospital so she can't guide you around the school however I can easily find someone else." McKinley held up her index finger as she rolled across the room in her chair to fetch the phone. She called a number and briefly spoke to a Mr. Finstock. McKinley nodded her head as Madison tuned into the conversation but pretended to be more interested in her phone, playing nonchalantly on the iPhone. She suppressed a slow grin as another familiar name popped up on the conversation. "Yes, thank you Bobby. Tell them to hurry."

"Well Aubrey, we have two excellent boys coming down to show you around." McKinley didn't mention that they were kicked out of class anyways for talking but Madison knew that already and held back a chuckle. "They'll show you the premises and you can leave on your own accord, seeing as you don't start school until next week." Madison nodded in agreement and kept a strained smile on her face but McKinley didn't know it, assuming Madison's brilliant smile didn't require much effort and was genuine.

It was two minutes later when McKinley's dark eyes lit up as she spotted two figures enter the waiting room. Madison snapped her head as a familiar rustic scent assaulted her nostrils and realized she was detectible to being identified too until she reassured herself the extra amounts of perfume she sprayed on herself this morning would shield her natural scent. The doors were pushed open as two boys around her age peaked in and instantly singled out Madison. She waved in a friendly manor and the boy in the baseball cap blushed while gaping, admiring her from afar, until his partner-in-crime smacked him on the back of the head.

"Stiles," McKinley warned the boy, motioning to his head. "You know the school rules. Take off the hat." Stile scrambled to slide of the baseball cap and held it behind his back while shooting Madison an awkward smile, one she returned with a giggle. McKinley returned her gaze to Madison. "Aubrey, these two gentlemen," McKinley gave him a pointed look, warning them silently, "-will guide you around school. This is Scott," she pushed Scott forward and he gave Madison a puzzled look. She stiffened, wondering how to proceed if he found her out, but he flashed a goofy grin after he fully assessed, showing he held no suspicions which made her want to sigh in relief but she held her breath. "And this is Stiles Stilinski," McKinley pointed to the blushing man who stuttered over a greeting. Scott rolled his eyes and shrugged his shoulders towards Madison as a pathetic apology. She waved it off and pushed herself off the chair and greeted both of them with a firm hand shake and specifically teased Stiles with a brilliant smile and suppressed a chuckle as she watched his face deepen with red. "You behave yourselves, okay? Don't cause any trouble and be easy on Aubrey. We don't want her to get the wrong impression because of you two."

The two boys nodded furiously and all but dragged Aubrey out to the main entry. She chuckled nervously behind them until they formally introduced themselves by the front doors.

"As Principal McKinley already told you, I'm Stiles Stilinski," said the slimmer boy. She nodded in compliance but was already aware of him far before McKinley told her. Peter already described him to her before his passing and she could easily match Peter's description of a slender, buzz-cut, honey-brown eyed boy with Stiles. She was worried with what obstacles he would put out for her, as Peter described him to be especially clever and determined. She had to be guarded around him, especially with his father as the sheriff. "I'm the go-to guy if you need to know the school's status quo." He grinned and hid the urge to sling his arm over her delicate shoulders. Scott shot him a quick look before Madison turned her gaze to the fellow werewolf.

"And I'm Scott McCall," the second boy said. Scott was a little more expressive in his facial features with darker brown eyes than Stile's. His hair was black as night and skimmed his forehead and it reminded her of her mom's Native American heritage. He offered a sweet smile while Stiles eyed her over.

"I'm Aubrey Lundgren," she introduced herself, clasping her hands nervously but it was all an act she had to keep up. The clueless-innocent-new-girl act that she loathed as she struggled hiding her true nature under her thick skin.

"So, where do you come from?" Stiles started off, leading her down the hall. She faithfully followed, matching his quick pace. Scott had her schedule in his hand and pointed to his friend with direction to go for her first class.

"I'm from San Diego but I lived here for a very short period when I was six to seven until my Dad, well Uncle actually, moved closer to the border city for business."

"What does he do?" Scott innocent asked.

"He's a real-estate manager I suppose you can call him. He sells and rents different properties to businesses. He owned about 40% of San Diego indirectly at the time," she explained nonchalantly while the boys stared at her in amazement. It explained her rich attire definitely.

"Why'd you move?" Scott asked again.

"The city was suffocating and he wanted to come back to home roots. I don't remember much of this place and he thought it was a better environment here than it was in San Diego. It was pretty crime infested there."

"Wait, stepping back a second," Stiles interrupted, "you said he was your Uncle. What happened to your parents?" Scott shot him a harsh look but Madison ignored it and decidedly to play polite.

"I don't really remember them," she lied smoothly. "I was told they died in a house fire. I was really little when it happened, four I think. I think I do remember to some extent though, because I am really sensitive to smoke but other than that, it doesn't really affect me. I don't mind. I get people are curious. I am kind of curious myself but there isn't much to go on. It was a freak accident. A gas line broke, the investigator told my Dad –err, Uncle –when he came to pick me up at the police station. The leak ignited with the furnace and boom!"

Stiles gave her a sympathetic look. "I'm sorry Aubrey. If it's any consolation, my mother died, too, but I wasn't that young."

Madison rubbed her hand over his arm soothingly and offered an equally sympathetic smile back. They made a silent connection and an internal struggle lit in her gut as she tried not to grow an attachment toward the young man or feel any sympathy that would halt her mission but it was hard, knowing he suffered the same way she did. Maybe under different circumstances but none the less he was hurt by the loss of a parent, of a mother nonetheless, the most nurturing figure. She could see he wasn't over it, as an emotion glazed over his eyes and she noticed how he quickly tried to put up an emotional wall shielding his true demons.

"How did you survive?"

That stumped her but as always, quick on her feet, her lips shot off another round of lies to cover her ass. "The fire department made a quick response and rescued me from the second story. I was sleeping when it happened. I guess I was a really deep sleeper or I feel unconscious from the fumes. Like I said, I don't know. I can only go by from what my uncle told me."

It was a story that would correlate well if the Sheriff would happen to ask Frank himself, as Madison kept up the clueless act ever since transferring her care to him. She wouldn't speak about the 'incident' and Frank assumed she was traumatized. Over time when he pressed her for details, she would shake her head and act dumb, making him believe she was losing memory over time and she could see how relieved Frank was when he thought she could continue with life without her awful childhood holding her back. Ignorance was bliss, in his case, and she made a damn good effort to keep it that way.

"Frank –my uncle –was the only fatherly figure in my life growing up that I can remember and I know it's wrong for me to call him Dad when I know I had one, a loving one from what Henry tells me but he's the one the taught me how to ride a bike, he gave the birds-and-the-bees talk when the time came, and he taught me how to drive. He was there every step of the way. So, really, he is my dad. Other than Trevor, I mean."

The boys looked confused towards the end of her speech and she giggled. "Frank is gay," she explained. "He met his partner, my second-dad -Trevor –two years after formally adopting me as his own." She laughed at their expressions as they gaped at her in shock. "It's not at all bad. It's pretty cool actually. Frank is nurturing parent, always sensitive and coddling me, while Trevor tends to be the silly one and fooling around with childish jokes and pranks. He's like a brother to me more than a father and I love that about him. Neither are serious at all unless it's about business then they get tenacious. You don't have a problem with gays, do you?" She put them on the spot.

Madison –despite her cold-hearted intentions –truly loved her fathers. It wasn't just the werewolf factor where family was always put on top but also a personal factor, too, as she had no family left and felt Frank (and Trevor) was her only blood connection left. Never mind her killer agenda, she was a devoted daughter that strived to make them proud and she succeeded year after year with her impressive grades. In return, they kept her sane and showered her with love, affection, and fiercely protected her, too, even under the scrutiny of public. She wouldn't give them up for anything.

Stiles and Scott immediately shook their heads furiously, objecting loudly and apology profusely if she had taken it that way and she just laughed back, waving it off. "We actually have a gay friend, Danny. I'm sure you'd love to meet him. He's a really nice guy," Scott explained. Stiles nodded in agreement.

"So now with that covered, let's continue with the tour." She redirected the conversation, motioning with a swift hand wave at Scott to lead her along the vacant hallways.

"One more question," Stiles veered back. Madison lifted a brow, curious and at the same time, scrutinizing under the grey glare. "Do you have any other family or friends here? Or…" Stiles' voice faded away as he caught Scott's glare over Madison's shoulder but her bright eyes brought back his volume. "Or do you know friends from here? Or are you completely isolated?"

Madison reassured him with a blinding white smile. "I'm completely isolated in this town. I don't know anyone, well except you two, now, if that's all right?"

"Of course," Stiles exclaimed, ushering her along, confidently laying a hand on her back, looking at her face for a second to acknowledge any expression to hint at her annoyance but none showed and he kept his grasp. In return, she swung her slender arms around his waist, pulling the pair closer, hip-to-hip, making him blush a vibrant red that made her laugh.

"I'm a very hands-on person, if you don't mind…" She explained and he chuckled.

"It's totally all right, I don't mind at all!"

Scott rolled his eyes and sighed awkwardly as he examined the pair. The two seemed close already, almost as if they were dating, with Stiles' possessive hand snaking around her waist as she mimicked the motion. The pair seemed odd though. With Madison, elegance was evident. Throughout her out outfit, neatly pressed and coordinated, with a fragile physique, and glimmering curls bouncing off her shoulders. Her eyes were intense but beautiful under bold, black lashes that Scott knew rendered Stiles on his knee and was sure if her hand wasn't holding him, he would probably collapse and faint in shock that a girl of her degree would be so friendly with him. Stiles' was a mess compared to her. His attire was lazy, a graphic tee completed with a red flannel shirt and black converse, loud compared to her silent ballet flats.

"Here's Physics class," Scott stopped suddenly. Madison and Stiles halted right behind him and gazed curiously in the blurred glass. "Want to look inside? I'm sure the teacher won't mind." Madison shrugged and nodded, leaning her head against Stiles' shoulder. Scott shot him a confused grin with he retorted with a cocky grin. Scott boldly opened the door and the class inside silenced. They looked at him with curious eyes while the teacher greeted him with a glare.

"Is there a reason why you're interrupting my class?"

"Um," Scott started nervously, gulping under the teacher's harsh glare. "We're guiding a new student around and she's in this class. Um, Aubrey," Scott pushed her forward, stealing her out of Stiles' grasp. "This is Aubrey Lundgren."

Madison waved her hand boldly to the class. "I'll be starting next week and I'm just familiarizing myself with my classes."

Instantly the teacher's gaze softened as he took in her appearance. "I'm Mr. Harris. Welcome to my class. I hope you enjoy Beacon Hills. So, tell us something about yourself Aubrey."

Aubrey scrambled with words. "I uh, can't think of anything on the spot," she pretended to be nervous, shooting a shy smile towards the teacher and avoiding the students' gaze. "I guess… I could say… I like running. I was one of the captains at my old school's track team. I don't want to brag but I'd say I'm pretty good."

Mr. Harris nodded approvingly and extended his hand. "Nice to me you Aubrey," he finished, shaking her hand firmly. "Do you know when you start school?"

"Next week," she answered confidently.

"I can't wait to see you then," he bid them off with a wave and Scott hastily slammed the door behind them, embarrassed and red faced. Stiles pulled Madison back into his reach and possessively kept her under his arm. She didn't seem to mind and walked alongside him, matching his pace effortlessly.

"So, you're really good at running," Stiles started, but his sentence was cut short as Scott's name was yelled from down the hall. All eyes snapped to a figure stalking towards them quickly and Aubrey caught sight of the lacrosse stick in his hands. She also registered his rustic scent and clenched his jaw as she noted another werewolf. Skimming through her memory she tried to recall who but found no one to match any of Peter's descriptions in the werewolf category but as the sunlight caught his face, she immediately matched his features with a familiar name Peter casually had informed her about. A question levitated in her head though and she stared at him, confused. How could he be alive? I thought Peter sent Derek to kill him. I guess Derek had another plans in mind, she answered her own question, tightening her jaw. Stiles' own grasp seemed to pull her closer, protectively shielding her or possessively claiming her as his. Either way, she didn't care.

"McCall," Jackson fumed, glaring at Scott, until Jackson caught Madison's scent and stared at her, nose scrunched and thick eyebrows knitted together in confusion and surprise. "Who's she?"

"'She' is Aubrey Lundgren. She is a new student here." Stiles formally introduced with a harsh expression she took note of. So it seemed Jackson was not greeted kindly. Was he an enemy? Could she get rid of him easily?

"Hey," Jackson said to her with a cheesy grin. She retorted with a nose twitch, a small display of disgust Stiles was pleased with. Finally, a girl who didn't fall at Jackson's feet. Stiles may have lost Lydia to Jackson but he didn't have to worry about losing Aubrey. "Why are you hanging with these losers?"

Scott growled lowly, thinking Madison wouldn't hear but she did and she hid back a chuckle. That's all he got? He couldn't scare a cat with that growl. She could teach him a thing or two. She mastered her own growl enough to scare a grizzly bear that was unfortunate enough to cross her path.

"What is it Jackson?"

"We'll talk later," Jackson changed his mind, motioning with a nod towards Aubrey, "in private." Scott seemed to agree with his nod and anticipated Jackson to leave but instead Jackson boldly stepped past Scott and straight up to Madison, shooting Stiles a hostile glare, daring him to unlatch the blond but Stiles had dealt with Scott since his first transformation and Derek's constant abuse. Jackson wouldn't scare him easily. Instead Stiles greeted him with his own dark glare. Madison was impressed that this feeble human could bravely stand up to werewolves like such. More and more Stiles seemed to grow on her and she secretly hated herself for it. Her resolve was weakening. "So Aubrey, where'd you come from?"

"San Diego," she bluntly replied, eyeing his suspiciously. Her gaze shook Jackson as he felt her cool grey orbs pierce his soul and he felt she had more control of the situation than he did, and call him paranoid if so, but he felt she knew what he was. He took a cowardly step back and gulped.

He lifted his chin and did a quick nod before shoving a hand in his pockets. "When you get bored with these two dipshits, call me. I'll be happy to show you around."

She rolled her eyes and leaned closer to Stiles, giving Jackson a wordless reply insinuating her lack of interest in him. Stiles felt his ego rise through the roof and Jackson sneered at his cocky expression. He left abruptly and shoved shoulders violently with Stiles before storming off on the opposite end of the hall.

"What an ass," she muttered under her breath and Stiles gaped in astonishment. He struggled with words before breaking out in a huge smile.

"I'm in love with this girl," he mouthed to Scott who only rolled his eyes. "I'm probably going to get my ass kicked at practice, he did not look happy, but thanks for shutting him down, Aubrey. I really mean it. That tool needed his ego to be taken down a peg or two." Stiles announced, shrugging. Aubrey patted Stiles' rather hard chest and mentally grinned at the physical condition of this boy.

"No problem, really," she waved it off. "I don't get why most girls fall for his type. He doesn't have… substance," she settled with. "And you said practice? What sport do you play?" She already knew and even if she didn't, she could connect that Jackson played lacrosse from the stick in his hands and if Stiles insinuated that they shared practice then he played lacrosse, too.

"Lacrosse," Stiles replied. "Both Scott and I play it but Scott here is actually a co-captain, so is Jackson."

"That's really cool," she mocked interest but because of her perfected acting skills, they never caught it. "Do you practice today? Maybe I can watch you play?"

"That'd be awesome!" Stiles' eyes lit up like a kid's on Christmas morning and she giggled, covering her mouth with the back of her hand. "I'm not sure if you want to wait all day, it's only second period right now. You should probably drive here later after school. Practice starts at 2:45."

She nodded and smiled politely while Scott stared at his friend in disbelief. At the same time though, Scott realized that Stiles was reincarnating himself when he first met Allison, anxious to impress her, but instead of Allison, her shadow was replaced by Aubrey.

"Speaking of Allison," Scott mentioned more to himself. Aubrey caught the name and snapped her head toward him, anxious. "My girlfriend usually stays after to watch me play. You would make great friends with her. She was new, too, except from out of state."

"What's her name?" Madison asked, playing dumb while forcing a smile on her face, hiding back a snarl very well.

"Allison, Allison Argent." As soon as her last name was mention, Madison's insides ignited into flames and a bitter hatred ran through her veins like adrenaline but Stiles didn't notice. Scott heard Madison's heart rate increase drastically but didn't know how to address it and kept his concerns silent. "She's really nice. Trust me."

"Yeah, she's dating the lengths of you," Stiles teased. Scott rolled his eyes.

Madison laughed loudly at the cheap shot, elbowing Stiles in the chest. He grunted in surprise, not expecting the blow, and shot a cheesy grin. "Be nice," Madison joked. "Thanks. I look forward to meeting her."

As they continued, she couldn't stop shaking in excitement. Patience, she warned herself.