Flowers of Winter

NOVEMBER 26th

Image
Positive.

Four test, all positive

There was a human in Roo’s belly, safe and sound under the warmth of her skin, licking and nibbling some of Roo’s life in its petite, undeveloped body. Ruskin’s baby.

She hadn’t told him yet. What would he think? What would he do? They had trouble paying the electricity bills.

“Miss Ruth Chapman” the doctor called.

The check up was uncomfortable. Roo found herself swallowing back vile. It tasted like dirt and mud, gritty earth stuck beneath her tongue, between her teeth.

“You’re not pregnant”.

But Roo was sure. The tests were positive, she was having morning sickness and had missed her period. Roo was too shocked to ask any questions.

Grace was at her front door when she arrived home.

“Where have you been, Roo?”

Roo unlocked the door and let the girl in. It was only when they sat, coffee in hand, that Roo opened up.

Grace sighed.

Roo showed Grace the sticks. Grace gripped her friends shoulder, running her hand over her silk blouse affectionately.

“Sweetheart, none of these are positive. They’re all negative”

Roo shook her head and looked again, four pink plus signs. That meant baby.

“No, no. They’re positive Grace. See” she pointed at the signs, “plus, that means positive.”

Grace shook her head, “They’re negative, honey”

No baby? No positive test? This time Roo really felt sick, throwing up her empty stomach on her old, black boots
Image