Status: Active x

Tongue-Tied

Alone In This Bed

"I'm in love with you, and all these little things...."

I grabbed my phone off my bedside table, letting out a groan before answering the call. I didn't particularly want to answer, I just wanted 'Little Things' to stop playing. Harry had made it my ring tone for me, and I hadn't bothered to change it. "Hello?"

"Hey, Penny! Is Harry there?" Though I hadn't even bothered looking at the call display, I knew it was one of my best friends Perrie by the voice.

I almost instinctively looked over, expecting Harry to be laying there, looking at me with half closed eyes. "Who is it, babe?" he'd ask before yawning, and burying his head in the pillow. Of course, when I did look over all I saw was empty sheets. "Er... no, no he's not." I answered, swallowing hard.

"Oh, alright. Zayn's been calling him all morning and he hasn't answered. Figured he'd be with you."

I winced, unsure of what to say. "Uh, Perrie... If it's an emergency Zayn should probably go to Harry's, I doubt he'll be answering."

"Huh? Why's that?"

"Well... we, er... We broke up." I finally said it. Harry and I broke up. Meaning we were no longer together. Meaning I was single. There was a pause on the line.

"What?! Oh my god, Penny, are you alright? What happened?"

I rubbed the bridge of my nose between my thumb and forefinger, recalling last night's events. "I'll tell you in a bit, okay? I... don't want to talk about it right now."

"Oh, hunny... You two will be fine. You always are, don't worry. Whatever happened will blow over." Perrie said, always reassuring me when it came to Harry. What she said did hold some truth, as Harry and I had broken up two times before and gotten back together quickly after. Nothing to this scale had happened before though, however.

"I dunno. This time is different."

I heard her sigh, and I rested my head back on the pillow. I'd barely slept the night before, but now that I'd been woken up I sure as hell wouldn't be able to go to sleep again. "Do you want me to come over?"

Part of me really wanted company, while the other part knew I was definitely in no state for it. I'd probably snap at Perrie, and be rude in general... that, or I'd bawl my eyes out the whole time and just feel like an idiot. "No, Perrie, it's fine. I'm too tired... maybe tomorrow, so you can help me clear all these pictures out."

"Oh, Penny... It'll be alright, hun."

I tried to believe her, but I couldn't. I couldn't wrap my head around things being okay without Harry. It seemed impossible, and it sure as hell felt like it so far. My entire future was modeled around Harry. How was I supposed to re-plan everything? "I hope so... but, I should probably get going. I haven't slept at all."

"For sure. Call me in a bit if you want to talk, yeah?"

"Of course. Bye, Perrie."

"Bye!"

I hung up the phone, rolling flat onto my back and staring at the ceiling. Talking to Perrie, confirming the split... that made it all the more real. I almost wish she hadn't called, so I could live in my own sweet denial.

It didn't take long for word to spread through out the lads, as Niall texted me only about five minutes after the call ended. Penny, babe! You and Haz broke up?! Say it ain't so ):

I almost smiled as I read the message. Niall and I got on very well and had since we met. He was definitely my best guy friend, and we could talk to each other about anything. It's so, Nialler. Guess we won't be seeing each other as much, huh ): I texted back.

O'course we will! I couldn't live without ya Penny. We'll still see each other all the time, promise x(: He sent back within about thirty seconds. This time, I actually did smile.

Good. Don't know what I'd do without you. Niall always had a calming affect on me. I could be super stressed out, and he'd make a joke and mess up my hair and I'd smile immediately. He just took all the stress from me, somehow, and I was so glad to be talking to him.

You don't have to worry about that, love. I'll always be there for you. Speaking of, are you okay? I'm worried ):

I got out of bed, looking in the mirror briefly before starting to text back. My hair was a raggedy mess, and my eyes were red and bloodshot from crying. I looked absolutely terrible. I dunno, honestly. I will be. I guess.

Aweh, Penny. I love ya, you know that? Want me to come over later?

And to my surprise, I briskly texted back.

Yes.

Image

"Harry! Oi, get your ass up, curly!"

I groaned, burying my head in the pillows. Whoever dared to get into my flat and wake me up at this hour was going to get their ass kicked. Plain and simple.

"Harry!"

Suddenly the blankets were ripped off me, and I saw Zayn staring down at me with a sympathetic expression. "What do you want?" I asked. It seemed like I had no other choice, so I sat up, shaking hair from my eyes.

"What the fuck happened to your hand?"

I'd totally forgotten about it. I looked down to see blood crusted along my knuckles. A small puddle of blood had soaked into my sheets from last night. I looked up at Zayn, and shrugged.

He sighed, sitting on the corner of my bed, and looking at me. "Perrie was on the phone with Penny this morning, told me what happened. You alright?"

"I'm fine." I said defensively, pulling my injured hand to my chest. I didn't want Zayn here, to be entirely honest. All I wanted was to go to bed, and not wake up. I could feel him staring at the shattered glass on my floor, and the blood on my hand, and I didn't want him to. I didn't want anyone to see me like this. "Is Penny alright? Did Perrie say?" I'd find comfort in knowing she was alright. If she was half as upset as I was, that'd hurt even more. Knowing she was happy... maybe that could get me through.

"She seemed okay, I guess..." Zayn said quietly, looking me straight in the eyes. It made me nervous. "You can't be too broken up over it, mate. It'll be alright, you know."

"You don't understand," I groaned, my eyes floating down to the broken picture frame on the floor. "I don't know how to live without her."

"You did it before, didn't you?"

"Barely."

He sighed, looking down at the floor. I could tell he had no idea how to comfort me, and I didn't blame him. I was rather hard to get through to when it came to Penny. "What happened, anyways?"

"Long story."

"You know I've got time."

I didn't want to talk about it. He didn't seem to understand that. There was no way in hell I'd be bringing up the memories from last night so soon. Instead, I changed the subject. "How'd you get in here?"

"Got a spare key from Lou."

"God, Zayn... you really went on a mission to get here, didn't you?"

"Of course I did. We all know how much Penny means to you, mate... The rest of the boys were gonna come too, except we figured it might be too overwhelming." Zayn said, shrugging his shoulders. "Except Niall. We haven't heard from him."

I smiled slightly, nodding at Zayn. Despite how annoying and intrusive my band mates could be at times, they were my best friends. Brothers, practically, and I didn't know where I'd be without them. "Thanks... Really."

"Don't worry about it. Do you want to go to the bar tonight? We can invite the rest of the boys, too."

I was absolutely heart broken. I felt like I couldn't get out of bed, let alone go out and pretend to have fun with my friends. The thought of Penny practically paralyzed me. I didn't see a lot of point in going out, having fun if I wasn't coming home to her. "I dunno, Zayn..."

"Come on, it'll be fun. I promise."

I sighed, but slowly nodded my head. "Fine, I'll come."

God, what was I getting myself into?
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, guys. I need your opinion. I'm gonna be starting a new mini-series soon, and I can't decide whether to use Harry or Nialler as the love interest.
Basically, its a tragedy. I can't really tell you the plot without giving away the whole story, but if I do my job right there will be lots of tears.
So, which boy would you rather see get all emotional and whatnot? I need heeeelp):
Let me know in the comments. Thanks x.