Sequel: Synthetic Love
Status: This one's completed, so go check out the sequel

Black Damask

Chapter 1

Another new state, another new school, once again on the other side of the country. I was ready for the stares as soon as I stepped out of the car, but surprisingly, they were the normal stares any new student would get. Maybe Pennsylvania was a better state than I thought. For all their extremities, Vegas schools weren’t that accepting. At least, they didn’t accept my all black clothes and dark make-up. As I made my way to the office, people moved out of my way in a strange sense of respect.

I sat in the office waiting on the secretary to finalize my paperwork and call my mom at work since, as usual, she was at work. At least the wait got me out of my first class. Unfortunately I was late for my second, since I got lost finding my way around. And, being my luck, that “was no excuse” according to Mr. Ungowkie. My luck did turn around when I managed to get seats in the backs of all my classes. Nonetheless, I was ready for lunch when it came.

Following my usual routine, I spoke to my teachers as little as possible and kept to myself. I wandered out of the cafeteria looking for a secluded corner with no sun whatsoever for me to pass the time in. Fortunately, my natural off-standishness kept people from approaching me.

“You’re new here,” some one said. I tried to hide my surprise at not having heard him approach.

I nodded slightly. “I haven’t been that impressed by the school so far, but if Edward Scissorhands goes here, then it must be at least somewhat decent,” I said, looking up. I had to say, the guy was kind of attractive.

“I’ll take that as a compliment coming from Wednesday Addams.” I was impressed by the fact that I’d finally found someone who knew who the Addams Family was. “I’m Devin. And you are better known as…?”

“Anna,” I answered. “I just moved here from Un-Fabulous Las Vegas.” Devin chuckled slightly at that. “That city is all about bright neon colors; they don’t go for anything dark like this.” We both looked up as the bell rang ending lunch. “Any chance you could tell my how to get to Mrs. Kemont’s class?” I asked, looking at my schedule.

“I’m going in that direction; I’ll walk you,” he offered. “Mind if you see your schedule?” I handed it to him to look over as we walked. “We all have the same first and last class together.”

“‘We?’” Did my first and likely only chance at a friend in this new school have some sort of personality disorder?

“Sorry,” Devin replied with another chuckle. “My friends are in those classes too. You’ll like them.” My skepticism must have been obvious. “If you get along with me, you’ll fit right in.”

“That would definitely be a change,” I said. “Thanks for walking me. At least I won’t be late for one class today,” I said, spotting the door.

“No problem at all. You’re next class is right up those stairs, second door on the left. Then I’ll see you back at the other end of this hall,” Devin said.

Thanks to Devin, I managed to get to my classes on time. My string of seats in the back of the classroom continued, and I managed to get through without having to talk to anyone.

The day seemed to be going well until I handed my schedule to Mrs. Santos, my last teacher. “Why don’t you introduce yourself to the rest of the class?” she suggested cheerily.

“I’d rather not,” I relied shortly. That probably wasn’t the best idea, considering how fast her smile disappeared.

“Insubordination will not be tolerated in this class,” Mrs. Santos snapped. “Take an empty seat unless you would like to be sent to the Principal’s Office on your very first day.”

“I spent enough time in the office this morning, and I’m sure this won’t be the last time I’m offered a trip down there.” I ignored everyone’s laughter as I made my way to the only empty seat in the room, conveniently in the back of the room, right behind Devin. As Mrs. Santos pulled herself together and started the day’s lesson, I took the chance to look at the group of guys sitting around me. I assumed they were Devin’s friends based on their black clothes and hair.

“You have no idea what you did,” Devin said, spinning around in his seat when the bell rang.

I shrugged my shoulders, gathering my things. “He can’t be that bad. Besides, as long as I don’t act like I care about being there, there won’t be any problem.”

“Interesting,” Devin said thoughtfully as we followed the other five guys that looked like him out into the hall. “Guys, this is Anna,” he said, as we stopped on the sidewalk by the parking lot. “Anna, this is Chris, Ricky, Balz, Angelo, and Ryan.” We talked for a few minutes before Chris announced they had to go. “We have band practice right now, but do you want to meet later?”

“I would, but the moving truck is arriving today and I have to set up the house,” I said. “Maybe we can get together tomorrow or something.”

Devin nodded and scribbled his number on a scrap of paper before joining the others. Overall, I’d say this was a good day. As I walked home, my thoughts were a mixture of the Marilyn Manson songs coming through my headphones and Devin. For some reason, I couldn’t stop thinking about him as I unpacked in the empty house.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm looking for someone willing to write from Devin's point of view. I have a few ideas of what I want to happen later in the story, so send me a message if you're interested. And as always, leave a comment letting me know what you think.