Sequel: Synthetic Love
Status: This one's completed, so go check out the sequel

Black Damask

Chapter 11

I squinted in the bright light making its way through the blinds on my window. I attempted to bury myself in Devin's chest. Wait, why was Devin here? He was still asleep, so I rested my head on his chest, listening to his heart beat steadily as last night came back to me.

The park, the conversation, the kiss. I'd invited Devin to spend the night, Nightmare Before Christmas. He asked me to be his girlfriend. He called me his love when he told me to go to sleep. I actually slept at night for once. And I felt more rested than I usually did after waking up.

I didn't want to get up, so I started the movie over. About halfway through, I felt Devin shifting. "Morning," he mumbled.

"Morning," I said, stretching upwards to meet his lips. "Sleep well?"

I watched him think for a moment before responding. "Since it doesn't look like last night was a dream, yes. And you?"

"For one, you actually got me to sleep at night," I said. "And after what happened last night, how could I not sleep well?" We laid in the bed like that until the movie finished, when I forced myself to get up and shower. When I came back out, I saw that Dev had made the bed and was now watching my favorite movie, See No Evil. "If you want, I can make some pancakes for us while you shower," I offered.

Devin nodded. "I won't take too long," he said. As it turned out, he had perfect timing. "Smells good," he said, coming in as I set the plates on the table.

"I made chocolate chip pancakes, because I forgot to get more maple syrup at the store," I explained, hoping that was ok. Apparently it was, judging by the way he dug in to the pile in front of him.

"If I'd known you were this good of a cook, I would have asked you out earlier," he said.

"Well, I can't reveal all my secret talents at once, can I?" I asked, winking. While we finished eating, I came up with a plan. "Want to play a trick on the guys," I asked. Dev nodded, the excited look on his face making me laugh. "What if we pretend like we're not together yet, and make them go even crazier trying to hook us up?"

"I like it," Devin said, a mischievous smile on his face. "I'll start tonight at band practice."

We spent the next few hours laying on my bed watching movies. I felt so comfortable there, with his arms around me. Eventually, the time came for me to walk Devin downstairs. "I guess we'll see each other in the morning, then" I said.

"The time will go by fast," he said. "I promise." With one last kiss goodbye, I watched Devin drive off to Chris's house for practice.

The next morning, the guys greeted me with hugs. "We've missed you," Balz said. "It's been so boring without you here."

"Don't worry, I'm back now," I reassured him. As the group drifted back to the conversation they were having when I got here, I saw Devin making his way over. Damn, this trick was going to be harder than I thought. But it looked like Dev had pulled it off last night, since no one said anything. When the bell rang, Devin and I managed to slip to the back of the group, where he squeezed my hand quickly. I could tell he wanted more than that, but we both know that the end result was going to be well worth the wait.
♠ ♠ ♠
This morning's chapter is brought to you by the importance of saving your work. Otherwise, you'll end up having to write your chapter twice, like I just did.

Thank you to those of you who have been brave enough to comment on the story. It is greatly appreciated. But there are still quite a few of you who have unfortunately remained silent.

Now, it's off to TheRockshowChick with Devin's POV.