Sequel: Synthetic Love
Status: This one's completed, so go check out the sequel

Black Damask

Chapter 7

I let Chris and Ricky lead me away from the school grounds. I wasn’t too worried about where they were taking me until we stopped in some ones basement. Were they going to murder me?

“I texted Ryan and the others are on their way over,” Chris said. Great, they were going to murder me as a group. Did they somehow trick me into becoming their willing sacrifice? Well, I always did want to die in some strange, unique way. Guess I’m about to get what I asked for.

“While we wait, we’re going to have a little talk,” Ricky said as he and Chris sat directly across from me. “What did you mean earlier about you being with Devin?” Damn, I thought they’d forgotten about that.

I stayed silent, afraid to say anything. Afraid they’d kick me out, say they never wanted to see me anywhere near them ever again if I said I liked Dev. But I couldn’t lie, even to myself. “Do you like him?” Chris prompted. I nodded slowly. I definitely wasn’t expecting what happened next.

The pair tackled me against the couch, huge grins on their faces. “So, you’re ok with this?” I asked.

“Yes! He deserves someone like you,” Ricky said. “Have you told him yet?”

“No, there’s no way he’d like me,” I said, rubbing my arm to fight the urge I had. “I’d just embarrass myself if I said anything to him about it.”

Chris and Ricky shared a look. “What if we helped you?” Chris suggested.

“I guess it’s worth a try,” I said. “But if things end badly I’m blaming you.” The guys laughed before Chris ran upstairs to let the others in when the doorbell rang.

“Are you ok?” Ricky asked when we were alone. “Did you get hurt in the fight?”

“Um, no, no. It’s nothing,” I stuttered. I’d have to be more careful, I couldn’t let them know about this. “All I got was this scratch,” I said, pointing to my cheek. I could see Ricky didn’t quite believe me, but he didn’t say anything more.

I looked up to see Chris leading the others down the stairs. “I thought you were in a fight with Casey,” Balz said confused.

“Why do you think Casey looked so bad?” Ryan asked. “All I know is that if I ever need one, Anna is being hired as my personal bodyguard,” he said, making us all laugh. “But I’m glad you’re ok.” The others nodded, pulling me up off the couch to take turns hugging me. When we sat down again, Ricky moved to the other couch, leaving the seat next to me to Devin. We stayed in the basement talking until later when Dev offered to drive me back to school so I could get my car before going back to what I learned was Chris’s house for band practice. We didn’t talk much on the way back to school, but it was another of our comfortable silences.

The next morning, all of us were called to the principal’s office during our first class. I knew it had something to do with me, but I didn’t think the others were going to be punished because of me. We sat in the office for a while before the principal came out. “Angelo, Joshua, Ryan, and Devin, you all have detention after school for the remainder of this week for leaving school grounds without permission. Christopher and Richard, you have detention for the remainder of this week and all of next week for leaving school also and aiding in a fight between students. You can all go now.” I stood up with the guys, hoping Mr. Woold wouldn’t notice me. “Anna, you are not yet free to go. Considering your file, your file has yet to be discussed.”

I watched the guys file out one by one. “Since we’re discussing this, I propose I have two weeks of detention,” I said. Mr. Woold didn’t seem to agree.

“This is not open for ideas,” he snapped. “Considering this is not your first fight, there is a harsher punishment.” I sat in silence while Mr. Woold thought, pacing back and forth in front of me. “Because it was determined that you did not begin the fight yourself, you won’t receive a full two weeks suspension. Instead, you’re suspended for the rest of this week, with detention after school all next week. You may leave campus now.” Not a bad as I thought it would be. I got my stuff and made my way to my car. It was still early, so I could probably get some sleep.

I texted Devin explaining everything to him before climbing back into bed. When I woke up hours later, I saw that Devin replied saying he’d come by later tonight. I didn’t mind too much when all six guys showed up, but I had kind of been looking forward to having some time alone with Dev. I got that later though since he came by every day after school for a little while.

I invited everyone over Friday night. Chris said he had a plan in mind, but wouldn’t tell me anything about it. I woke up before the others and slipped upstairs to shower and change clothes. It didn’t look like anyone had moved when I came back down, but apparently I was wrong. While in the kitchen, Chris snuck up behind me, scaring the hell out of me. “Have you checked your phone this morning?” he asked quietly, a mysterious smile on his face.

I shook my head. “Why? Should I have?”

Chris shrugged. “There might be something for you to see,” he said. “But you’ll see it eventually.” His behavior made me suspicious, especially when he watched me as I got my phone from next to the couch where Dev and I had fallen asleep. My jaw dropped as I when I saw the picture Chris had sent me.

“I might have sent it to your lover-boy too,” Chris said, trying to hold back his laughter. I’m glad he was amused by this. “It’s a good picture, what are you so worried about?”

I sighed. He was right. Thinking, I could slightly remember falling asleep. We’d been watching The Amityville Haunting, Dev and I on the couch together. Chris must have taken the picture after we’d both fallen asleep. I had to admit, it was a good picture. Dev had his arms around me, his head on mine. We looked so peaceful.

“So, what do you think?” Chris asked.

“You really think this is going to help?”

“It has to. And if it doesn’t, there something seriously wrong with that guy. Or you. Maybe both.” Chris glanced up as someone joined us in the kitchen. “If you don’t mind, I’m going to jump in the shower,” Chris said, getting up.

I turned around to see none other than Devin standing there, holding his phone nervously.
♠ ♠ ♠
Only 5 comments? Where's the love people?

TheRockshowChick will be here soon to share Devin's point of view with us.