It Takes Someone Special to Be a Dad

Beginning Of A Family










Kate's POV
The house was full of hockey players, their kids and wives. Why did I do this to myself? The house was going to be a mess when it was over and I would be left cleaning it all up, but I love my son so it was a small price to pay.

“Kate this cake is amazing, did you make it yourself?” Dan asked cupping the chocolate sweet in his hand.
“I sure did, Evgeni helped though.” I smiled at the man standing next to me with his hand innocently placed on my back.
“I know I wasn’t sure about you two in the beginning but you made it work… she’s a keeper G,” he said behind his hand to Evgeni as he headed back outside.

*Knock Knock*
“That will be him,” I said pulling away from Evgeni’s grasp.
He stopped me and pulled me back into his arms giving me a kiss that reminded me he was the one I loved, “I love you.”
“I love you too,” I grabbed his hand and we headed for the door.

“Come in,” I stepped aside as Evgeni lent up against the wall on the opposite side with his arms folded across his chest looking more than a little intimidating.
“How are you?” he smiled as he stepped inside.
“Good, considering all of this,” I pointed to the destruction of my house.
“Looks like fun,” we continued into the kitchen.
“Can I get you anything to drink?”
“No thanks, I can’t stay long my flight leaves in a couple of hours just wanted to give him his present.”

I was a little reluctant not knowing what the present was but called my newly turned 3 year old boy inside anyways.
“Yeah,” he came running inside.
“There’s someone here who wants to see you.”
“Where you?”
“In the kitchen.”
“Hi,” my son stood in front of us with a big smile on his face.

Evgeni’s POV
“Asher’s this is Jack, remember from the park the other day. He came to see you for your birthday,” I still wasn’t sure why Kate had invited him but Asher was her son and it was up to her if Jack was in his life.
“Hey Asher,” I watched as Jack knelt down in front of him, “happy birthday,” he handed over a small gift.

“Thank you,” he smiled before tearing into the gift and unveiling a car.
“I have cars,” he looked a little disappointed.
“Ah but watch this,” Jack placed it on the ground and pulled it back before it took off across the floor.
“Cool!” Asher chased after it before trying it for himself.

“Mummy can Jack play,” my eyes widened at the little boys enthusiasm to play with the man who walked out on him and his mother.
“For a little while, but don’t tire him out ok?”
“Ok,” he grabbed Jack’s hand, “come on,” and pulled him outside.

We followed them outside and stood on the deck watching Asher mimic exactly what he did with me when we played with Jack. He set him in the goals before running back to his spot and grabbed my old hockey stick I had cut down for him before getting himself ready and beginning to hit the little plastic balls in the goals.

“Don’t worry,” she turned around to me placing her hand on my chest, “you are his favourite person in the whole world and nothing is going to change that,” she lent up and kissed me lovingly.
“I hope so,” I wrapped my arms around her and rest my head on top of hers continuing to watch them.

Kate’s POV
I could see how reluctant Evgeni was to let Asher bond with jack and I could completely understand because I felt exactly the same way. I didn’t want my son getting attached to a man that wronged us once just so he could do it again. But it was Asher’s birthday and he was excited, chances of him remembering Jack after this were very slim.

Once Asher had completely worn Jack out we went back inside and had a chat.
“Look I don’t know where you two are at with your relationship and that is none of my business but if I had have known that this was what Asher had I would have let you be.”
“So you don’t want to be his dad?” I double checked.
“I want to but I don’t want to ruin what he has here, it would just get too complicated. Maybe when he is older and can understand but right now I think it’s for the best if I just stay away.”

I got up and followed Jack to the door to see him off, “why couldn’t you have been this mature when we found out I was pregnant?”
“I know,” he sighed, “but we both have everything we could ever need now right?”
“Yeah,” he was right. We weren't meant for each other even if he was mature before it wouldn't have worked out.

**************************************

After finally cleaning up the house and the impossible task of getting Asher to sleep after all the excitement of the day Evgeni and I collapsed on the couch.
“No more birthday parties,” I mumbled mashing my face into his chest.
“Next year,” he put his hand on my back and rubbed lightly in circles as I felt all my body relax into his as I laid on top of him.

“Kate?”
“Yeah,” I couldn’t keep my eyes open for much longer.
“Do you want me be Asher’s dad?” he sounded so uncertain of the words coming from his mouth.
“Do you want to be Asher’s dad?” I lifted my head up to look at him.
“Yeah,” I could see the smile creeping onto his face.
“Well I don’t want anyone other than you to be his dad,” I smiled back leaning up to kiss him.

He somehow flipped us over and he began attacking me with his lips.
“What are you doing?” I began laughing as his breath tickled my neck.
“Celebrating,” he ran his fingers lightly up my side making me squirm.
“Really?” I raised my eyebrow at him, “or do you want your very own mini you?”
“Maybe both,” I gladly accepted his weight as he slumped on top of me.
♠ ♠ ♠
So my mind has not been on writing stories lately. I have been distracted by my very own cute Russian hockey playing man/boy who just so happens to have met the wonderful Evgeni Malkin. completely convinced he has a bit of a man crush on him, but hey who wouldn't?