It Takes Someone Special to Be a Dad

Our Brave Little Soldier










Kate’s POV
“Mummy,” I was woken up by our son’s voice seeping through the ICU ward.
“Yeah buddy?” I rubbed my eyes and moved from where I was sleeping with my head on Evgeni’s chest.
“Sick,” he moaned rolling over towards me.
“It’s ok baby,” I scooted him over and sat next to him pulling him back into my arms.

We rested for a while before the doctor appeared, clipboard in hand, smile on his face.
“Hello,” he stood at the end of the bed waking us all up, “how is he doing?”
“He said he felt sick before,” I stroked Asher’s little pink cheek.
“Yeah, the medication is strong, but I will just check him over for safe keeping.”

I cringed when the doctor took the dressing from his head to reveal the row of staples, “aww my little brave soldier,” I ran my finger next to it the 3 inch incision along his head.
“I see?” he tried to feel around for it.
“No, no don’t touch it sweetie,” I pulled his hand away.

The doctor disappeared and returned with a mirror, “here you go,” he handed it over with a smile.
“Eww,” he scrunched his face up making Evgeni laugh.
“Just like mine,” Evgeni reminded him pointing the scar on his neck.
“Like daddy,” he reached out to trace the pink line down Evgeni’s neck.
“Just like daddy,” I smiled kissing his temple.

**************************************

4 long days in the hospital, 4 days we watched our son slowly return to his usual self, 4 long sleepless nights but 4 days and he was allowed to go home.
“I can’t believe it,” I was almost in tears, I was so proud of our little guy, “4 days ago we didn’t know if you were going to wake up and now you’re walking around and,” I kissed his cheek, “I love you.” I was so overwhelmed with joy.

“Come on,” Evgeni put his hands out for Asher but he didn’t want to go.
“What’s wrong?” I put my hand on his back.
“No,” he went to cover his head.
“You don’t like the staples do you?” I knew my little guy all too well.
“Mhuh and hair” he shied away.
“Here,” Evgeni pulled his hat from his head and sat in on his head.
“I think it’s a little big,” I pulled it up to see his little blue eyes.
“No,” he grabbed the brim of the cap and pulled it back over his eyes.

When we got home he was still feeling self conscious about his hair and the cut across his head, “How about we get rid of the rest of this?” I played with his hair as he sat at the table eating some biscuits.
“Ok,” he looked up at me.

“Daddy!” he called to Evgeni as I set him up on a chair outside.
“Yeah,” he came running out onto the deck.
“Hair,” Asher pointed to the razor in my hand.
“He doesn’t like it so I am cutting it off,” I smiled turning the razor on.
“I look like bowling ball with no hair,” Evgeni ran his hands through his hair.

“Ok here,” I showed him how he looked and he began feeling his hair.
“Spikey,” he felt over his head.
“Do you like it better?” I asked kneeling down in front of him.
“Yes,” he smiled.

I probably would have been in tears had it not been for how happy he was. I couldn’t help but think if the tumor was cancerous that this would become his permanent look until he was better.

Evgeni’s POV
I was so happy that Asher was home and in one piece. I was amazed at how quickly he had begun to recover and how well he was handling everything.
Already he was on all this medication which alone would be enough to drive me crazy.

“Daddy!” I heard his little voice from outside.
“Yeah,” I ran out onto the deck to see him perched on a chair with Kate standing behind him razor in hand.

He continued to smile as the hair fell from his head and Kate cut it off but he was still the cutest little child.

I guess it was going to prepare me for the fact that there was a 50/50 chance that this was how he was going to look for the next few years if he was diagnosed with cancer.

“Daddy movie,” Asher shook my knee and pointed into the lounge room.
“Ok, what movie?” I picked him up and sat him on the couch before heading to the tv stand.
“Tarzan!” he cheered.
“Again?” we had watched it nearly every day for the past week while he was in hospital.
“Yes,” he ordered.

I turned the movie on and sat down on the couch where he crawled into the crook under my arm and dragged his blanket up over his lap.
“Mummy!” he called out.
“Yeah?”
“Tarzan!”
“Alright one second,” her voice echoed down the hall.

“Put your faith in what you most believe in. Two worlds, one family. Trust your heart. Let fate decide, to guide these lives we see…” Kate began singing the first song of the movie.

I loved listening to her voice; I could listen all day and never get sick of hearing her sing. She had been singing more often because it calmed Asher down. Every night in the hospital she sung to him and to be honest it sent me to sleep as well. I kind of felt pathetic but as long as the guys didn’t find out it was ok.
♠ ♠ ♠
I am in love with Asher and he persistence in being the cutest little thing in the world