It Takes Someone Special to Be a Dad

A Long Summer










Evgeni’s POV
“It’s over,” I stormed through the front door chucking my bag on the floor. 
“What’s over?” Kate frowned from the kitchen bench.
“Playoffs, season, done,” I slumped into the chair at the dining table.
“Well as long as you tried right?” he put a reassuring hand on my back.
“I didn’t try,” I put my head in my hands feeling useless.
“Why? Why not?” she sat down in front of me and put her hand on my knee. 

I couldn’t look at her, she would see right through me. I wasn’t happy with myself so I kept my head down.
“I promise Ash,” the huge lump in my throat stopped my voice momentarily where she grabbed my face and made me look at her, “I promise Ash I try. I try for him. I didn’t. I fail him,” I promised myself I wouldn’t cry but as a tear fell she quickly wipe it away with her thumb. 
“Its ok, Asher will love you no matter what,” she shook her head before studying my eyes and capturing my lips.

It was the first time Kate had paid attention to me and hockey. I didn’t really blame her for how she acted because I was also thinking about Asher 24/7. 

“Are you going back to Russia?” she questioned as we laid in bed.
“Why I go?” I rolled over to face her only seeing the outline of her face in the dark.
“Just thought you would want to see your family and friends.”
“No, I stay with you and Ash.”
“Ok,” she rolled over.

“Kate,” I slipped over next to her propping myself up on my elbow and draping my other arm around her waist holding her to me.
“Mmm,” she moaned sleepily as I kissed across her shoulder to the crook of her neck.
“You know I love you,” I tucked her hair behind her ear so I could see her face.
“Yeah,” she rolled over onto her back and looked up at me.

Honestly I didn’t know where I was going with it but took the fact that I had her attention to my advantage.  

“Mummy, Daddy?” our door opened and Asher’s little eyes peered in.
“Yeah buddy?” Kate sat up pushing me off of her and where I had been placing kisses along her neck. 
“Nightmare,” his sad little eyes could melt even the coldest of hearts.
“Come here,” she pulled back the covers on her side and let him climb in.

It wasn’t long before Asher was fast asleep, spread eagled on his back snoring. I never wanted to be one of those parents that gave into their kid and let them sleep in the bed every time they had a nightmare but I soon discovered I could never say no. 

**************************************

Kate’s POV
The summer felt like it would never end. With countless nights in the hospital with Asher. He had so many ups and downs. Some days he would smile, even just a little bit and our faith would be restored and other days we would be by his bedside hoping and praying he would be ok.

“Asher, I need you to promise me one thing,” I said to my sleepy boy in my arms.
“Mhuh?” he mumbled.
“Promise me you are going to wake up everyday,” I ran my hand over his head.
“Ok,” he began to close his eyes.
“Good boy,” I kissed his forehead and let him finally fall asleep.

So far he had kept his promise and it honestly made me feel that little bit better.
 

Craig and Anne made regular visits with Rhys who kept Asher’s spirits high. He made sure Asher had a new toy to make him feel better and help stop him thinking about being sick. Rhys even wanted to cut all his hair off so Asher didn’t feel like he was being left out. He was Asher’s best friend and truly was a little angel. 

I watched Asher’s face as he looked on with Rhys decision to get rid of his curly locks. He then began giggling as Rhys poked his tongue out, “Thankyou so much for this,” I smiled at Anne.
“It’s really not that big of a deal,” she waved me off.
“No but really, it means a lot. You have no idea how much he needs this right now.”
“It was all Rhys’s idea,” she insisted, “he just adores Asher.”


The last few months had taken there toll on Evgeni and I but we kept our cool for Asher. Sid, Vero and Marc made some time to come back out to Pittsburgh and stay with us. They helped us through the tough times, made the summer feel less stressful for us.

**************************************

"You know we alone now," Evgeni smiled devilishly.
"I am aware of that," I didn't move from my spot in bed, mainly because I was too comfortable.
"We have fun then," he walked his fingers up my stomach.
"Or we could sleep," I rolled over.
"But its been months," he complained like a child who wanted candy.
"It has been months since I slept as well," I reminded him.
"Fine," he flopped back onto the bed.

"You know what? Sleeping can wait," I straddled his lap where his hands found my hips.
"Good choice," he smiled pulling my down to him.

As he inched ever so slowly into me everything went away. All the pain and anger just disappeared. It was like the whole world around us just shut off and nothing else mattered for a while. 

"Evgeni I love you so much," I laid on his chest completely out of breath.
"I love you too," he grabbed my chin and made me look at him, "most amazing girl, ever." He left me with a lasting kiss.

We knew Asher was in safe hands with Craig and Anne so we were able to just enjoy the time together. If we had learnt one thing for Asher having cancer, it was that time was precious and you had to enjoy every moment with the people you cared about because in the end they are the ones that will be there for you no matter what obstancles you encounter along the way.
♠ ♠ ♠
I figured the story needed a little more Kate and Evgeni but it's not without its share of Asher :D hope you guys are enjoying it!