It Takes Someone Special to Be a Dad

New Season, New Struggles










Kate’s POV
“You come tonight?” Evgeni asked from where he was sitting with Asher at the dining table eating lunch.
“I was hoping too but that job opening closes tomorrow morning and I need to finish my application. But we will definitely watch on tv.”

I felt bad that we couldn’t go to the home opener. Asher was on one of his good days and it was the perfect opportunity to take him to see some hockey, something he hadn’t done in a long time.
“But mummy,” Asher pouted.
“Buddy, I am sorry I really am,” I picked up their plates.

“Why you need job anyways?” Evgeni sighed sitting back in his chair
“Ash sweetie I think it’s time for you nap,” I began stacking the dishes in the dishwasher.
“But…”
“No buts, go on,” I gave him a kiss before he headed on upstairs.

I waited until I knew he was in his room before continuing, “Because there is no way I can afford to pay for the house and his hospital bill.”
“I have money,” he shrugged.
“Yeah and it’s your money,” I shook my head at him, “I can’t ask that of you.”
“It’s just money,” he got up and headed in my direction.
“Yeah well we aren't all made of money like you,” I growled.

I really didn’t want to be having this conversation with him especially right now when he had a big game to be getting ready for. I made myself busy rearranging the dishes, it was a low blow on my part but I was annoyed at his ignorance towards money.

He stepped behind me putting his hands on my hips, “I want you and Asher happy. That why money not matter,” his soft lips brushed the back of my shoulder.
“I just don’t want to let you and Asher down,” I sighed relaxing into his arms.
“You won’t,” he wrapped his arms around my waist and held my tight.
“How do you know that?” I tried to pull away.
“Because you won’t.”
“That’s not a reason,” I turned around.
“Why you always argue?” he frowned, “You great mum all that matters.”

Evgeni’s POV
Convincing Kate that I would always be there to help her and support her just the way she did for me was a task on the impossible side. She never liked to back down and was stubborn but I still loved her.

“What are you doing?” she walked out of the bathroom dressed in a pair of skinny jeans, a white v neck shirt and her converse.
“It in knot,” I continued to tug at my tie.
“Don’t do that,” she swatted my hands away, “you will make it worse.”
“Yeah daddy,” Asher poked his tongue out.

I handed the tie over to Kate before I jumped onto the bed with Asher, “don’t laugh at me,” I tickled him.
“I not,” he giggled, “stop,” his face was going red, “Daddy!” he screamed.
“Evgeni,” Kate warned, “come here before you dirty up you suit.”
“This why you great mum,” I wrapped my arms around her and began placing kisses up her neck.
“Evgeni,” she tried to get away.
“Yes?” I questioned tracing her jaw.
“Firstly our son is in the room and secondly you will be late if you don’t let me do your buttons up.”
“Fine,” I pulled away.

Kate’s POV
“Sid!” Asher broke from Evgeni’s grasp and ran around the car jumping into the captain’s arms.
“Hey buddy, how are you?” Sid beamed.
“Good,” Asher smiled.
“That’s good, what’s this?” he pointed to the tube coming from his nose that was tucked behind his ear and disappeared down the back of his shirt.
“Tube food,” Asher’s little finger pointed to it.
Sid hooked an eyebrow at me as he brought Asher back and handed him over to Evgeni.

“He wasn’t eating at all during his last lot of chemo, he lost a lot of weight so they had too,” I shrugged it being a normal thing to see on my son.
“How is he doing?” Sid put his arm around my shoulders and we headed into Consol.
“He is good, he has his tests next month to see how it is all going and then the doctor said we can go from there.”
“So the cancer might be gone?” he smiled.
“Maybe,” it was something we hoped and prayed for each day.
“Well he certainly looks better,” Sid pointed to Asher who was giggling as Evgeni chased him down the hallway.

As we entered the locker room all the guys made a big fuss over my little guy. “He looks good,” Craig smiled.
“Has Rhys’s hair grown back yet?” I watched my son lovingly as he tried to tackle Marc.
“It’s getting there,” he laughed, “still bowling ball like, but getting there.”

Once Veronique arrived we went out to join the crowds of people in the arena. Our seats were right behind the guy’s bench where we sat with a group of the WAGS to enjoy the night of hockey.
“Daddy!” Asher stood up on my lap and cheered as Evgeni stepped out onto the ice.

Evgeni’s POV
Somehow out of the all the cheering fans I managed to single out Asher’s little one as I headed to the bench.
“Hey look,” Pascal pointed behind me smiling.

I turned around to see Asher sitting on Kate’s lap, a huge smile plastered on both of their faces.
“I love you,” she mouthed and blew me a kiss.

I couldn’t wipe the smile off my face for the whole game, every time I did something my attention was drawn to them to see them cheering.

“You did amazing,” Kate jumped into my arms as I walked out of the showers.
“Thanks,” I got a rather siring kiss for my efforts.
“I am sorry about the money thing today,” she looked down at the floor.
“It’s ok,” I tilted her chin up to look at me, “I always love you.”
♠ ♠ ♠
If you guys think I am rushing the story, or would like me to elaborate on something just let me know. All input is welcomed and appreciated.