It Takes Someone Special to Be a Dad

There Is A First Time For Everything










Kate’s POV
“Evgeni can you take Asher to his doctor’s appointment at the hospital this afternoon?” I questioned Evgeni as I carried Asher into the lounge room.
“You coming?” he asked as he sat down next to our little guy who was feeling a little under the weather.
“I can’t I have a meeting with Ray.”
“Mummy,” Asher moaned clutching his stomach.
“Yeah buddy?” I sat down running my hand over his warm forehead.
“Sick,” he grumbled.
“I know sweetie, I know,” I kissed his forehead.
“Maybe I will ring him and reschedule, I am sure he will understand,” I went to grab the phone from the coffee table.
“No, no, I take him,” Evgeni insisted taking the phone from my hands.

I had never left Asher on his own while he was sick before and although it was just an hour or so and Evgeni had him I still had my doubts.

“He is ok,” Evgeni put his hand on my back as I stood at the door trying to convince myself to leave.
“I am just nervous about leaving him.”
“I can look after, trust me,” he placed a soft kiss to my temple.
“Just don’t forget anything the doctor says,” I reminded him.
“I get him to write,” he smiled knowing that was exactly what I would want.

Evgeni’s POV
To be honest I was probably as nervous about looking after Asher on my own as Kate was about leaving him.
“You ready?” I asked the sleepy boy on the couch.
“No,” he mumbled covering his face with his hands.
“Yes come,” I picked him up.

He began protesting, kicking and screaming not wanting to agree with me, “Asher,” I held him tightly trying to stop him, “It’s ok,” I tried to calm him down.
“Mummy!” he screamed.
“Asher stop,” I held him to my chest.
“I want mummy,” he cried.
“I know,” I ran my hand over his forehead.

He had never acted like this before; he would always calm down when I held him.

I wanted to ring Kate but I knew she was busy and I wanted to prove to her that I was capable of helping out more.

“Vero,” I began to panic into the phone as I paced the lounge room as the little boy sobbed on the couch clutching his teddy bear.
“Geno, what’s wrong?”
“I need take Asher to doctor, but he keep crying.”
“I will be there in 10 minutes,” she hung up.

I waited; pacing the house with Asher resting on my shoulder, teddy bear in hand when the doorbell rang.
“ Thank you V,” I sighed in relief as she took over.
“Have you got all of his stuff?” she asked.
“On the couch,” I pointed to his bag of toys and things we took to all of his visits to the doctors.

He began to calm down in the car and by the time we were at the hospital he was asleep.
“Daddy,” he mumbled as I picked him up.
“Shhh, go to sleep,” I rubbed his back as he fell back asleep.

Kate’s POV
I was going to see Ray about whether I was coming back to work or if they were going to be finding a new assistant trainer.
“I really don’t know Ray,” I shook my head, “I need this job, but I can’t leave Asher with a babysitter right now.”
“Well maybe we can discuss keeping your spot in the office for the next few months, we have an intern starting next week and I am sure she can pick up you load.”
“Ok thanks.”

Great I was officially out of work for the foreseeable future, but only by my choice.
“Hey,” Mike ran up to me.
“Hey,” I hugged him, missing the guy I had worked so closely with.

“Why don’t you do you own personal training? You have the credentials and personal trainers are never out of work,” he suggested as we walked out to our cars.
“I don’t have a gym,” I frowned not seeing how it would work.
“Don’t worry about it,” he smiled, “I will organize all that…”
“No, no, no! Mike I can’t let you do this,” I tried to stop him.
“No, I want to and besides I will let you kick Geno’s ass every morning in the gym.”
“Now we are talking,” I liked the sound of that idea, “but what do you get out of this?”
“Nothing, I don’t want anything just helping out a friend.”

**************************************

“Evgeni,” I called out walking in the door.
“Shhh,” I heard him in the lounge room.

I walked in to find Asher asleep on his chest, Evgeni’s large hand running up and down his back.
“Is everything ok?” I whispered sitting on the ottoman in front of him.
“Take forever to get him sleep,” he closed his eyes.
“He tire you out?” I laughed, “Now you know how I feel everyday.”
“Is hard,” he sighed, “how meeting go?”
“It was ok,” I laid down on the ottoman, “Ray is keeping my spot open for me for the next few months but Mike has come up with the idea of me doing personal training,” I looked at Evgeni for a reaction.
“Sound like good idea,” he smiled.

“How was the doctors?” I got up and grabbed a bottle of water from the fridge.
“It was good,” Evgeni got up and followed in with Asher still sound asleep on his shoulder, “he cry at first but then ok.”
“Good, maybe I can leave him with you more often.”

“Did the doctor say anything in particular?”
“Just eat more,” he handed over a piece of paper with the doctors hand writing all over it.

**************************************

Evgeni’s POV
“Daddy!” Asher called when he was supposed to be asleep.
“Yeah,” I got out of bed and walked blindly down the hall to his room.
“No sleep,” he complained.
I flicked on the light and search through the self to find the Russian story book my mother bought him. “Come here,” I sat down next to him pulling him into my side.

“Daddy,” he looked up at me.
“Yeah,” I flicked through the large book trying to find a story to read.
“You come hospital?”
“Next time, yes,” I nodded not really understand why he was asking me now.
“Promise?”
“I promise,” I kissed his forehead, "now I read story then you sleep, ok?"
"Ok," he settled wrapping his tiny arms around me.