It Takes Someone Special to Be a Dad

Trouble In Paradise










Kate’s POV
"Evgeni, don’t you ever yell in front of him again. If you have a problem with what I am doing you save it for later," our sons little face looked at us from the dining room table.
"You need to keep your head on straight," I pushed my finger into his chest before walking back over to the table and taking a seat next to my son.
"Asher sweetie can you please eat a little slower?" I questioned my 3 year old who happily shoved bacon in his mouth.
"Sorry mummy...mummy?" I could see the clogs ticking in his head as he tried to speak.
"Yeah bud?" I ran my hand over his head and squeezed his neck wondering what he was going to say now.

Evgeni and I had been arguing a lot lately. I had my money issues sorted out, It turned out Mike’s idea was the best one yet.

But with a new job and new commitments and looking after Asher it was hard to find time for us. When we did find time I was so worked up for the day’s stresses that he was the one I took it all out on. I didn’t mean to, I loved him dearly but if we kept it up for much longer it wouldn't work.

Evgeni’s POV
For the past 2 weeks I woke up every morning to a cold bed because she had already been up since 6am when Asher wakes up. She is well into her day by the time I got up and I miss the times when we would just lay in bed all morning in each other’s arms.

Even when I get home from trips away our bed is empty because she has fallen asleep in Asher’s room.
She told me that he cries every night that I am not there to say goodnight to him because he just wants his dad to be home.

That night about 2 weeks ago now Kate screamed for me to get out. I wasn’t leaving, I had told her once I would tell her a million times that there was no way she could get rid of me. I would be there for them not matter what.

They were the most important people to me and I was doing a shit of a job showing it. My work had begun to take over my life, with Sid not being the player he used to be they all looked to me to be the one to save them; the coaches, my teammates and even the fans.

“not love daddy?” I was shocked to her that coming from Asher’s mouth. I knew it was affecting both of us but I never knew just how caught up in the middle Asher was.

He didn’t need it, he needed two loving parents right now. He needed all the support he could get, I was lacking.

"No buddy I love your father so much, sometimes it just hard to show him when he is away so much.” I could hear the sincerity in her voice.

I knew now would be the time to step in and distract him and restore some hope in Kate’s eyes as well.

“Asher look what I have,” I hid the item behind my back as I walked into the dining room to see him perched on Kate’s lap with his arms around her neck.
“What?” He sat up with wide eyes.
“Other ones are breaking so…” I paused for effect and then unveiled the tiny ice skates.
He looked at Kate his eyes still bulging and a smile cracked, “well go on,” she tapped his back.

He climbed down from her lap and jumped into my arms, his little arms wrapped around my neck and he held on unusually tight, “Thanks daddy.”
“But on one condition,” he looked at me confused. “You and mummy come skating with me today.”
“Can we?” he turned around looking at Kate who smiled approvingly.
“Of course we can,” she got up and walked towards us.

I felt my stomach begin to tingle as her soft hand touched my lower back and she kissed me on the cheek.

Kate’s POV
He was trying so hard to fix everything and I was glad because he really was perfect for Asher and I.

If I didn’t let him at least try I wouldn't only be letting myself down, I would be letting Asher down too. He didn’t need another person leaving him again, or me pushing another person away from him. He deserved a loving family like every other kid.

I watched on with Mike as Evgeni took Asher out onto the ice with some of the other guys on the team.
“Rhys!” Asher beamed as Craig brought his best friend out.

“That’s too cute,” Mike smiled next to me.
“I know, they are precious.”
“How are you and that Russian going?” it was no lie, everyone knew that it adjusting to all this was hard for us. They all tried to help but nothing could fix it unless we did ourselves.
“It’s ok, I just,” I sighed, “I just really need him at home right now.”
“Don’t worry too much it always sorts itself out,” Mike offered with a warm hand on my back.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey guys looks like everything might not be as peachy as it seems with Kate and Evgeni...?

Anyways you should check out my new story Remembering My Childhood Crush would love to know what you guys think.