It Takes Someone Special to Be a Dad

I Ruined Everything










Kate’s POV
“Mummy?” Asher spoke up from his hospital bed.
“Yeah bud?” I moved over and sat next to him.
“Where daddy?” his sad little eyes looked up at me.
“He’s away playing hockey remember,” I ran my hand over his head, “we watch him on tv tonight,” I pointed to the little box up in the corner of the room.
“But he promise,” he pouted.
“Promised what sweetie?”
“He here,” he looked down at his hands.
“Hey, don’t worry sweetie,” I kissed his little head.
“No, he promise,” he began to cry.
“Ash please don’t cry,” I tried to soothe him.

As my little man sobbed in my arms I grew more and more annoyed with Evgeni. How could he make a promise with something like this and just break it. I mean I understand that he has to go away but Asher doesn’t.

**************************************

Picking Evgeni up from the airport from the long road trip they were on, Asher wasn’t a happy camper when it came to it.
“You ready to get daddy?” my little man snuggled up in his car seat.
“No,” he mumbled and began sucking his thumb.
“Oh come on Ash, cheer up,” I rolled my eyes.
“You got a lot of explaining to do Evgeni,” I said to myself looking in the rear view mirror.

“Hey,” he smiled getting in the front seat.
“Hi,” I decided to humor him for a while.
“Hey Ash,” he turned around to grab his tiny feet.
He didn’t giggle, he wasn’t happy to see him and I didn’t blame. To Asher he broke a promise and that was all that mattered.

“He ok?” Evgeni frowned looking at me.
“I think we need to talk when we get home,” I turned my attention back to the front.

He got the same reaction from Asher when I put him to bed. Evgeni looked confused when Asher picked out a different set of pyjamas and when he didn’t ask for him he walked out of the room in a huff.
“Mummy,” Asher wrapped his arms around my neck.
“Don’t worry, I will talk to daddy ok?”
“Ok,” he cuddled up with his teddy.
Goodnight sweetie,” I kissed him and tucked him in.

I headed back downstairs where Evgeni was sitting on the couch, usually I would be more than happy to sit with him but I just couldn’t.

“Why did you promise him you would be there?!” I started with fiery attack.
“What?” he looked shocked.
“Oh come on Evgeni, you promised him you would be there for his treatment and you weren’t.”
“I play hockey,” he frowned.
“I know that, but he doesn’t,” I yelled pointing up the stairs, “he doesn’t understand why you have to go away all the time, but if you make him a promise he understands when you don’t come through with it.”
“I am sorry,” he looked down.
“Don’t say sorry to me, he trusted you and you broke it. Ever since the season started you haven’t been there for him… just… just leave.”
“Kate?” he stood up about to defend himself.
“JUST LEAVE! EVGENI, GET OUT!”

He stood in front of me looking like a lost little boy, “I just…” he gave up, he was lost for words.
“Can I get stuff?” he pointed upstairs.
“Whatever,” I crossed my arms collapsing into the chair behind me.

“Sid,” I heard him talking on the phone, “can I stay?... I fucked up… I don’t know… cya.”

He came back downstairs and looked at me briefly, he felt bad I could see it. I could also see how much he wanted to say something but he kept his mouth shut.
“I am sorry,” he said as he walked out the door.

What had I done? Parts of me wanted to run after him, apologize over and over and bring him back inside. The stubborn part of me sat still, I didn’t move and let him leave.

Sid’s POV
I was shocked to say the least. I didn’t think Geno and Kate would ever have a fight like this.

“What did you do?” I opened the door to let him in.
“I promise Asher I be there, I not,” he sighed, “you have drinks?”
“You mean do I have vodka?”
“Don’t care Sid, just want drink,” I followed him into the kitchen where he had started raiding my stash, or there lack of.

“So she kicked you out just like that?” I asked joining him on the couch.
“Yes,” he tipped back about his 5th drink already.
“What are you going to do?”
“I don’t know,” he shrugged grabbing the bottle and chugging what was left in one shot before grabbing the next bottle.
“Geno!” I tried to snatch it from him but he pulled away, “Geno stop it.”

He began rambling in Russian, trying to fight me off and was being completely ridiculous.
“Come on big guy,” I took the bottle from him and all but carried him upstairs to the closest guest bedroom. “Go to sleep, we can figure it all out in the morning.”

My phone began ringing downstairs so I hurried on out, “Hello.”
“Sid?” Kate sobbed on the other end of the phone.
“Kate?”
“Did he make it to yours?”
“Yeah he is here.”
“Is he ok?”
“He is passed out.”
“I don’t know what I have done,” she continued to cry.
“It will be ok, you guys are meant to be together, you just need some time.”
“Ok,” she sniffled.
“Get some sleep, I will come around tomorrow.”
“Cya.”

I didn’t know how I was going to help them, but I wanted to. Asher and Kate meant the world to Geno and he wasn’t about to just give up.