It Takes Someone Special to Be a Dad

Best Christmas Ever










Kate's POV
“Mummy! Daddy! Santa!” our sons voice echoed down the hall as he came running into our room.
“Mummy!” he jumped up onto me. I wrapped my arms around him and covered his little face with kisses, “Merry Christmas.”
“Christmas!” he launched himself from me onto Evgeni who was somehow still asleep.

“Mmmm,” he rolled over rubbing his eyes.
“Wake up daddy, Santa!” Asher scrambled from our bed and disappeared out of the room.

“Welcome to parenthood,” I rolled over to straddle his waist.
“You part of it?” he questioned his large hands grabbing my hips.
“For you I am,” I lent down capturing his lips.

“Mummy!”Asher yelled again.
“Come on we better get up,” I pushed him from my neck.
“Don’t want to,” he continued tracing my jaw.
“Other part of parenthood,” I managed to wiggle my way out from underneath him, “Come on,” I slapped his ass.

I walked down the stairs to find Asher sitting with Jeffrey and Copper by the tree. I could see how badly he wanted to reach into his Santa sack and start tearing apart his presents.
“Not yet sweetie, you got to wait for daddy,” I ran my hand over his head.

“Daddy hurry!” he disappeared upstairs.
I sighed relaxing into the sofa before Asher soon returned dragging Evgeni down the stairs, “Presents!” he cheered jumping of the last step.

“Merry Christmas,” Evgeni collapsed into the seat next to me.
“Merry Christmas,” I smiled as he kissed me sweetly.
“Come on,” Asher climbed up onto Evgeni’s lap trying to pull his Santa sack with him.
“Here you go,” I pulled the big red bag up onto the seat in between us.

Seeing my healthy little boy perched up on Evgeni’s lap, smiling and laughing, enjoying each and every one of his Santa presents made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

To think almost a year ago he was so sick he could barely walk half the time, he wouldn’t smile, he didn’t care for toys he just wanted to sleep. I loved every minute of this.

Once we had finished eating our brunch Asher and Evgeni passed out on the sofa watching one of Asher many new DVDs.

They were my boys. The most important people to me, they made waking up everyday worth while and maybe soon we would have something else worth while to wake up to.

I decided to I would take the chance to wash the dishes.
“One last thing,” I turned around to a sleepy Evgeni with a little box in his hand.
“Evgeni,” I looked at him seriously as he stood right in front of me.
“What?” he smiled.
“This better not be what I think it is,” I glared at him.
“Maybe,” he shrugged, “open you see.”

“We busy a lot and I know now we not ready for marriage, yet. But I love you and now other people know too,” he put his hands on my waist as I flipped the velvet box open.
“Omg Evgeni it’s beautiful,” I could feel this tears brimming in my eyes as I looked at the beautiful gold necklace with a ring attached to it sitting perfectly in the box.

“Turn around,” he took the necklace from the box. His hands gently brushed my hair to the side so he could do it up before turning me back around and looking at it for himself.

I looked down at the beautiful jewellery that sat on my chest, “it’s beautiful.”
“Like you,” he tilted my chin up to look him in the eyes.

“Kate lately it’s hard, life confusing and we fight, a lot, but one day we get married, have lots of kids so Ash always have friend, have beautiful house, lots of animals and grow old together.”
“That sounds… amazing,” I grabbed his shirt and pulled him into me locking our lips together. Maybe he would be getting that sooner than he thought.

“I have something for you, but you can’t have it until tonight,” I teased.
“What? Why tonight?”
“Because I don’t want you to know right now, It will finish off Christmas nicely.”

Throughout the day I grew more and more nervous about telling Evgeni the news. The last time this happened my life fell apart but he wanted it, I knew he wanted it.

“I am a little scared considering our last fight, but after today I know you are going to be there for me through anything, right?” I grabbed the box from my drawer.
“Right,” he grabbed my hand and pulled me into bed next to him.
“Well would you mind if our one day began now?” he titled his head like the dogs did when they were confused.
“Just here,” I handed the box over.

He opened it and pulled out a little jersey with 71 and daddy written on it, just like one we had given Asher for early on in the day.
“I thought we give Asher already?” he curled an eyebrow at me.
“It’s not for Asher,” I laughed sitting next to him.
“I though look too small… wait! Are you pregnant?” his eyes were wide and his smile beamed.
“I sure am,” a sense of relief washed over me at his reaction.

Last time I told someone this they ran for the hills. But Evgeni was all over me.

“So like me and you put together baby,” he continued as we laid in the darkness of our room.
“Yes like me and you put together,” I laughed.

He pulled me into his side and wrapped his arm around me, his hand stayed on my stomach as I began to doze off.
“What about names?” he was wide awake though.
“Evgeni go to sleep, we have 8 months to figure this out.”
“Luka?”
“What?” I forced my eyes open.
“If boy call him Luka?”
“I like it, but 8 months, shhh.”

Evgeni’s POV
Now I wished I had proposed to her. Then everything would be falling into place, but it didn't matter. It meant that I had time to plan exactly how I wanted to propose to her.

Everything was rushing through my mind at once. But not because it was bad, I was excited. Probably a little too excited. The little jersey was so tiny, it was adorable and I couldn’t wait for all the other little tiny things to take over the house.

Plenty of my friends had kids. I wanted kids. I wanted kids with Kate. I didn’t know if she was ready though.
“Now you not have to work, I have money, no saying no.”
“Mmm fine,” she groaned with her head on my chest.
“I love you Kate, goodnight.”

I couldn’t wait to tell everyone, tell them I would be a father for real. Sure Asher was my son, but he wasn’t my flesh and blood. He acted like me, according to Kate he had picked up my attitude, I didn’t think I had an attitude but apparently I did.

Nothing would change the fact that Asher was my son. I loved him and he would always have a special place in my heart as my first child. Always.