It Takes Someone Special to Be a Dad

I am Not Him










Evgeni’s POV
I continued to stare down the tunnel to where Kate was kneeling on the ice holding Asher’s hands teaching him to skate.

“Hey I thought you were taking Asher… what’s wrong?” Sid appeared next to me.
“I am making mistake Sid,” I finally looked away.
“What?”
“Sleeping with Kate, shouldn't have done it,” I shook my head.
“Well I could have told you that was…”
“No,” I stopped him, “I stayed last night,” I lent up against the wall it being the only thing that could hold me up my legs about to fail me.
“You stayed the night?”
“Yes Sid,” I put my head in my hands. “I stayed, I love her,” I admitted my eyes trailing back to her and Asher, “I love them both.”

“Well what are you going to do about it?” he asked as we headed out to our cars.
“I don’t know,” I stuffed my hands in my pockets.
“You’re going to have to stop this casual sex thing.”
“I know,” I sighed not because it meant not having sex for a while but because I knew how impossible it was for me to resist her.
“Why don’t you take her out for dinner?” he offered.
“Like a date?”
“Yeah, I can look after Asher, you take her out for dinner and then you go home, no sex,” he pointed at me as we reached our cars.

It was a good idea, “Since when you have good idea for women,” I smiled.
“Hey, just because I don’t sleep around doesn't mean I don’t know the way to a woman’s heart.”
I rolled my eyes at him, “Sid the romantic.”
It was sad that I was going to have to take advice from him on this one, all the others were married, in relationships or single and weren't interested in anything more.

Kate’s POV
Asher enjoyed skating around, I didn’t have to force him he wanted to be out on the ice any chance I would let him get to it. Even if it meant no skates he would run outside in the snow.

“Alright you, nap time,” I grabbed my tired little boy from his car seat as he yawned and rubbed his eyes.
He attached to my hip and held on tight with his head nuzzled in my neck, “I love you baby boy,” I ran my hand up and down his back as he yawned again.

He stood sleepily on his bed as I changed him into some warm track pants and a singlet so he was comfy to sleep, “Geno?”
“Geno’s not here buddy.”
“Ok,” I could see the disappointment on his face before he reached forward to hug me.
“I love you,” I laid him down and gave him a kiss on the forehead as I tucked him in the part that Evgeni would normally do when he slept.

I sat down on the couch feeling all my muscles start to relax before there was a knock at the door and Copper began barking.
“Copper shhh,” I pushed him away and opened the door.

Evgeni’s POV
“Evgeni?” she looked up at me with questioning eyes, “you didn’t ring.”
“No I want to know why you upset.”
“Really?” I could see the anger begin to bubble in her eyes, “You don’t know why I was upset, your pathetic,” she turned and began to close to door.
“Stop,” I put my hand up stopping her just in time from slamming the door in my face.

“Veronique want me to talk to you,” I walked passed her into her house.
“Of course she does,” she sighed.
“She say I either tell you I love you or leave you and Asher.”
“So leave,” she shrugged.
“No, I don’t want to leave.”
“Well what do you want?!” her voice raised, “Because you sure are confusing the hell out of me. I don’t know what you want from me anymore.”
“I want you,” I looked down
“Well have me then,” she reached for her shirt.
“No!”I grabbed her hands and stopped her, “No, I don’t want you, you. I want you and Asher, I want this,” I gestured to the house around me.
“Why so when you get sick of us you can just pack and up leave with no commitment, yeah sure,” she turned away.
“No, stop saying stuff. I not say any of that.”
“Just go Evgeni,” she pointed to the door.
“No,” I stood my ground.

It began to tear at my heart as I saw through all the band aids and bandages that she wore. Jack had killed every light in her eyes, “you want more than sex, you want me to stay but you won’t stop making me Jack. He left you, not me. I want to stay and now you push me away.”
I saw a tear escape her eye and I knew I had hit the nail on the head, it wasn’t about me it was about Jack. She was still scared of Jack.

“Just leave,” she argued lamely chocking back the tears that freely flowed from her eyes.
“No.”
“Evgeni leave!” she ran at me and tried to physically get rid of me but I wouldn't budge.
“I am not leaving…” I fought back holding her arms as she began beating on my chest.

She fell to the floor in tears, “Kate?” I knelt down next to her, “come here,” I scooped her up and held her to my chest, “I am not Jack… I love you, I love Asher… I am not him, I not leave,” I captured her lips to show how much she meant.