It Takes Someone Special to Be a Dad

Hospitals And Their Phony Posters










Kate’s POV
I always hated how small hospital waiting rooms were and this one was no different. The plain white walls with the typical health warning posters, “Have you been checked?” God I hate those posters. People sitting here are already paranoid enough as it is, they don’t need to look at the mole on their arm that has always been there and begin freaking out because suddenly it could be cancerous.

The door opens and everyone perks up but when Veronique walks in with my son cradled over her shoulder they all settle down again. He looks absolutely spent probably exactly how I feel. His little blue eyes have dark shadows under them; his cheeks are pink where I know he has been crying.

She hands him over and he curls up resting his head in my neck, “Is he ok?” I ask V as I run my hand over my son’s forehead.
“He refuses to sleep without you so I figured I might as well bring him here, at least he might sleep,” she grabbed out his blanket from his backpack and draped it over his back.

“How’s Evgeni?” she talks quietly.
“I don’t know,” I say simply before placing a kiss to Asher’s head, “go to sleep baby boy,” I run my thumb over his cheek as he starts to drift off.

I can feel everyone watching me like hawk as if they are waiting for me to break down. I sit and I stare at the clock up on the wall that is ticking painfully slow. 3 hours he has been in surgery, 3 hours and we have heard nothing. I just want him by my side.

The door opens again and this time the doctor walks in. All the guys move and wake from their slumber to the attention of the man in the white coat.

Dan and Ray stand up and head outside with the doctor while everyone else looks at each other with questioning eyes.
“I wonder what’s going on,” Tyler speaks up.
“It doesn’t matter what’s going because he is going to be ok,” Sid says stopping anyone from saying anything more.

Dan opens the door again and peers in, “Kate, he wants you.”
I hand Asher over to Veronique and turn around at the door scared to face this, “go on,” Sid offers with a small smile.

As I followed the doctor through the big double doors that led to the ICU he was talking about what was going on, how Evgeni was doing and what to expect but I couldn't stay focused, I just wanted to see him.
"He is a very lucky man," those words made my heart begin racing only thinking of the worst.

“He is in the first bed,” he pointed to the left, “don’t let him talk too much.”

I pulled back the curtain; the first thing I noticed was the square of dressing on his neck that I knew was hiding the evidence. Then all the IV’s that were poked into his arm which left a painful looking group of bruises.

“Hey,” I noticed his deep brown eyes open, “how are you feeling?” I made my way over to his bedside.
“I am ok,” his voice was raspy and with the pained expression on his face I was reminded that he shouldn’t talk too much.
“Don’t talk,” I ran my hands through his hair and placed a soft kiss to his forehead.

“You know you scared the hell out of everyone?” I grabbed his hand and he squeezed back in response.
“You scared the hell out of me.”
“Sorry,” he gulped and winced, he was in so much pain I was almost certain he was about to cry.

“Hey,” I sat on the edge of the bed still holding his hand in mine, “look at me,” I cupped his cheek, “it’s ok,” I tried to calm him down but nothing seemed to help.

“Evgeni,” I moved closer and caressed his face, “I love you,” I lent down and kissed him. His other hand came up to the side of my face and held me there as he deepened the kiss, “I love you,” he spoke, his Russian accent just that much stronger but only made me love it more.

Now I knew for sure that he knew how I felt and we were even terms, I was just hoping I wouldn’t have to regret it later on.

Evgeni’s POV
I was tired, sore and to be honest sick of everyone coming in and out to see me. I just wanted Kate back by my side.

When she told me how she felt I couldn’t wait to get out of the hospital. I knew she loved me but I was waiting for her to say it and now she had there was no more denying how we felt about each other.

“There’s just one more person who wants to see you,” Kate walked in with Asher wrapped in a blanket on her hip.

I couldn’t hide the smile on my face as she closed the curtain behind her and made her way over with the little blonde boy who looked so much like his mother.

“Hi,” was all I could get out.
He had gone shy for the first time ever as he hid his face in Kate’s neck and pulled his hands up to his mouth.
“He is just tired,” she brushed her finger over his bright pink cheek.

“Well everyone has gone home now so no more visitors, you’re free to sleep,” she sat down in the chair that had been occupied by every one of my teammates in the last half an hour.

“You sleep too,” I croaked as I grew frustrated with my inability to talk.
“No, I am fine; I will just worry about you if I leave.”

She would worry about me if she left? She knew I was alright and that there was nothing more she could do and she would still worry. I was falling more and more in love with this woman with every word she spoke.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ok so I got excited about my graduation ceremony tonight and I just had to wake up early and write another chapter because, well because I can.