They Thought I Didn't Know

1,142 Words

“I’m just going to go to church, Scott.” My sister said over the phone. “I’ll be back in time for lunch.”

I sighed. “Okay, I’ll see you then. I guess.”

Chris walked down the hall, keys in hand. It seems like everyone was leaving me this morning. “Where are you going?” I asked him.

He looked over at me quickly before turning back to his bag. “I have to go out real quick. I’ll be back before too long.”

“Where are you going?” I asked again.

“Just to the store, darling. I’ll be back before you can even miss me.” He replied with a small smirk.

I pouted. “Fine.”

“Bye.” He laughed, pecking me on the check.

“Don’t forget to pick up some more milk.” I called after him. I heard some sort of reply.

He keeps going out these days, and Jane seems to be going out with him. I know I was being paranoid, but after the first few weeks of them disappearing at the same time, you get suspicious. Maybe, it was a coincidence, but my sister was never really one for church. And, I doubt we need something new from the store every Sunday. Hopefully, it was just paranoia.

I was overreacting. Chris loves me, and I love him. But, it just- oh I don’t know. I watch too much Lifetime I suppose. It was nothing. It had to be. He wouldn’t do that to me. He wouldn’t. Why would he?

The time between Chris and Jane leaving and them getting back was spent chewing my nails and thinking about stupid fears. They came back with cheerful smiles and loud laughter. God, they were like two peas in a pod. I didn’t think they were supposed to be this close. Chris was my boyfriend. Jane was my sister. Why would they act like they’re best-friends? I think they only met six or so times.

“Hey guys.” I said getting up to walk over to them. They looked over at me like I wasn’t the one who lived here.

“Oh,” Chris said a little too shocked. “Hey, babe.” He kissed me quickly, and he tasted different, like cherry lip gloss.

“Hi, Scottie.” My sister said with a sour look on her face. What was with these two?

“Hey, sis.” I replied. “Do you guys want some lunch?”

“God, yes, I’m starving.” Chris replied with a smirk. I couldn’t figure out why it was there, but Jane seemed to get a little red in the face when he said it.

“Okay,” I said, looking between them. “I’ll make you guys something.”

I walked into the kitchen, looking for something to make. “Hey, Chris. Where’s the milk?” I asked him.

“Oh, sorry, babe. I must have forget it.” He called back. Jane snickered to herself, but I just shrugged it off.

The day went by pretty normal, well, besides their weird side glances and strange times to laugh. Things kept coming up that didn’t seem right. They just didn’t. Why would Chris be sweaty from going to the store? There was a line of sweat down his back. Things just didn’t add up. They didn’t. Jane blushed a little too much when Chris made sexual comments. Chris smirked a little too much whenever Jane blushed. It wasn’t adding up. I asked Jane for chap stick, and she said that she only had lip gloss. Surprise, surprise, it was cherry flavored.

By the time she left, I was ready to explode. I had been suspicious for a couple months, but this was too much. They were getting awfully cocky to flaunt all of this in front of me. I know they think I’m naïve, but did they honestly think I was stupid?

“So, I’ll see you at ma’s on Tuesday, right?” Jane asked.

“Yeah.” I said. At this point, I wasn’t trying to be nice. I wasn’t trying to be polite. I was just down right pissed off.

“O-Okay,” she replied with a strange look. “I’ll see you then.”

“Bye.” I deadpanned. She waved slightly before quickly leaving. When she turned, I caught sight of something that just added to my mood. She really needed to learn that if she was going to sleep with my boyfriend, she should at least wear a little more makeup where it matters.

I stormed upstairs into the bedroom, ignoring the strange looks coming from Chris. “Babe, what’s wrong?” He asked. I didn’t say anything, just went into the bathroom and splashed some water on my face. He came up to the door frame with his concern and all. “Babe, come on. What’s bothering you?”

“You forgot the milk.” I spat at him.

He looked confused. God, I never wanted to hit him so much in my life. “What are you talking about?”

“The milk,” I hissed at him. “I told you to get milk. You didn’t get any milk.” I pushed past him back into the bedroom.

“Yeah, and I told you I was sorry.” He countered.

“That’s not the point.” I scoffed at him.

“Well,” he said. “What’s the point?”

“How long?” I asked him.

His brows strung together. “How long what?”

“How long have you been fucking my sister?” I screamed at him.

“What- babe, loo-“

“No,” I interrupted. “I want to know how long you two have been fucking.”

“I wanted to tell you.” He said.

“Tell me how long!” I demanded. I was so far beyond pissed right now.

He looked down at the ground in shame. “Three months.”

“Three- My god, what the fuck is wrong with you?” I yelled.

“I wanted to tell you!” He yelled back.

“No, you didn’t,” I replied. “If you wanted to tell me, you would have told me three fucking months ago.”

“I’m sorry-“

“No, no, just shut up,” I said. I didn’t know what to do. There was no way I could forgive him for this, no way, and I doubt I’m going to want to see my sister after this. “I want you out of my house.”

“Babe, don’t do this.” He said, trying to grab onto me. I kept pushing him away.

“Yes,” I argued. “I do, now get out of my house.”

“Please, babe-“

“Don’t fucking call me that! I want you gone, and I want your shit out of my house by the end of the week.” I demanded.

“Fine,” he sighed. “I’ll leave tonight.”

“No, you’ll leave forever.” I said, pushing him out.

He walked to the door with his head hung low. His foot was out the house when he turned to me. “We thought you wouldn’t figure it out. We were going to stop.”

“Yeah,” I spat. “Well, you were always a little too cocky for your own good. Goodbye, Chris.” I slammed the door on his face, not caring if it hit him or not.
♠ ♠ ♠
Based off of this song.