Status: Stop trying to love me, you're only getting hurt- Leana (Complete)

Smother

I'm a moth to your light

We lean against the hood of my car; Peter doesn’t smoke, so I light a cigarette.

“So how’d you meet the wild party girl,” he started.

“Uh let’s see. I was getting gas at the Texaco that’s kinda close to here. It was around 11 at night. I was going in to pay for gas and when I was coming out she called me over.”

I’m rushed back into the memory; she was leaning against the store brick wall. She was wearing her same favorite moccasin shoes, these tribal looking leggings and an orange half shirt that clung to the upper half of her body. Her hair was an unnatural jet black color then, I assumed it was dyed and she had it pulled up into a messy ponytail.

“She asked me, if I could take her two dollars and buy her a Snickers bar.”

She looked so young, like a twelve year old.

“I got the candy for her and when I looked in her in the face, she looked high as hell. I bet if she asked some old pedophile he would’ve taken her and she wouldn’t have fought him off. She would’ve just gone with the man.”

“Let me guess you took her home with you, didn’t you?”

I take a drag, “Sorry I’m not Micah I don’t drag girls home screw them and then laugh when they go screaming out the door in the morning, because they don’t know where they are, or how they got there.”

Peter laughs, “True that guy’s a fucking lunatic.”

I finish up my cigarette and stab it on the ground.

“So, why’d you keep talking to her?”

She drew me in like a moth to her light.

“She hung out at the gas station a lot, a whole lot. I got gas once every week at the same gas station and every time she was there. We spoke to each other each time, nothing more than a hey, but after the fourth time passing by each other, she asked if I had a cigarette.”

“And that’s how it all began huh?”

“Yup.”

The day she stole my soul.

Peter checks his phone.

“Oh damn, I gotta get back to Ally. She wanted to run up to the store before it closes.”

“Alright man. Tell Ally I said hey, and congrats again.”

“Thanks,” he smiles sheepishly.

I get in my car when Peter leaves and drive back to my apartment. It’s about 9pm, I get undressed and take a shower. While washing my hair I think of Leana. I think of her beautiful brown eyes and how she can smother you with them in a moment if she’s given the chance to. I miss her. No matter how much I try to convince myself that I hate her, there will never be enough hate in the world for it to consume my love for her.

When I’m done showering, I towel off, put on boxers and get in my bed. Even if I do want to fall asleep, my body won’t let me. I’ll just be waiting up for her, doesn’t matter if I want to or not.