Till Death Do Us Part

Cemetery Drive

*One month later*

Mikey and Meg sat together on the bench in silence, like they did most days.
It was sunny but quite windy at the same time, the only sound coming from the leaves rustling in the background.
Meg liked it, she felt peaceful.
Mikey had started it all.
He couldn’t accept the fact that Gerard was dead. He always had the hope that G wasn’t dead really and would come knocking at the door. Mikey believed it so much that he refused to go to sleep in case Gerard came back.
‘He wasn’t dead’. Mikey hadn’t had thought. ‘He wouldn’t leave me by myself.’
But then the day of Gerard’s funeral came and Mikey saw the coffin going through the curtains.
Then he realised that there was no way Gerard could come back, he really was dead.
So the next day Mikey went to the cemetery, he wanted to be near Gerard.
So he sat down on a bench and stayed there.
All day.
Meg, Frank and Ray got worried as to where he was so went out looking. Meg was the only one to think of the cemetery.
So Meg found him sitting alone and decided to join him.
Then a couple of days later Mikey went again and asked Meg to come with him.
So they decided to go every other day as it was the holidays, they didn’t need to go to school.
Frank and Ray went with them too for a bit, but found it a bit creepy going day after day so stopped going as much and did things to try to cheer themselves up.
Mikey and Meg carried on going though; it was the only way that they could feel close to Gerard.
“Do you ever wonder where he is or if he can see us?” Mikey suddenly asked, breaking the silence.
“Yeah, I do actually...” Meg replied.
She always pictured him hanging out with all famous dead people like Elvis and Kurt Cobain.
Meg told him that and Mikey giggled.
Then he stopped and looked serious all of a sudden.
“Sometimes I think about joining him...” Mikey muttered, staring at his shoes as he didn’t want to look at Meg, he was scared at what her reaction might be.
“What do you mean?” Meg frowned. She knew perfectly well what he meant but wanted to hear it from himself.
“I just miss him so much, Meg. Sometimes I think I should kill myself just so I can see him again. I just want him back...” Mikey mumbled.
Then Meg grabbed him by the arms and stared at him in the eye.
“Mikey, you killing yourself is just going to make things ten million times worse. What about your mom and dad? They already lost one son. How do you think they’re going to feel when they found out their other one has killed himself? And as for me, Frankie and Ray... we need you Mikey. We’ve lost two of our best friends and we don’t want lose another. Please, promise me you won’t do anything stupid...” Meg begged.
Mikey knew she was right.
“I promise.” He muttered then broke down in tears which made Meg start to cry.
Then they hugged for ages.
The only way they were going to get through this was to stick together.
Whatever was to happen.