Till Death Do Us Part

Hearts That Make, Hearts That Break

“Excuse me, where do you think you’re all going?” The nurse asked sternly, as five worried teenagers burst in through the hospital doors.
“We’re looking for Meg Watkins. She came in earlier.” Gerard panted as he was out if breath.
The nurse’s face suddenly softened. “Oh, the poor girl. She’s in room 23. Only one of you can go though.”
“Gerard, I think you ought to go. We can see her after.” Ray said pushing him forwards.
“Come on, I’ll take you.” The nurse said kindly, ushering Gerard to follow her down the white corridor.

Gerard felt sick and his hands were shaking as he followed the nurse through the hospital. The place was really freaking him out because he knew that behind the white walls people were sick and suffering. Some of them even dying.
Gerard shuddered.
Finally they stopped in front of Meg’s room.
“You can go in, just don’t stay too long because her parents are coming soon.” The nurse said them walked off back down the corridor.
Gerard gulped nervously.
Would she want to see him?
Would she be in a bad way?
There was only one way to find out so he knocked timidly on the door then walked in.
“Meg?”
Gerard wanted to cry when he saw her. She looked so small and weak lying in the hospital bed. A bubble of anger rose in his chest to whoever had done this to her. “Gerard?” She mumbled weakly.
“It’s me.” He muttered and walked over to her and stroked her hair.
Then she started to cry.
“I’m so sorry about everything. What I said to you, I didn’t mean it.”
Then he started to cry.
“Forget about all that, all that matters, is that you’re OK.” He said.
She held his hand and cried harder, which made Gerard cry harder.
“Who did this to you? Why did they do it?” Gerard asked. He wanted answers.
“I don’t know why he did it, probably wanted to rape me or something. Luckily a worker at the club came out to put some rubbish in the bins and caught him standing over me with the knife, so it was pretty obvious he had done it.
So the guy put him in a headlock until the police came. He’s down at the police station now.” Meg sniffed between crying.
“Sshhh, it’s OK. Everything’s going to be OK.” Gerard said soothingly, stroking her hair.
They stayed that way for a couple of minutes until Gerard decided it was time to go and let other people visit her.
“Where’re you going?” Meg asked as Gerard as he began to pull away.
“I’ve got to go; your parents will be coming soon.” He said.
Then he began to walk away but stopped when he felt Meg holding onto his wrist.
“Gerard,” She said softly, then pulled him back and kissed him right on the lips.
Gerard kissed back, wanting to stay in the moment forever.

But whilst Gerard and Meg were lost in their own separate world, somebody else gazed on, his own world falling around him.
Little did the pair know that Bob was looking through the ward window, watching them together. His heart felt as if it was shattering into a million tiny pieces.
He knew he couldn’t carry on living, loving Meg with her not knowing or feeling the same about him.
Holding back the tears and wanting to go home, Bob walked down the corridor, his heart painfully breaking with every step.

*Gerard’s POV*
“Meg,” I said huskily, pulling my head up from Meg’s level and standing up from the hospital bed.
Meg smirked at me and said, “How did you get so good?”
I blushed.
“I’ve really got to go.” I said.
“You’ll come back tomorrow, won’t you?” Meg asked.
“Of course.” I said, and then I walked out of the ward.
Once I was out of the room I leant against the corridor wall and took a deep breath, my heart pounding.
Then I realised.
I was in love with Meg; I wanted to be with her.
Then I realised how she could have been killed when she was stabbed. I was going to make sure I wouldn’t let her get hurt again.
Because after all, there was one more thing I badly needed.
Revenge.