Status: my first story on here ^-^

Cirque

Two

Cirque is quiet for a while after I'm done.

"Well?" I eventually prompt.

"We'll talk to the Ringmaster tomorrow," she decides. "I... I've heard stories like yours, never from the person it happened to, though. Always bizarre. I thought they were made up. I don't really know how to help you." She bites her lip and begins to drag a brush through her curly rainbow hair. "The Ringmaster knows what to do. He always does. He'll help. You can sleep in here tonight. I'm afraid it'll have to be on the ground. I have an extra blanket, though. And a pillow."

"Whats going on?" I ask.

Cirque shrugs. "I don't know. There isn't a forest for a while. Or a river. Maybe someone found you and dragged you here."

"That doesn't make sense."

"Not really. The only other option I can think of is sheer teleportation. But thats even more impossible."

"Teleportation..." I whisper.

"I've never heard of Charlotte, North Carolina. Or America. You've never heard of here. Sleep, Jax. Maybe things will make sense in the morning."

I've never slept on floor, before. Not like this. This is actual dirt and ground and such. Not house ground. Or tent ground.

Its impossibly hard.
~
"Jax wake up. I've got breakfast. Come on, get up."

I open my eyes and have no earthly idea whats going on. Then Cirque's face focuses in and I remember everything.

"Good morning," she says, smiling brightly.

I sit up and look around. Cirque holds out a brown paper bag to me. "Here you are."

I take it and look into it. Some sort of roll. What appears to be a red orange. A cylinder of some drink. I pull out the orange thing. "What is this?"

She looks at me like I'm insane. "Bloodfruit. Haven't you ever had one?"

I shake my head.

"Well you just peel it, like this." She peels hers like an orange. "Hurry up and eat. Everyone's already awake and working, and we need to catch Dux soon."

"Working on what?" I ask, eating my roll.

"We're leaving today. Everyone's packing up."

"Oh."

We eat in silence for a moment. Cirque studies me.

She looks much more normal today. Her rainbow hair is just in waves now, not little curls everywhere. She's still wearing rather thick eyeliner, but it looks good on her, and she's in bright pink leggings with CIRCO INSOMNIA stamped up the side of one and a black v-neck.

"Whats your real name?" I ask, trying to break the silence. Her eyes are pink. How did I not realize that?

"I don't remember my birth name. Cirque is my stage name. Usually people just call me whatever they feel like. I have a hundred names. Most circus people call me Cirque, though. Thats what you can use."

"Where are your parents?"

She smiles at me. "I'll save my story for a rainy day. Its long and something tells me you'll be here a while."

The drink tastes like fruit punch kool-aid. Except its white.

"I brought you clothes," Cirque announces. She holds up a stack of folded fabric. "Yours are dirty. Change, brush your teeth, and meet me outside."

The clothes are strange. I can't really describe the texure of the pants. They aren't denim, for sure. The shirt is plain and white. The pants are black. I feel like one of the mimes.

Brushing my teeth, however, is a whole new challenge. There's a toothbrush with the clothes, and a little container that looks like a half-n-half one. I open it, its toothpaste. In the corner of the room is a basin of water, so I use that and try to swallow the panic I'm having.

Valentine is waiting outside.

The place already looks drastically different. The big tent is down on the ground. Men in t-shirts stamped with CIRCO INSOMNIA are carrying off huge poles while others are folding up the tent.

I didn't notice the train last night, but now I see it. Railroad tracks, and a huge, brightly colored train. Animals are being led into different cars. People are loading stuff into the train.

"So busy," I comment.

"Time is money," Cirque replies. "We're going to have to hurry when we get out. Or at least I will."

She leads the way effortlessly through the throng of hurrying people. I do my best to stay right behind her.

Soon we come to the train and she walks along it, then knocks on one the door or one of the cars. "Dux! Its me, and its urgent!"

A moment later the door opens. Dux is in sort of dress slack and and a white button down. The hint of craziness is more than present, though. "Yes Filly?"

"This is Jax, and he has... A very interesting story we need you to hear." Her voice is laced with urgency.

"Alright," Dux replies, frowning. "Come in, come in, both of you. But we need to hurry."

"No, I do. I have to pack," Cirque says. "I haven't even started. His story is long. And rather confusing. You tell it, I'll be back as soon as I'm done, alright?"

I want to scream Not alright! at her. Instead I just stare at her like she's a traitor, but she ignores me.

"Hurry up, Filly. Something tells me I'll need your help. And we'll be ready to leave soon enough. But come on in, boy. I'm curious."

He steps out of the way and I reluctantly enter as Cirque jogs off.

Its a sleeping carriage. Small, but large enough for a bed, a trunk, a table with two chairs, and a book case to fit snugly. Thats about where the snug stops. Clothes are strewn about everywhere. Some are noramlish, most are insane looking. Like you would expect on a circus ringmaster. Books are everywhere, as the book case is crammed full. The table is covered in stuff. Theatrical and masquerade masks litter the walls.

"Sorry for the mess," Dux says easily. "I just cannot work in organization. Filly-Cirque-cleans my room once a month, but I usually ruin it pretty fast. Sit down."

I do, cautiously. Dux just swipes whats on his table off onto the floor and sits down opposite me. "Tell me your story, Jax."

So, trying to ignore all the rather creepy masks, I begin to talk. "I had been in the woods with a couple of my friends." I don't elaborate on that, but a look in Dux's eyes says he's probably had his experiances with weed too. "And I walked off a little ways on my own. Then this thing came out of nowhere. It was huge, like the size... Of a donkey or something, but it looked like a cat or something. Like a jaguar or a leopard. Not like a lion or something. I dunno. It had silver fur and it kept breathing out steam... Maybe I was majorly tripping, or something, but it started chasing me through the forest. Then we got to this river and the thing literally threw me in. Like picked me up with its teeth and threw me into the water. I went under and I blacked out because I couldn't get back up to the surface. Next thing I know I'm waking up in an alley at the edge of the city over there. I got up, heard the music, and was there for last night's show. Cirque found me."

"Hmm, in the forest you say? We're in the middle of the plains," Dux states, staring at me.

"Thats not the worst part. I've never heard of any of these places, where we are. I'm from Charlotte, North Carolina. In the United States of America."

"Never heard of it."

"I know you haven't," I groan, dropping my head onto the table. "How am I supposed to get home? My mom's probably worried sick."

There's a banging on the door. "Dux, I'm done!" Cirque shouts.

"Enter!" Dux replies. Cirque opens the door and daintily steps in. Then wrinkles her nose as she shuts the door.

"I just cleaned it last week," she sighs, carefully picking her way over to us. "Well? What do you think?"

I make to stand up but she pushes me back into the chair and perches herself on the edge of the unmade bed.

"Well I have two theories," Dux replies, interlocking his fingers on the table. "There is quite a good chance this young man is mad."

"Mad?" I ask.

"Crazy. Insane. Schitzophrenic. Hallucinating. Your mind created this Charlotte of yours, and all your previous memories."

I feel sick. Inception moment. Could that really be true? God knows I've watched Shutter Island a thousand times... Or have I?

"Dux!" Cirque chides.

"Oh we can't rule that out, even if he seems quite sane. But I've heard stories similar to yours. Never from firsthand, but all rumors have a basis in fact. I think I know someone who can help you in the next stop."

"Really?"

"Yes... He never speaks to me about it, but he might talk to you. Something tells me he can't hide anything from you."

"Who is it?" Cirque asks.

Dux smiles wickedly. "An old friend. Now run along you two. Find him some more clothes and somewhere to sleep Filly."

"Yes sir. Thank you," Cirque says happily. "Come on Jax. The train leaves in five minutes."