I Understand Now

Four

On Tuesday I was late for math. Late by sixteen and a half minutes to be exact. Dressed in a wrinkled T-shirt and unwashed jeans I burst into the room, apologized to the teacher, and tried to find a seat in the room. All the chairs were taken.

Except the table in front of Gordon.

I scowled and dropped my things next to the desk. The teacher continued on with his lecture. Like I had anticipated as I started getting out my notebooks, Gordon jabbed me in the back with his pencil eraser.

"Pssst, Mason. You're not wearing your scarf."

"I wasn't feeling gay enough today," I shot back. I was not in mood for him or any of this. My alarm didn't go off and my mom was having an episode and nearly stabbed my dad with a butter knife. Luckily he calmed her down enough so I could get to school safely.

"Oh, you're grumpy today," Gordon said. "But hey, I need to talk to you after class-"

He was cut off with a look from the teacher. I sent a thank you to God. What did Gordon think this was anyway, high school? You didn't just talk while the teacher was talking.

The lesson continued. A minute later a crumpled ball of paper sailed over my shoulder. I hissed some unkind words under my breath and opened the ball. Gordon had written in surprisingly neat, loopy handwriting, I need to talk to you.

I almost wanted to say no, but then I knew he was just going to keep nagging me. I wrote back, Fine, just don't bug me during class, and I tossed it back over my shoulder. I hoped it hit him in the face.

The crumpled ball flew back over a couple seconds later. If that is what you wish, darling grumpypants.

I didn't write anything back.

---

Gordon walked with me down the hall to my car. This was my first and only class of the day, and I was glad of it. Gordon was seemingly oblivious to my dour manner and continued to shine a smile at me and whatever cute girl happened to pass by.

"I wanted to thank you for helping Liam out the other day," he said as I approached my car. "He still talks about you to me and wants to see you again."

"That's awesome," I said mildly. "I'm glad my good deed of the day had an effect on someone."

"I'm serious, Mason. I wanted to ask you if you could stop by again sometime."

I snorted out a laugh and unlocked my car. "Damn, Gordon, I don't even know you."

"So? There's always time to find out."

I popped the trunk and went to throw my backpack inside. My eyes flitted over to him. Gordon looked like he always did, like he'd just had an epiphany of a brilliant idea and was on the verge of spilling it. His dark green eyes had the wide-eyed curiosity that I imagined Einstein to have looked like before he shrieked, "Eureka!" Gordon's mouth was in that slight, expecting curve of a smile that put a dimple in his left cheek too. I turned back to the trunk and plopped my things inside. "I'm not even sure what to say," I said.

"Well, it's either a yes or a no. Yes would be the better answer."

"You haven't exactly made the best impression on me."

"You're not the poster-child of Prince Charming either, but hey, I like you."

I barked out a laugh. "Shut the fuck up, Gordon."

"Language, Mason. Your better watch it around Liam."

"Whatever. Fine. I'll go see your brother." I moved around to the driver's side of the car. "I don't remember where you live though."

"That's fine, I'll show you. If you give me a ride, that is. I don't really want to ride the bus home anyway."

"Okay." I looked back over at him and saw his grinning face looking back at me. Even though I hated to admit it, seeing his stupid smile made me soften up a bit. He was kind of cute, in a super annoying way, that is.

"Just get your butt in the car then," I said. "I have to be home by five."
♠ ♠ ♠
Wow, I already have two subscribers, this is weird. I have never gotten so many readers this fast. I guess it's just the subject. Everyone likes romance, but nobody likes the other sci-fi/fantasy stories I have. xD