Fix You

Finley


“Finley.”

“Finley,” the voice whispers again.

Finley shakes it off, pulling her pillow over her head. Her hands latch onto her covers and she tugs them higher up her body.

“Finley,” this time she recognizes her brother Adam’s voice.

She peeks one eye open to look at him. He is perched on the edge of her bed, leaning over her. His hair ruffled up in the front as if he had just woken up, yet he was wide awake.

“What Adam?” she whispers, fighting back a yawn.

“I have a surprise for you!” She quirks an eyebrow at him as he rolls his eyes and stands up. “Get dressed and meet me outside in fifteen. Bring your swim suit!”

Finley sits up, rubbing her eyes and letting a yawn finally escape her mouth. She looks to her clock, noting that it is only eight in the morning. She doesn’t argue against her brother’s wishes though, and quickly gets up, pulling on a black swimsuit under her shorts and crop top. She shoves her feet in her sneakers as she pulls her hair up into a ponytail and leaves her room, cell phone shoved deep into her pocket.

When she passes through the kitchen she grabs an apple off the counter before joining her brother on the front porch, where he is sitting on the steps, talking on the phone.

She drops down next to him and grins up at him.

“‘ll call you later Bryce, Fin’s here.” Adam hangs up after a pause, a smile taking over his face as he chuckles.

“You ready brat?”

“For what?” she asks, but he is walking towards his big pick up truck and starting it up.

Finley rolls her eyes and hops into the passenger side. For two hours they drive. Every time Finley opens her mouth Adam immediately yells at her to stop asking him, leaving her to be alone with her thoughts.

They travel down the highway, entering into Western Massachusetts. All of a sudden it clicks for Finley. She grabs Adam’s arm excitedly, wrapping her fingers tightly around his thick wrist.

“You’re taking me to Six Flags?!” she shrieks, a giddy smile crossing her face.

Adam laughs and rolls his eyes, shaking his sister’s hand off his arm. “Yes now be quiet, I’m trying to hear the GPS.”

Finley sits back, immensely happy. Adam drives by the theme park and Finley’s eyes widen as they pass the roller coasters on their way to the parking lot. He turns in, paying quickly for the day, and parks close to the front. Finley notices how empty it is, but then remembers how early it is - 10 am. She wasn’t sure the park was even open yet.

“Race you to the gates!” she laughs, taking off without another word.

Adam shakes his head and chases after her, catching up in no time. Just for her though, he falls back and lets her win. He pays for their tickets at the booth and they pass through security effortlessly.

Finley is waiting for him on the other side of the metal detector, her eyes wide as she stares at the theme park she waited so long to go to.

“I can’t believe you brought me here Adam,” Finley murmurs as he leads her through the park. “Thank you.”

Finley’s green eyes are sparkling with happiness, which in turn makes Adam feel like the best older brother ever.

“Anytime Finny,” he chuckles. His eyes land on the large, white wooden roller coaster in front of them. Finley has yet to ride one before and he knows that it is one she will enjoy. “Thunderbolt?”

She nods her head eagerly and they run over to the ride, racing through where the line would be. There is barely a line at the entrance so they get right on. Finley is practically bouncing in her seat from excitement.

The entire day passes very similarly, though Finley can’t help but get annoyed with the ride attendant’s that fawn over her brother. It gets on her nerves quickly. She sees why they are so attracted to him though - her brother is very handsome and he always has been. He has brown hair that has been lightened from being outside in the sun all the time and these bright blue eyes that she wished she had.

Adam notices his sister cross her arms over her chest as he talks to the attendant.

“So if you need help -”

He cuts her off, “No thanks. We can figure it out on our own, right Finny?”

Finley’s head snaps back in their direction, eyes trailing over the blonde girl standing too close to her brother. “Can we go in the water park now?”

Adam nods and leaves the blonde without another word. He slings an arm around his sister’s shoulders and she sighs.

“I’m sorry Finley.” He looks down at her and pouts his lips into the puppy-dog look she can’t help but laugh at.

She giggles but then stops herself and tries to look cross. “Whatever Adam.”

In the water park, Adam pays no attention to anyone but his sister. He wants to make the best of his time with her before he tells her his news. He had come home early from his training, but he had yet to share why with his parents and sister.

It’s eight when they finally leave the park and Finley is exhausted. Her feet are dragging across the ground and she can’t hold back any yawns that try to escape her mouth.

“Stop,” Adam groans. “You’re slowing me down,” he jokes.

In one quick movement he lifts Finley onto his back to give her a piggy-back ride. She rests her head on his shoulder, closing her eyes.

“I had fun Adam. This was cool,” she murmurs, her voice going quiet from her exhaustion.

“Don’t fall asleep on me yet,” he warns. “We have a two hour ride home and I need some form of entertainment.”

Finley laughs as he lets her slip down to the ground outside of his truck. She climbs up, curling up in the large seat as he heads towards the highway. He drives carefully, not wanting anything to ever happen to his sister.

“So Finley, I have some news.”

His somber tone startles Finley out of her music-induced daze. She turns down the radio, turning her attention towards Adam.

“What’s that?”

“I’m being deployed in August.”

Finley is sure she’s stopped breathing for a moment. That’s only two months away. He can’t leave her so soon.

“I’ll be back in December, I promise.”

Finley is quiet but it isn’t from anger like her brother thinks it is. No, she is scared. Terrified would be a better way to put it. She doesn’t want anything to happen to her brother while he is overseas. He isn’t just her brother, he is her best friend. She wouldn’t survive without him.

Her eyes water as she looks up into his eyes. Adam places his hand on hers, squeezing it gently. “Don’t cry Finny,” he says as the first tear slips down her face.
♠ ♠ ♠
A little snippet of the past because wow who doesn't love old memories ;)

Thank you
kissed by fire c:

Image