Status: Completed - Thanks for Reading!

Hope for Better Weather

Do You Hear What I Hear

Silence. That was all that I heard from mine and John’s friends after we had told them our plan. It was an uncomfortable silence too; one of those silences that seems extremely loud and makes you feel as if you’re suffocating.

“Is anyone going to say anything?” I nervously asked.

“Umm, yeah. What the hell are you thinking?” Henley was the first to speak up which wasn’t surprising. I figured she’d have the most reservations about our plan.

“We’re thinking that we want to make our families happy for the holidays and helping each other was the easiest way to do so,” John explained.

“So you’re making your lives mirror a cheesy Lifetime movie?” Henley spat.

“Not exactly,” I said. “In those movies the people usually don’t know the person they’re asking to pose as their significant other. At least I know John.”

“I think that makes it worse. What happens if…” Henley started but Tim put his hand on her leg to shut her up and calm her down.

“What I think Henley is trying to say is she’s concerned that you haven’t thought everything through. There are a lot of things that could go wrong with this plan and a lot of people that could get hurt,” Tim said, being the voice of reason.

“We’ve talked through everything and we’ll make sure it all goes according to plan,” John reassured the group.

“I kind of like this plan. I wish I could do it… too bad I have Natalie,” Kennedy said which earned him a glare from Henley.

“I still think it’s stupid. What about Dirk? I bet he won’t appreciate you pretending to date someone who is technically your client,” Henley said as she tried to find any reason why John and I shouldn't go through with this plan.

“Well…I haven’t actually talked to him about it yet. I was going to go talk to him next,” I sheepishly said.

“I think we should take a vote one this,” Henley said.

“Timothy, you need to get control of your girlfriend,” John’s joke was responded with a “fuck off” from Henley.

“Actually, I think Henley has a good idea. This will let us voice all of our concerns,” Tim said taking over as his manager skills came to the surface. “Kennedy, let’s start with you.”

“Awesome plan and we can probably get some good songs out of it. Go for it,” Kennedy smiled.

“I don’t know…” Pat said as he played with his hair. “I understand why you guys want to do this but it seems kind of rude to trick your families. It will make them happy though so I say do it.”

“You guys need to learn how to act like a couple but if you can figure that out I think you should be fine,” Jared nodded at us.

“I always thought you guys would make a good couple,” Garret smirked as John and I both rolled our eyes.

Tim sighed and said, “I don’t agree with it but I understand where you’re coming from so my vote is go for it.”

Henley glared at everyone in the room before muttering, “Looks like you have your answer,” and walking out of the room.

“Well looks like I need to go talk to Dirk now,” I said as I stood up.

John patted my shoulder. “Good luck.”

“That right there is what I’m talking about,” Jared said. “No couple acts like that. At least give her a hug, John.”

I rolled my eyes. “Jared, you’re being ridiculous.”

“You have to start acting like a couple or else you won’t fool anyone.”

“Fine,” John groaned as he stood up. He walked over to hug me and it was one of the most awkward hugs in my life. We both went to the right and then the left before figuring out he’d go one way and I’d go the other. We finally embraced but neither one of us was sure when to pull away.

“John?” I said.

“Yes?”

“You can let go now.”

“Oh, uh, yeah,” John let go of me but not before awkwardly patting my back as if I were his bro or something.

We turned around to see all the guys staring at us.

“That was so awkward,” Garrett said. “I’ve gotten more passionate hugs from my grandma.”

“Umm, ew.” I said.

“You know what I mean,” Garrett shot back.

“Ok, well now we know what you guys need to work on but there’s no point in working on it if Clark doesn’t talk to Dirk and get his approval,” Tim interrupted.

“Alright, alright, I’m going,” said as I walked out the door.

I got in my car and made my way to Dirk’s studio which was also the place where I worked. I had interned with Dirk when I was ASU and he’d offered me a job there after graduation. I’d been there for nearly a year and a half and had worked my way up to Dirk’s Assistant Photographer. I mainly went with him on tours to shoot bands but we did other types of photography too. The Maine was one of the bands we took photos of the most, which was one of the ways I’d gotten to know them and also caused a problem for mine and John’s idea. I knew I needed to get Dirk’s blessing if I was going to pretend to date John since he was technically one of my clients.

I walked into the studio and found Dirk working at his computer which was right where he was when I had left work a few hours ago.

“Hey Dirk, what are you working on?” I asked as I approached the computer.

“I’m working on things for Kevin since the Sweet Talker EP is coming out soon,” Dirk answered and then clicked on the computer to pull up a new picture. “We decided to use this one as the cover…it’s one of the ones you took.”

“What? That’s awesome!”

“Congrats on your first album cover,” Dirk smiled. “So what’s up? Why are you back at work at 8:00 pm on a Wednesday? I mean if you’re here to do overtime that’s awesome but I’m assuming you’re here for another reason.”

I chuckled at Dirk and thought of how thankful I was to have a boss that was pretty laidback and accepting. I just hoped he’d be accepting of mine and John’s plan.

“Ok, let’s hypothetically say that one of the guys in a band we take pictures of and I have an agreement to pretend to be each other’s significant others for the holidays in order to make our families happy, what would you say to that?”

Dirk leaned back in his chair and smirked at me. “Which guy is pretending to be your boyfriend for the holidays?”

“I said hypothetically.”

“Ok, hypothetically which guy are you pretending to date?”

“John Oh,” I quietly said.
“Really?” Dirk asked and the smirk on his face grew wider which I didn’t think was possible.

“Why are you looking at me like that?”

“I always thought there was some sort of sexual tension between you and John.”

“I didn’t ask him because I like him. Yeah, he’s attractive but I barely know the guy,” I huffed.

“So why did you ask him to pretend to be your boyfriend?”

“Because he’s a safe choice. There is no chance of me falling for him.”

“Whatever you say, Clark. I do think there’s an underlying reason why you asked John instead of someone else though.”

I glared at Dirk as I said, “I didn’t talk to you about this so you could be my therapist. I asked to make sure I wouldn’t get fired if I went through with this.”

“You’re fine. You do great work, Clark, and I can’t tell you what to do with your personal life. Or should I say your fake personal life.”

I rolled my eyes. “Thanks Dirk. I’ll see you tomorrow.”

“Say hi to lover boy for me,” Dirk yelled after me.

I refrained from flipping him off or turning around and sticking my tongue out at him but I couldn’t help but wonder why he and everyone else seemed to know something about me and John that I didn’t.
♠ ♠ ♠
Outfit

The response from the first chapter was awesome. Seriously, thanks so much everyone! Let's see if we can make the response for the second chapter even better, yeah? :)

I have an author for everyone to check out: Haylie Jaed. She placed first in my contest and it's definitely worth your time to take a minute to check out her and her stories.

Huge thank you to these people:
collidewiththesky
ninaclare
forevernalways
pullin' punches (I have an obsession for John Oh Christmas stories too haha)
tessie
Joel Kanitz (thanks! I changed the layout so many times because I didn't like it but I think I finally got it right lol)
ginnygene (I'm glad this caught your eye!)