Status: Completed - Thanks for Reading!

Hope for Better Weather

Repeat the Sounding Joy

I walked into Dirk’s studio the next day expecting to be bombarded with questions from him but thankfully he wasn’t at work yet. I got to my desk and found a note on it from Dirk that told me he was currently at a meeting but we “would definitely talk about my weekend” when he got back. I rolled my eyes at the last line of his note but pushed it to the back of my mind as I sat down and began to edit some photos I had taken the week before. I got so lost in editing that I didn’t realize how much time had passed until Henley marched into the studio.

“You. Me. Lunch. Now.”

“Wow Henley, don’t beat around the bush,” I joked.

“I wouldn’t have to be this forceful if my best friend would have called me last night to tell me what happened this past weekend with her and her fake boyfriend.”

“Sorry, we got back to town late,” I shrugged.

“That’s no excuse. Now come on, let’s go.”

I sighed but knew I would lose if I tried to argue with Henley. I followed her out to her car and we drove to Barrio Café, one of our go-to lunch spots in town. Henley wasted no time in interrogating me and started her questions as soon as we ordered.

“So how was this weekend?” Henley asked.

“It was good. How was yours?” I asked as I took a bite of a chip hoping this would deter her from pushing any farther.

“Don’t give me that bullshit, Clark Kent. I want details about what happened!”

“Fine. My mom likes John, Gabe and Henry swear we’re perfect for each other, Patrick and Carys were assholes to him but they’re always assholes, everyone thinks we’re engaged because John proposed to me on Saturday, and I also told him about the history between Patrick and me.”

“Hold on. What the hell did you say about being engaged?” Henley spat out.

“Well you see, John kind of proposed to me to make my family think we’re engaged.”

“Shut the front door. John proposed?!”

“Henley, could you quiet down?” I hissed. “There are people in here who know both John and I and I don’t want them to think we’re actually engaged because that is one mess I don’t want to deal with.”

“Well it sounds like to me you’re already in a mess.”

“I know,” I groaned.

“Why did he fake propose to you?”

“Because he was tired of seeing my mom fawn over Carys and giving me a hard time about everything. He thought it would make my mom happy; and it did but it also created a mess.”

“So now instead of telling your parents that you and John broke up you have to tell them that you and John broke off your engagement?”

“I don’t even want to think about it.”

Henley nodded and then slightly changed the subject. “So you told John about Patrick?”

“Yeah, I did,” I nodded. “He noticed all the tension but he didn’t really press me for more information. One night we were talking and it just kind of came out.”

“Hmmm.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?”

“Nothing,” Henley shrugged but I could tell there was more she wanted to say so I just waited for her to go on. “I just think it’s interesting that you felt comfortable enough with John to tell him about you and Patrick. You barely tell anyone that story.”

“I think John and I are sort of a special case.”

“This is true,” Henley nodded. I could tell there was more she wanted to say but she kept quiet.

The rest of our lunch was spent talking about other subjects for which I was thankful. Henley found one more way to include mine and John’s arrangement in the conversation though before we parted ways.

“So, are you going to see or talk to John before you go to his family’s Thanksgiving on Thursday?” Henley asked once we were back at the studio and I was getting ready to get out of her car.

“I’m not sure. Why?”

Henley shrugged. “Just wondering. Be careful Clark, okay?”

“Umm…okay.” I said as I gave my best friend a quizzical look.

Instead of explaining herself she just smiled and drove off. I tried to decipher what her words had meant but I couldn’t figure it out and was just confusing myself by trying. I sighed and decided that it was probably time to go into the studio. Dirk’s car was now parked in his space meaning he was back. I wasn’t sure if I was ready for his interrogation – the one I’d already had courtesy of Henley had worn me out.

“Dirk, I’m back!” I called out as I sat my purse down on my desk.

“Hey Clark,” Dirk smiled as he walked out of his office. “How was your weekend?”

I rolled my eyes. “It was fine. John and I pulled off our plan if that’s what you’re asking – which don’t even bother lying because I know it is.”

“Am I that transparent?”

“Yes.”

Dirk started laughing. “Well the guys of The Maine are coming in later so I could wait to ask about all the details of this weekend but I’m curious and want to know now.”

I knew Dirk wanted to hear more about my weekend but I kept quiet.

So are you going to give me any details about what happened?” Dirk asked.

“No, I don’t think I will,” I smirked.

“I could threaten to fire you if you don’t tell me more.”

“You won’t do that though because then you’ll have to find a new assistant photographer.”

“Touché,” Dirk chuckled. “I do have something serious to talk to you about though.”

“Ok. What about?”

“Well I just had a meeting with Cliché magazine and they want me to be their photographer. That means I’ll have to be California for most of the year and I decided that I’m going to open a studio there.”

“Oh,” I softly said. I figured this was Dirk’s way of telling me that I was soon going to be without a job and I mentally went through places I could apply. I especially didn’t want to tell my mom and Carys that I was unemployed.

“But you see, I don’t want to close down the Phoenix studio since most of my clients at the moment are here. I can’t really run an Arizona studio from California though so I was wondering if you’d want to take this studio over?”

I was in complete shock at Dirk’s words. “Wait, what?”

Dirk smiled at my surprise. “I want you to run this studio for me. I’ll probably be back about once a month just to check on everything but I want you to be in charge while I’m in Cali. Instead of my assistant photographer I want you to be my partner – I’ll run my Cali studio and you’ll run this one. We can still dotours and big photo shoots together.”

As Dirk’s words began to sink in the panic did too. “But…but…won’t people be mad? I mean they’re expecting you to take their pictures and then they’ll get…me.”

“Clark, everyone loves you and knows how talented you are. No one will be mad or disappointed when they find out you’re taking their pictures instead of me. Actually, they’ll all be happy since most of the guys we take pictures for are in love with you. So what do you say? Do you want to be my partner?”

“Yes! Of course! Oh my gosh, I can’t believe this!” I yelled as I stood up and began doing a happy dance. I knew I looked stupid but Dirk had seen me act like an idiot numerous times before so I didn’t really care.

“Do the two of you ever work?” I heard a voice behind me say. I turned around to see Tim smirking at me with the rest of the guys of The Maine behind him giving me weird looks – well all the guys except John who was laughing at me.

“Oh my gosh guys. Guess what? Dirk got a job in California with Cliché so I’m going to be running this studio while he’s out there. Instead of his assistant I’m now his partner,” I explained to the guys. I wasn’t sure if they comprehended what I said though because I said everything in a rush due to my excitement.

“Are you serious? That’s great!” John, who’d somehow made his way right next to me, said as he pulled me into a hug.

“She deserves it,” Dirk smiled at us.

“Sorry, I’m just really excited,” I blushed as I realized that I had practically attacked John.

“Don’t be sorry…you deserve to be this excited. This is huge news. I’m so proud of you,” John said as he pulled me into another hug.

John and I pulled away from our hug to see the guys staring at us.

“What the hell happened this weekend?” Garrett asked in disbelief.

“What do you mean?” I asked.

“Last week you guys had the most awkward hug I’ve ever seen and now you’re acting like you guys are an actual couple,” Garrett answered. “I just don’t understand.”

“Garrett’s right,” Tim spoke up. “Your relationship has done a complete 180 in a matter of days.”

John shrugged. “You guys are just jealous because now I’m Clark’s favorite.”

“I just made her my partner so I think I’m her favorite,” Dirk argued.

“I’ve been friends with her the longest,” Tim complained.

“Guys, stop arguing. You all should know that Gibbs is my favorite. I just love a guy with a mustache,” I winked at all of them as I laughed.

The guys rolled their eyes at me and then started to make their way back to one of the studios so they could take some picutres for a magazine or something. John stayed behind to say one last comment though.

“Hey, I just wanted to say again how proud of you I am,” John smiled down at me. “You really do deserve it.”

“Thanks. I’m excited but so nervous at the same time. What if I cause the Phoenix studio to completely crash and burn?”

“Not possible,” John shook his head. “You’re going to rock this.”

“Thanks,” I smiled gratefully.

“Anytime. I better go back before the guys come up here and bitch at me.”

I smiled and gave a wave to John as he made his way back to where the rest of the guys were. As I sat down at my desk I felt a weird feeling in my stomach – almost like butterflies. I quickly shook it away though and told myself I was just excited about the job. There was no way I could have feelings for John - we were just friends, and nothing more.
♠ ♠ ♠
Outfit

A bit of a filler but some important foreshadowing. Next chapter things start getting crazy again so be prepared :)

Huge thanks to:
marina2351
ginnygene
A-Book-Of-You-And-Me
ccaassaa