Status: Currently in progress

The Bones of You

Smashed Mementos and Ninja Feet

- Lena -

I watched Derek stalk off into the distance from my hotel room. His gait was the same as usual, hands shoved into his pockets. When his shadow disappeared, I pulled the curtains closed and stripped off my clothes. I could feel the dirt from the house lining my body so I hopped into the shower. The water was so hot I could feel my skin turning red within seconds. Afterwards I snuggled into bed and flipped open the teacher’s handbook for Beacon Hills High School. It was filled with the usual drab notations every school had so I tossed it aside. I had three days free before starting on Monday. I had to fill my time with something. I guess tomorrow would be a better time then not to find a place to live.

When I woke up the next morning, I set off on finding a place to call my home. With the paper the arrived in front of my door, which I didn't order, I set down at the table in my room and scoured the rental section. I found a few places that could work. I had a sizable amount of money saved up from years of working that wouldn't miss a few hundred for a security deposit and my parents were still insisting on helping me the first few months. I just wanted to get a place before my stuff arrived today. I couldn't have lab equipment sitting in a storage unit for god knows how long. I knew in the back of my head I should came earlier but it takes a while to get from Maine to California. I lost a day somewhere in Illinois. An old college friend invited me for a quick lunch before getting back on the road. That lunch then turned into dinner and that turned into three bottles of wine.

A few places later, I found the perfect spot, a spacious two bedroom home. It was off the main road, a bit back in the woods so it was great for seclusion. The bank had taken over it when the previous owner had passed. All it took was a sizable deposit and I was dragging my stuff in the door minutes later. It was partly furnished but thankfully the moving truck would be arriving today. After I called the moving company to let them know the new address, I removed the sheets from the couch and batted away the dust. I plopped myself down on the cozy cushions and looked about the room. Even though it was sparse and the furniture I had coming was not much, I realized that I would need help. The moving company would help by putting my pod on the drive but I couldn't move all the furniture by myself.

Well Derek, you asked me for a favor. Now it’s time for me to ask one of you.

“You want me to what?” he asked.

“The sooner I get all this stuff set up, the sooner I can help you guys out. It’s just some lab equipment,” I said.

“Liar. What else?” God could he hear my heartbeat over the phone?

“My bed, a couple of chairs, my kitchen stuff and my personal stuff,” I replied.

“This is payment for helping right?” He was annoyed. Well, at least I could still get to him. Feminine wiles, check.

“Yes. Might as well get Scott and Stiles to help since this is their problem also,” I said.

“What time?” An hour later the three were crossing the threshold with boxes for the kitchen.

Stiles, not proving to be strong like his friends because of his lack of wolfness, he helped me unpack the kitchen boxes. We got a good laugh when Derek and Scott argued over the position of the armchairs going through the doors and I found he was pretty funny. He was quick to do as I commanded after reminding him I controlled his biology grade too. Not a stupid kid.

“So how do you and Derek know each other?” he asked while I was stacking plates in his arms.

“I was lost and he found me,” I replied, not giving much thought to what I was saying.

“Do I sense a little Amazing Grace moment here or am I over thinking?” he asked.

I laughed. It was hard not to laugh at the kid. “I was kidnapped and my brother Logan asked him to help find me. Derek tracked me down and saved me,” I said.

“And Logan knew of Derek’s situation?” He knew how to pry. I had heard the Sheriff’s last name was Stillinski, so I guess he got it from his dad.

“Yes. Logan’s a keen observer and it didn't hurt that he came across Derek one night in the woods,” I said.

“Scott for the millionth time! I said to tilt the DAMN CHAIR TO THE SIDE!” Derek screamed from the doorway.

After the last piece of lab equipment had been set up, I let the boys lounge in the living room while they waited for the pizza to be delivered. I started to set up my room, pulling my mementos from the boxes. I hung a few pictures from years past when I came upon a picture I had not packed. It was Derek and I on the back porch of my childhood home. Luckily Derek had his eyes partially closed as he was looking down at my face from a chair. I was sprawled on the porch, looking up at him. I had kept this picture locked away in a drawer since the day he left.

My damn brother. He knew how much I was hurting still years later from Derek leaving. We had spent almost an entire year together. We were falling in love, I knew. Everyone knew and were waiting for us to make it official. Instead the day after I told him I was in love with him, I found a note on my dresser. In his recognizable handwriting was a simple sentence.

You deserve much better then me.
- Derek


By then I had figured out Derek’s situation, as Stiles had put it. I didn't care. I still wanted him and I hoped that he would feel the same way about me. But the note said to me he couldn't handle it, being a wolf and being with me. He chose to leave and I was left with all the memories surrounding me. One day, being the heartbroken 19 year old I was, I took a hammer out and bashed all the glass from the pictures I had of us together. There wasn't many. Derek hated having his picture taken because of the issue with his eyes. But it was cathartic. And I needed it.

“I remember that day,” Derek said from right over my shoulder. He snuck up rather quietly. It was something I would have to get used to again. I shoved the picture back in the box.

“Your damn ninja feet,” I sniped at him and went back to organizing my things. I could almost feel the dejection in his face when I turned to look at him.

“Pizza’s here,” he said and walked out of the room.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ninja feet, my assistant manager has them. She continuously scares the shit out me by appearing behind me.