Status: Currently in progress

The Bones of You

School House Rocks

- Scott -

“So what’s she like?” Allison asked me over lunch.

“Snarky. Snarky and smart. She would get along great with Lydia. Where is she by the way?” I asked.

“Avoiding Stiles. I think she’s doing some homework in the library. I don’t why because she’s going to see him in Biology,” Allison said and stabbed her salad with her fork.

“I don’t know why they don’t just get-”

“Get what?” Stiles asked as he put his tray down on the table.

“Get a teacher that’s local. I don’t know what makes her so qualified to teach,” I said. I was never good at covering my tracks when it came for my wish for Lydia and Stiles to get together but Miss Arlen was a distraction Stiles ran with.

“She finished her first two years of college during her last two years of high school. She has a degree from John Hopkins after that and got her teaching certificate within a year,” he said. We both stared at him. “I googled her.”

“Stiles,” Allison said sternly. She knew better to believe that.

“And I went through her stuff when she thought I was in the bathroom. Get this, I found a picture of her and Derek together,” he said.

“We already know they know each other,” I said.

“Yeah but they looked pretty cozy. Derek was smiling and looked genuinely happy. I can read body language you know and I think he wanted to get to know her a little better, if you know what I’m talking about,” he said. I rolled my eyes but Allison got that look on her face when she watched sappy romance movies.

“Do you think he was in love with her?” she asked. Oh god, here it comes.

“How the hell should I know? But there is tension between the two. I can sense it. Hey, where’s Lydia?” And there went Stiles.

In biology class, I did a cunning move and sat with Allison which forced Lydia to sit with Stiles. I could hear his heart race when she sat down next to him even though his exasperation was evident. Lena must have noticed it too because when she saw the two together, a smile spread across her face. It was going to be weird acting like we didn't know her during school hours but if it helped catch whatever was out there, it wouldn't be too much to ask.

As Miss Arlen rambled on, I drifted back to the night Stiles was attacked. I remember sniffing around the entire parking lot and finding no scent. I couldn't smell anything on Stiles either. Derek insisted he try as he was more experienced then me. He didn't pick up anything either and his frustration was evident. I walked in on him making a phone call which I guess was to Lena. I could hear the desperation in his voice, his racing heart.

“Please call me back. I don’t know what we’re dealing with. I know it’s been a long time but please, please,” he said.

And with a long sigh, he hung up the phone. He whirled around to throw it, anger overtaking him, but I caught it with one hand. I had startled him, taken him by surprise. Was the student finally surpassing the master?

“Whoa, what did the phone do to you?” I asked as I tossed it back to him.

“Nothing,” he said and walked out of the house.

That was it. Two nights later Lena shows up and today I put two and two together. Way to be slow on the uptake.

“Scott? Can you answer my question?” Miss Arlen asked from the front of the room.

“Photosynthesis?” I blurted out. Stiles snorted from behind me. Wrong answer.

“That is not how cells split. Nice try,” she said and went back to the blackboard.

And with that I made myself go back to the reality of the fact even though she knew my secret, she was still my teacher. I had to pay attention or she would be breathing down my neck whenever we met at her house. Thankfully we wouldn't be meeting at Derek’s old house anymore. I had enough of that place and having to go outside to use the facilities.

School passed by in a flash. We gathered at Lena’s discreetly when everyone was starting dinner. My mom worked another late shift so Allison and I had a bit of time to ourselves. I thought we were going to be the last to arrive but when Lena opened the door for us, only Stiles sat in the living room. He certainly made himself at home with his shoes kicked off and a glass of something in his hand. Lydia arrived right after us. Derek was nowhere in sight and I couldn't smell him. I guess Stiles was right, there was some tension between the two.

“Well I guess we can’t start without Derek. You guys want something to eat?” Lena asked us.

I could swear I could smell Stiles’ anticipation as Lena sat a plate in front of him. It was meatloaf but his eyes lit up at the full plate. Living with a single father was harder then a single mother. At least she could teach me how to survive on a few meals I could muster up myself. Stiles had his dad and I don’t think the Sheriff was a good cook. Sure he mastered the grill like no one’s business but when it came to other meals, I’m pretty sure Stiles had the microwave mastered.

We all dug in. There was nothing special about the meal and we were all quiet. I could hear the sounds outside. I could hear the deer in the trees and the rabbits in the brush. It was more then I could bear. I had to get a conversation started. I didn't know what exactly to talk about, so I did the next best thing.

“Ow! Asshole why’d you kick me?” Stiles exclaimed after my foot shot out at his.

“Scott, what bone did you hit?” Lena asked.

“Uh, no clue,” I responded and tried to hide my shame by shoving the instant mashed potatoes in my mouth.

“Stiles what bone did he hit?” she asked.

“The tibia. Dude seriously what the hell?” Stiles asked, clearly irritated.

“And that is why you’ll never pass Biology,” Lena said and went back to her meal.

Stiles glared at me from across the table. Lydia seemed too involved in her phone. Allison just let her gaze wander around the room. I guess I had to be the one to start the conversation. Perfect.

“So, how long have you and Derek known each other?” I asked. Everyone stared at me. Lydia, now being updated on the recent findings of Stiles, just rolled her eyes at me. Was that not a good question? There was a knock at the door.

“Thank you baby Jesus. I’ll get it,” Stiles said and pushed himself out of his chair. When he arrived back to the kitchen Derek was in tow.

“Grab yourself a plate and serve yourself,” Lena said.

“I don’t think now is a time for a meal,” he said.

“Grab a plate and serve yourself,” Lena said again more sternly. Derek stared her down for a few intense seconds before grabbing a plate.

After he had filled it with enough food to feed a small army I saw him look around the table to see the only open chair was at the head of the table directly facing Lena. He made a show of acting all manly as he sat down. He looked livid as he put his fork into his meatloaf and took a bite, not lifting his head to look at any of us.

“So Lena, are you going to answer Scott’s question?” Lydia asked as she twirled her fork around in her mashed potatoes.

“I hope this question had to do with the problem at hand,” Derek grumbled.

“No, he asked how long you and Lena have known each other,” she said, as casual as could be. Maybe I should’ve kicked her.

Everyone gave the same reaction, quiet staring. This time it was directed at Lydia.

“Now is not--”

“It’s fine Derek. Stiles already knows,” Lena interrupted. Derek tossed a glance towards Stiles with a hint of red in his eyes.

“She just told me she was kidnapped and you found her.” Stiles relayed the message with just an ounce of fear. He was getting braver around Derek.

“ We've known each other for five years though we haven’t seen each other in four. Derek decided to move on to other places,” Lena said.

“So did you guys date?” Lydia asked. Definitely kicking her next time. Stiles choked on his meatloaf.

“No!” Derek and Lena shouted at the same time.

It was quiet for a while after that. Everyone just ate in quiet solitude. Quiet annoying solitude. Though Derek and Lena seemed to have forgotten that it wasn't just Derek that had acute hearing. I could hear both their hearts racing when Lydia asked her last question.

“I think it’s time we get some experiments done. Anyone up for some science?” Lena asked. We almost raced to the basement.