Status: Currently in progress

The Bones of You

Chasing Cars is a Dog Thing Anyways

- Lydia-

Cramped in a smelly basement of a teacher I barely knew is not exactly how I intended to spend my night. Stiles keeps starting at me. I keep catching him and he tries to look away like it he didn't mean to do it. I know he means to, I've heard the words he said to me. I’m not as coldhearted as everyone thinks I am. His words have sunk in but this whole new vision of life scares me. Someone who sees me as I am, flaws and all, and doesn't seem to mind.

Derek kept to his corner far from Lena. It was interesting watching the two and it kept my mind off of Jackson. Stiles and Jackson to clarify. Their obvious sexual tension was filling the room you could barely move through it. Allison told me all about it after lunch, how Stiles had found the picture. I trusted his instincts. However misguided he may seem, he is smart. He doesn't hide it like me though, he just doesn't utilize it.

Lena was busy with the sample and her mass spectrometer that I was insanely jealous of. I didn't know many girls who count that in their personal effects. I wandered around, examining the equipment and the stuff Lena had decided to keep in the basement. Below a shelf was an opened box filled with CDs. Talk about archaic. I found a small CD player not far and plugged it in. I dug through the CDs until I found one interesting enough. It was a mix CD from the year 2007 guessing from the label. In a heavy handed permanent marker writing was a simple title, Our Year. I peered at the song titles. It seemed decent enough so I popped it in and let the first song play. The Fray came blaring over the speakers a little louder then I wanted, causing Derek and Scott to grab their ears.

“My bad,” I yelled as I turned the volume down. The song finished playing and the next song started. Suddenly both Lena and Derek went stiff. It was just a Snow Patrol song.

“Let me see that CD Lydia,” Derek said gruffly and grabbed the case out my hands.

Chasing Cars, it’s almost hilarious. Totally a thing a dog would do,” Stiles said as he tried to prevent himself from bursting into laughter.

“I had the same opinion once,” Lena said in a soft voice. She caught Derek’s eye and I swear they both smiled a little. A little side smirk was something that I could use.

Being bored of the song, I hit the next button. I could almost see the chills that erupted over Lena’s body. She visibly shivered as the song played.

Goodbye, my almost lover
Goodbye, my hopeless dream
I'm trying not to think about you
Can't you just let me be?
So long, my luckless romance
My back is turned on you
I should've known you'd bring me heartache
Almost lovers always do

I cannot go to the ocean
I cannot drive the streets at night
I cannot wake up in the morning
Without you on my mind
So you're gone and I'm haunted
And I bet you are just fine
Did I make it that easy
To walk right in and out of my life?


Derek’s face was stoic as usual but Lena’s screamed pain. So many questions but no one willing to give up answers. I stopped the cd and popped in another, settling on some generic classical CD that they sell at bookstores. If the small smirk was something to work with, the shiver was more building blocks.

For an hour, Lena spent her time over a microscope or analyzing the results from the mass spectrometer. She muttered to herself in a frustrated tone which increased in volume every passing minute. Finally, when I was about to pass out standing up, she slammed her fist down on the table. Turning to face us, she was still muttering and it was not looking good for us.

“Well?” Stiles asked.

“It’s faux,” Lena responded, a slight hint of anger in the undertone of her voice.

“What kind of animal is faux?” Scott asked. The whole room groaned. Allison whispered in his ear and I watched that boy turn fifty shades of red. Nice try Scott.

“It’s the stuff you find on jackets that are fur lined. So Stiles was attacked by a human, probably someone who ran into him,” she said and started to put her lab equipment. Did she have to do that now? I just wanted to touch all of it.

“They didn't just run into me. They body slammed me. They picked me up off of the ground and slammed me down, hence the bruises that are on this side of my body,” he said and pulled up his shirt to show the slowly fading bruises littering one side of his chest. I couldn't help at stare at the slight glimpse I got of his chest.

I’m just a human girl with wants and needs like everyone else.

“So we’re looking for a human?” Derek asked.

“Looks like it. I guess that’s why we couldn't sniff out a wolf. If I do remember, I smelled the faint hint of perfume. Something girly,” Scott said.

“Great, I got taken out by a human girl. Fan-freaking-tastic,” Stiles said and stomped off towards the steps just as someone was coming down.

“Issac, I see you finally arrived,” Derek muttered without turning around. There was a solemn look on the young werewolf’s face and when Derek turned to face him, his look turned sour. “What is it now?”

“You’re going to kill me,” he said, not stepping off the last step.

“Quite possible if you don’t tell me what is going on,” he growled.

“I ran home, my old home, to get some stuff before coming here like you asked. But when I got there, CPS was there. They caught me off guard and--”

“Spit it out.” The shit was about to hit the fan.

“They said unless I had a guardian I was going to become a ward of the state so I said you were my guardian,” he said.

Derek gritted his teeth and balled up his fists. I could almost taste the hostility pouring off of Derek’s body. Finally his body relaxed and he went still. I looked around the room and saw Lena quietly mouthing something. I couldn't hear what she was saying, but I knew Scott could. I’d have to grill him for details later.

“We’ll deal with this later.” Derek started to stride out of the room when Issac spoke again.

“They’re stopping by tomorrow to see what conditions I live in. So since I technically own the house now since dad paid for it all when mom died, I told them I lived there. Luckily I had cleaned up a bit before they got there. Otherwise I would be a ward of the state.” Derek’s eyes watched him as he relayed every word.

Resourceful. An idiotic mistake but he recovered quite nicely. I should get him a girlfriend. No one can resist those doe eyes.

“I’ll move some stuff in while I take care of rebuilding my home. But don’t think that I’m gonna be checking your homework and making you dinner,” Derek said as he walked by him.

“Not at all. I didn't think you could cook anyway,” Issac said. For once I think I caught sight of a genuine smile from him. Nice to see that all the depression and angst around here has finally toned down.