‹ Prequel: Unexpected
Sequel: Just Hold On.

No Excuses

Chapter 4

Chapter 4

I said my goodbyes to Raven, as she drove away in my Beamer. I was going to miss her but I needed some boy time.
“Hey, you ready for this weekend?” Tanger slapped me across the back.
“Yeah, I think so.”
“Glad we all got the same flight.”
“Yeah Crosby and his stupid superstitions. He had to have the seat next to Flower.”
“Sounds like Sid.”
“Will he ever change?”
“Nope.”
We boarded the plane. Me, Nealer, Tanger, Geno, Sid, Stephanie and Flower.
It wasn't a terribly long flight but Sid made it long for everybody.
“I am fine, Jesus Christ Sidney!”
There were chuckles from all over the plane. Thankfully it wasn't a full flight, only about 8 other people, that was a plus of taking a small plane.
We changed over in Charlotte and hit our connector into Wilmington.
Stephanie’s dad was waiting on us and we piled into his Suburban. We laughed, as he talked about the lockout and the stupid shit it was going to cause.
“I am worried about my generation and what it is going to do to us. A lot of us have done this too many times, the last was what 7-8 years ago. It is just total fucking bullshit.”
“DAD!” Stephanie shouted.
“Honey, I am a grown man.”
“I still don't want to hear you say that.”
“Oh what now that you are married to Sidney Fucking Crosby, I can't use the language I prefer?”
“Dad, please.”
“OK, but just when you are around.” he smiled over his seat at her.
Sidney was shotgun of course, while the rest of us were smashed into the back two seats. I was glad we had spent the day before with Sid, Steph and Raven. I missed her already, so I pulled my phone out and text her.
I am on the ground. 6 more days
Max

Don't count down the days enjoy your fun.
Raven

I miss you already
Max

I bet you do
Raven

You don't miss me?
Max

Nope
Raven

Liar
Max

Yup
Raven

I want to feel you...
Max

What do you miss my swallow?
Raven

Dirty little whore
Max

As I hit send I got blind sided by a slap to my chest.
“Damn Steph, that shit hurts.” I shrieked.
“Stop calling her that, she is not a dirty little whore.” Her hand went to her mout, which caused me to laugh out loud, at the look on her face. “Did you just tell the whole fucking car that I call her a whore?” I smirked.
She covered her face obviously embarrassed.
Stephanie just hit me for calling you that
Max

Good for her, is she red?
Raven

Yup!!!
Max

HAHAHA
Raven

Thing is she just told the car our secret code words
Max

Oh God, tell them to keep it to themselves
Raven

Is Briere coming down for a few days?
Max

Staal going to allow another Flyer in his house?
Raven

He is staying with me in the house next door with the three boys or at least I hope Didn't talk to him before I left
Max

Oh that sounds like fun. I have to get back to work. Phone sex later?
Raven

Maybe now?
Max

I am at work...
Raven

Ok well until later
Max

:)
Raven

We unloaded the truck and headed to our rooms. Steph and Sid took the master suite on the bottom floor and I the room at the top of the stairs. The other two would be for Briere and his kids.
He said they would fly down on Thursday and stay the last three days.
I asked him to keep an eye on Raven for me and he had obliged. Their relationship made me uncomfortable but I assumed it was innocent. They have more in common than her and I did and He was always calling her to go skate. She always told me but I trusted them or at least I hoped I did.

Raven’s point of view.

Wanna do lunch?
Raven

Yeah give me an hour
Danny

OK meet me here we can eat close by?
Raven

Sure, see you in a bit
Danny

I loved that Danny and I had become so close. The friendship had been instantaneous. He loved Sam and loved having him around. We didn't hang out at his house much because Giroux lived there and he still made me a little uncomfortable, but if I am honest he has been nothing but a gentleman to me.

I worked for a bit longer and Danny popped his head into my office.
“You ready.”
“Yeah let me send this email and then we can go". I clicked on the keyboard for another five minutes then hit send. I grabbed my purse and wrap off the back desk and walked over to him. He grabbed me in a hug. “I have missed you.”
“I missed you too.”
“How’s Sam?”
“He’s good he finally got your name right yesterday.”
“He could just call me Danny.”
“He is a last name kind of guy.”
“Yeah, well.”
We walked the short distance to the bistro by work and got an incredible seat outside.
Ladies kept stopping and asking for his autograph, which made him blush and sign. I never would get used to this.
“Does it ever get old?”
“Without all those ladies fawning all over us, we probably wouldn't have a job. The fans pay our salaries.”
“I guess that’s true.”
“God is it ever.”
We ate our lunch in peace for the most part and he walked me back to work.
“You going to be OK without Max or I here?”
“Yes overprotective brother of mine. I was fine before all of you and will be after.”
“I hope there isn't an after.”
“Danny how did you get so sweet, you big bad hockey player you.” I poked him in the side which made him giggle. “Don’t tell me Briere is ticklish.” I teased him.
“Yes I am and don't tell a soul. Women would be trying to tickle me all the time and I don't think I would ever hear the end of it.”
“I could just hear Simmonds now come over here Briere and let me give you a little tickle” I said in my best surfer voice. We both laughed as he walked me back to my office.
“Was that Danny Briere like Flyers Danny Briere?” my coworker asked me.
“Yes it was, please don't stalk him and make it weird.”
“If I bring my sweater will you at least get it signed for me?”
“Sure, would you like Talbot’s and Giroux’s too?”
“Oh my God, Max Talbot is H O T.” she swooned
“And also my boyfriend so hands off.”
The look that crossed her face was pure and total shock.
“Wait, The Max Talbot is your boyfriend?”
“Yes is that so hard to believe?”
“I just didn't realize her dated?”
“He does now, if you could excuse me I have work to do. Bring your Sweaters and I will have them signed for you.”
“Thank you Raven.”
“You got it.”
Fuck, was it always going to be this hard. Everyone knew his reputation. They knew I was a fool to believe that he would be different with me, he honestly, hadn't given me any reason to think differently.

Max’s point of view

The week had flown by and Danny would be in town today. The boys were going to Wilmington tonight to hit a club and Stephanie had decided to stay and play the Wii Flower brought with Danny’s boys.
Sidney had fought trying not to go but we made him.
The club was small and hot as hell. There was no relief from the North Carolina summer heat.
The women were all over us. They had no clue who we were but they were just like the bunnies up north.

Sidney’s point of view

I was trying not to be a grump but I didn't want to be here, I wanted to be with Steph. I should have just stayed home like I wanted too.
I watched as the boys danced with various women and had laughs. The night drug on and on.
FInally we were getting ready to go. Briere walked over to me and asking if I had seen Max.
“He was dancing with a blonde a little while ago but honestly, I haven't seen him in over an hour.”
“Fuck” Briere ran his hands through his hair.
“What do you mean Fuck?”
“Well I think he left.”
“He fucking left? With a chick?”
“I don't know but this isn't good. Fucking Max Talbot and his fucking dick.” Briere cursed
“I am a dead man when I get home. He had better have enough sense not to let Stephanie see him come home in the morning.”
“Man, what about Raven? Fuck Sidney what do I do?”
“Nothin yet. Let’s see what’s going on first.”
“OK but either you tell her or I do.”
“Chill Briere, Max is Max. If he fucked up then he fucked up. No use getting all freaked out about it. He knows what he’s doing.”

Max’s point of view

Fuck yeah, the women here are awesome, no fake tans here. I was drunk as hell in a strange city and had no clue how the fuck to get home, but this chick was ready to suck my dick so on we go. I had her pinned up against the brick wall outside of the club, her hands were all over me and I was kissing any skin I could touch. She smelled all wrong, my brain was a few steps behind my actions but I had this feeling that something wasn't right.

“Fuck, Max what the hell are you doing.” Sidney’s voice brought me back to the here and now.
I couldn't make words as I finally put two and two together.
“Get the fuck off of him.”
“Mind your business.” she snarked back at me “We are just having a little after hours fun.”
“Not anymore.” Sidney grabbed me by my collar almost pulling me down in the process.
“Max seriously, you have been away from Raven for four fucking days and this is what you do?”
I couldn't even look up. I could feel his anger flowing off of him.
“Briere, I got him in the car. Can we get the fuck out of here before I beat the ever loving shit out of him.” He slammed the phone down and looked back at me then slammed his hands on the steering wheel.
“Stephanie is going to have your as, you have fucked up this time. Raven is an awesome girl and she deserves so much more than you. I love you like a brother I swear I do, but Fuck man.”
I watched as each of the boys climbed back into the truck and Sidney sped through Wilmington headed to the house.
I exited the car walking to my room and shutting the door behind me.
I passed out across the bed.

Sidney’s point of view

“Stephanie please calm down, the baby.”
“Max fucking Talbot is going to get his ass kicked, if I have to do it myself.”
“I think he knows what he did. Which from what I saw wasn't much. I am just not so sure what would have happened if I hadn't found him when I did.”
“I fucking knew this was a bad idea, he isn't boyfriend material.”
“Steph he was drunk. We let him out of our sight so It is some our faults.”
“What that he can't keep his dick in his pants, how is that your fault? Did any of the rest of you make out or fuck other women?”
“Of course not.”
“So y’all can be faithful, just not him.”
“I can be faithful, I am trying so hard, My mind was working a million miles a minute and I knew something was wrong. Alcohol clouded my judgement.” Max spoke softly from the other side of the room.
Steph made a run for him but I grabbed her arm, tucking her against me.
“Look I fucked up, I get it and I feel terrible.”
“You fucking should, you bastard.” She screamed at him.
“Steph please calm down.” I soothed her.
“Max you have to call her, tell her what happened.” Danny popped into the room.
“If I tell her, it will be over.”
“That's a chance you are going to have to take. If you don't tell her one of us will.” Danny made it final. I knew Steph would give Max the day to call her but I wasn't so sure Briere would.
“I will call her. I just have to get myself together first.”
Max hung his head and walked from the room.
♠ ♠ ♠
uh oh...